cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling Fifth Wheel Hitches - How To

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Recently upgraded truck to a RAM with Pucks.
My stand-by for resale is FB Marketplace.
So far, zero interest.
I hate Craig's List because of the scammers, but, I placed an ad there recently. Nothing but scammers, so far.
Anyone have thoughts on how to reach potential interested buyers besides these two options.
Are there local "For Sale" pages that target campers?
Thanks,
24 REPLIES 24

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Went thru this last year...finally asked one of the park staff to help me get it into the dumpster.

You tossed a 5er hitch into a dumpster?

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a PM. Thanks,

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
humblerb wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
The adapter will work very well, IMO a great choice, some have disagreed with the adapters ,but similar to bed rails other than it can be removed . Being born in the 40's I had no problem with the 75 lbs. FYI the slider although you don't need it will work just fine with the adapter ,no problem there .

Finding out after many trips with my fifth wheel my existing slider was not needed with both trucks I used it with . Previous truck Ford Superduty 350 short bed. My present truck 2014 Ram 3500 short bed , or as they call them now standard bed ๐Ÿ™‚ I now tow with the steel Andersen hitch ,that also attaches to my adapter on my Ram truck . My Reese 18K slider is more or less a paper weight sitting in my garage. Never have attempted to sell it, I may some day, or just give it away.

Got the adapter last week. Surprisingly, it was already assembled.
I put it in and just had to adjust thee front pieces a half turn.
Fits like a glove.
Also, the slider does work with it - not that I will need it any longer. I guess the B&W guy was just telling me what he had heard about the adapter.
Thanks again for the help.

Thats good to hear . Same here ,had to adjust a couple of the lugs , ,and never touched them again . The adapter is a great solution for an existing hitch that fit the standard bed rails , or the way to go if you want to go a hitch for standard bed rails ,with trucks with the fifth wheel factory prep .

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Went thru this last year...finally asked one of the park staff to help me get it into the dumpster.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Simply use email until you feel the person is legit.

Read - delete, read - delete, skip, etc.
Legit?? Return e-mail, negotiate, etc.

A "GPP" - GENUINE PITA PROCESS...:S

*IF* you have the time to waste - more power to ya....:C

~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simply use email until you feel the person is legit.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
humblerb wrote:

I hate Craig's List because of the scammers, but, I placed an ad there recently. Nothing but scammers, so far.
Anyone have thoughts on how to reach potential interested buyers (??)

Thanks,

VERY easy solution:

To eliminate scammers, dealers, tire kickers, etc. AND eliminate phone calls at "in-opportune" times (early AM, etc.) - also no need to reply or "filter" e-mail you receive.

Here ya go - example is Craigs List. Get a "voice mail ONLY" answering service. Cost is usually about $8. per month - sometