cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roto- Chock and 6 point leveling???

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I know Roto-Choc is done but I found the guy that was sticking them and he has the one I need, he can't get them anymore. My question is with the 6 point level are they still the best option, one guy on here said he didn't use his because the tire move when leveling and could cause damage??? My old ones are too small need the xl and he's hot a set. What are yall 6 point users doing for wheel chicks????
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
11 REPLIES 11

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
retispcsi wrote:
The yellow chocks are used to prevent the fiver from rolling away on uneven ground after unhooking. Happen once a long time ago.

Yep, we about put a Jayco Designer 3030RKSS 5th wheel in a creek in the Smoky Mountains back in 1996 while hitching up unchocked.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, use the old fashion yellow chocks. You can use Roto or X, BUT then you must remember to loosen them prior to bringing up the rear jacks. Now if you have the Mor/ryde IS there isn't a problem, just with normal springs with the center equalizer the distance between the wheels changes. Been there done that.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I use the yellow plastic chicks. I put them down on either side of the wheel lower the front jacks unhook and hit auto level. You should not need anything else. The yellow chicks are used to prevent the fiver from rolling away on uneven ground after unhooking. Happen once a long time ago.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
Roto or "X" chocks to be applied after leveling unit and removed before making any kind of leveling, up or down, or side to side movement of RV.

So you start your leveling and (perhaps more importantly) hitch up to your tow vehicle with the RV unchocked?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
RVing 4 FUN wrote:
I had Roto-Chok with my previous Jayco.....loved them.
Now I have a Big Sky.....love the 6 point level up system. However, the Roto-Choks caused continue problems....I found putting them on prior to leveling the rig(putting them on when I had just disconnected from the tow rig) caused an issue when taking them off after re-hooking up. Most of the time they would shift between the wheels when I lowered the trailer (the wheels adjusted the distance between themselves)and the rotochoks would jam between the wheels and be extremely difficult to remove.
I have a set....but don't use them. They are a wonderful product, but not with the 6 point level up system.

Roto or "X" chocks to be applied after leveling unit and removed before making any kind of leveling, up or down, or side to side movement of RV.

I have 6 pt. leveling system and use "X" chocks every time I unhook from TV.

Lakeside

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'm gonna do like most and not use them. I'll keep a few yellow wedges with me cause when it's all 6 down its not moving and rock solid! The Roto-Choc is a great product, guy told me when the lady died the man took over and when he died he thinks the rights to the Choc got lost in the mess. He no longer can sell or get access to them.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
When I got my trailer with the 6 point I did away with the roto choks and just use the yellow chocks that just wedge under the trailer wheels.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

RVing_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I had Roto-Chok with my previous Jayco.....loved them.
Now I have a Big Sky.....love the 6 point level up system. However, the Roto-Choks caused continue problems....I found putting them on prior to leveling the rig(putting them on when I had just disconnected from the tow rig) caused an issue when taking them off after re-hooking up. Most of the time they would shift between the wheels when I lowered the trailer (the wheels adjusted the distance between themselves)and the rotochoks would jam between the wheels and be extremely difficult to remove.
I have a set....but don't use them. They are a wonderful product, but not with the 6 point level up system.

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure if I will continue to use mine or not (just got the new rig with 6 point). Two of the leveling pads are right near the axle, so I wouldn't think I'd get much bounce/motion out of the wheel area. I will take them along on the next trip and try it both ways. Regardless, I have always put them on after leveling, so I don't see how that could damage anything.
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD DRW, CC, Duramax, 4x4, Curt 20K hitch

2015 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

2020 Forest River Wolfpack 365Pack16 Toyhauler with a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture in the garage

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you need wheel chocks when the weight of the trailer is supported by the 6 levelers? Wheel chocks keep the trailer from moving forwards and backwards. :S
HR

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
I know Roto-Choc is done but I found the guy that was sticking them and he has the one I need, he can't get them anymore. My question is with the 6 point level are they still the best option, one guy on here said he didn't use his because the tire move when leveling and could cause damage??? My old ones are too small need the xl and he's hot a set. What are yall 6 point users doing for wheel chicks????

Are roto-chocs like x-chocks? With x-chocks, you need to put them on after leveling.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali