cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Ovens

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
OK, all, need some cooking advice. My old Komfort did not have an oven, so I've never played with one before, let alone =any= gas oven. Biggest issue is how in hell do you get stuff to brown ON TOP?! Bottoms can get nice and brown (or black) but the tops don't even looked cooked. Baked some biscuits and the bottoms were perfect and the only way we could get the tops brown was to put them on a camp toaster! Had the rack in the highest position. Anyone? TIA...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
35 REPLIES 35

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Ours pretty much operates just like the one in the house. Just un-cover the food to brown the top.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
smarty wrote:
To brown the top place the pan under the oven burner. Our oven has equal space above and below the burner

Hmmmm...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
To brown the top place the pan under the oven burner. Our oven has equal space above and below the burner

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
larry barnhart wrote:
we use our oven the same as we do in our home.

chevman

What I thought, too, but my oven at home browns the =tops= of things, not just the bottoms...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
we use our oven the same as we do in our home.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never cook with charcoal. It runs out and is bulky to carry around. I use wood. No counting and formulas.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
rjsurfer wrote:
Seneca 35GS wrote:
I had a 17" RV oven in our MH and used both a pizza stone and a 'air bake' cookie sheet with fair results.
My friend purchased a new "Grand Design" 5th wheel with a 22" Furrion oven. The Furrion had a piezo igniter and a oven light, plus it was 4" taller. Last year I removed my old oven and installed a new Furrion. It is truly a great oven, no leaks and lights without getting on the floor. I lost 4" of pan storage space but the new oven cooks just like my oven at home.

Love our Furion oven, especially the glass door. We hang an analog temp gauge from the wire rack and can see the exact inside temperature.

It has a nice inside light and oven piezo starter.

Ron W.

Ron, does your Furrion have the fan in it? I hate that SOB when I'm trying to start the oven but assume it helps even heat during baking. I wish it could come on when the oven reaches set temperature instead of during pilot light.

No fan in my oven.

I could see how one would effect pilot light.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ppine wrote:
I like a Dutch Oven on the fire for baking. The shallow "bread ovens" are best. Use more coals on top than on the bottom for browning. On my 65th birthday I baked a pineapple right side up cake 25 miles from the nearest road.

Correct. 3-4 briquettes underneath and a dozen, or so, on top...depending. This from a friend who's a competitive dutch oven cook.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
Seneca 35GS wrote:
I had a 17" RV oven in our MH and used both a pizza stone and a 'air bake' cookie sheet with fair results.
My friend purchased a new "Grand Design" 5th wheel with a 22" Furrion oven. The Furrion had a piezo igniter and a oven light, plus it was 4" taller. Last year I removed my old oven and installed a new Furrion. It is truly a great oven, no leaks and lights without getting on the floor. I lost 4" of pan storage space but the new oven cooks just like my oven at home.

Love our Furion oven, especially the glass door. We hang an analog temp gauge from the wire rack and can see the exact inside temperature.

It has a nice inside light and oven piezo starter.

Ron W.

Ron, does your Furrion have the fan in it? I hate that SOB when I'm trying to start the oven but assume it helps even heat during baking. I wish it could come on when the oven reaches set temperature instead of during pilot light.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like a Dutch Oven on the fire for baking. The shallow "bread ovens" are best. Use more coals on top than on the bottom for browning. On my 65th birthday I baked a pineapple right side up cake 25 miles from the nearest road.

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom was always my favorite part of the buscuit! We always cook upside down biscuits in the rv!
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well we also pizza stone users, bakes in both the convection microwave and the gas oven. The plan for Thanksgiving is 12# turkey in the gas oven.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bpounds wrote:
Couple other things that should help...

Turn your biscuits upside down to bake.

Put more gravy on top. Lots more.

🙂

Huh? There's no top or bottom to a biscuit...until you bake it, AFAIK. :B As for gravy, love it, but have to severely limit my intake. Those d@mn carbs, y'know? Hard on the pancreas. 😞

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Couple other things that should help...

Turn your biscuits upside down to bake.

Put more gravy on top. Lots more.