cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saddle Truck Box and clearance with a Fifth Wheel

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Do saddle truck boxes cause clearance issues when making sharp turns with a fifth wheel trailer?

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW with an 8-foot long bed. I plan to get a Montana fifth wheel trailer and would like to use the Andersen hitch.

I would like to also have a 27" (extra wide) saddle truck box mounted at the typical location at the front of the bed behind the cab. The truck box sits proud above the bed rails by 7-1/2".

Will I run into clearance problems of the fifth wheel nose hitting the truck box with sharp turns with such a setup?

If so, would the standard 21" wide saddle truck box make enough of a difference?
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
22 REPLIES 22

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
scottkeen wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Why not not get a below rail tool box and problem solved! Then you can also add a tonneau cover. :B

The main reason for an above rail saddle box over a below rail storage chest for me is:

By putting in a below rail storage chest, I lose about 2 feet of bed length, ending up with about a 6-foot bed.

With an above rail saddle box, I can still shove 8-foot sheets of plywood or 8-foot 2x4 sticks under the saddle box.

But if an above rail saddle box will definitely interfere with the fifth wheel nose, then I'll have to re-think this whole box idea.

I have a trifold tonneau cover that when folded is approximately 3 inches high. I have 6 1/2 inches clearance between truck rail and fifth wheel. Twice when maneuvering I hit the front cap. Last time I broke it. There is no way 7 inch box will work.

I take the cover off and store it when towing. This even with a Pull Rite auto slide hitch. None slider would make it even worse.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
scottkeen wrote:
BTW, as I was looking into tonneau covers (to cover tool chests or tote boxes), I came across the TruXedo brand.

I'm interested in their TruXedo TruXport tonneau cover. It installs on top of the bed rails and sits up 1.5" above the rail, hopefully that will be OK. The reason I don't like the tonneau that mounts to the inside edges of the bed rails is because you lose about 3" of bed space on either side and it sits 1.0" above the rail only saving half an inch.

But what I found really interesting is their TruXedo TonneauMate truck box. It mounts to the tonneau rail and the box sits BELOW the bed rails but doesn't reach down to the bed floor so I can shove 8-foot lumber under the box. IOW, it's a lot like a saddle truck box but below the bed rails. I'd say it's the best of both worlds, but it's no Weather Guard truck box and costs a pretty penny.

Anyway, it's an option.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

Well that is one solution, not sure if that tool box would hold all I carry.

I have a TruXsport roll up Tonneau cover and love it the 1" is not an issue.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
scottkeen wrote:
Lar's wrote:
I have a flip bak that folds toward the front so it sits probably as high as a box, and about 2' deep so I'd say, no problem.

How high above the bed rails does your bakflip sit when it's folded towards the front?

The truck box sits above the bed rails by 7-1/4"

They make one that only sits maybe 2' above the rails. I h ave seen them, but do not remember the brand name.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
scottkeen wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Above bed tool boxes are a BIG no no.

Thanks, that's why I asked. I assume it's a "big no no" because it converts my 8-foot long bed into basically a 6-foot short bed?

Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is what you want, also this is the hitch you want!

Andersen Ultimate Hitch is no good?

No the front of the RV can hit the above bed type of tool boxes.

Hang around and do some research on the Andersen and the B&W.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, as I was looking into tonneau covers (to cover tool chests or tote boxes), I came across the TruXedo brand.

I'm interested in their TruXedo TruXport tonneau cover. It installs on top of the bed rails and sits up 1.5" above the rail, hopefully that will be OK. The reason I don't like the tonneau that mounts to the inside edges of the bed rails is because you lose about 3" of bed space on either side and it sits 1.0" above the rail only saving half an inch.

But what I found really interesting is their TruXedo TonneauMate truck box. It mounts to the tonneau rail and the box sits BELOW the bed rails but doesn't reach down to the bed floor so I can shove 8-foot lumber under the box. IOW, it's a lot like a saddle truck box but below the bed rails. I'd say it's the best of both worlds, but it's no Weather Guard truck box and costs a pretty penny.

Anyway, it's an option.

2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, all kinds of great advice of "been there, done that" Thanks guys, seriously!
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago,we had (the emphasis here โ€œhadโ€) a box above the rails. The front of the 5er quickly found it. We go places that most do not go, but I contend โ€œitโ€™s not if...but whenโ€, will it make contact!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
scottkeen wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Above bed tool boxes are a BIG no no.

Thanks, that's why I asked. I assume it's a "big no no" because it converts my 8-foot long bed into basically a 6-foot short bed?

Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is what you want, also this is the hitch you want!

Andersen Ultimate Hitch is no good?

We had a BakFlip tri-fold cover on our previous truck and it didn't come near 7.5" folded up. While we had no issues with the cover and the fifth wheel, I would also not recommend a box that's 7.5" above the bed rails - even with an 8' bed. For that reason, we have one of the boxes shown above that sits down completely in the bed.

We pulled our first 12K miles full-timing with an Andersen and it's a fine hitch. We use a Pull-Rite now because we couldn't get the adapter for the Andersen in time when we traded trucks. I was - and still am - an "Andersen fanboy," but the conventional hitch is easier for me to hitch up by myself. If you go with the Andersen, DO NOT put a Roto-Flex pin box on your trailer.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
scottkeen wrote:
DReisinger wrote:
I looked at a above the rails box, but with a box that high, could not see the hitch for hookup to the fiver.

Ah, more reasons the above rail saddle box is out.

The below rail storage chest is out for me too, because I don't want to lose 2 feet of bed length when I have to drill and bolt that storage box to the bed.

I'm liking the tote boxes and tonneau cover idea now.

Thanks all.

I don't have my tool box bolted to the floor as I refuse to drill holes in the bed. I fasten mine down to the in bed tie downs. I use a ring bolt that I drill and mount in the side of my tool box with fender washers and locking nuts on each eye ring bolt. I then run chains on both sides of the box to the tie downs and back to the ring on the box and padlock both sides of chains with matching locks. Then to keep the box from moving I run a turnbuckle from the ring back to the truck tie downs and tighten them down.

I have had a box in my truck since 2006 this way and have never had a problem with it.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is loosing the bed length but the height of the box. Most 5ers only have around 6 to 7" of clearance between the bed rails and the bottom of the trailer over hang. So you have taken over 2' of bed length away from the bed and when you do a turn the trailer is going to turn and try to occupy the same space as the tool box. Figure the hitch places the pin about 2" in front of the rear axle so as you trailer starts to turn at up to a 90* if backing up. Not good situation.

I have a Mega cab Ram which only has a 6'4" bed but I'm running a sidewinder that moves my pivot point on my 5er back 22". So this gives me about the same distance from the cab to the pivot point of the trailer as a long bed. My 5er has about 9" from bed rails to the over hang of the 5er. When I just turn the truck going forward I have about 12 to 14" between the 5er and my cab.

Now even if you had 8 to 9" of bed rail clearance and was doing a hard left or right turn and the trailer wheels on that side dropped into a hole that .5 to 1.5" clearance woukd get disappear very quickly. Also if the truck tires could fall into a hle that you didn't see and this would be the same results.

In all of this I'm saying not a good idea IMO.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
DReisinger wrote:
I looked at a above the rails box, but with a box that high, could not see the hitch for hookup to the fiver.

Ah, more reasons the above rail saddle box is out.

The below rail storage chest is out for me too, because I don't want to lose 2 feet of bed length when I have to drill and bolt that storage box to the bed.

I'm liking the tote boxes and tonneau cover idea now.

Thanks all.
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the best compromise would be a couple of large tote boxes strapped against the front of the bed that I can easily remove when I need to put something 8-feet long in the bed, and a tonneau cover to protect the tote boxes from prying eyes, that I can roll-up when I'm towing the fiver.
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
scottkeen wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Why not not get a below rail tool box and problem solved! Then you can also add a tonneau cover. :B

The main reason for an above rail saddle box over a below rail storage chest for me is:

By putting in a below rail storage chest, I lose about 2 feet of bed length, ending up with about a 6-foot bed.

With an above rail saddle box, I can still shove 8-foot sheets of plywood or 8-foot 2x4 sticks under the saddle box.

But if an above rail saddle box will definitely interfere with the fifth wheel nose, then I'll have to re-think this whole box idea.

I have hauled plenty of 8โ€™ lumber and plywood in my truck just need to put the tailgate down.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"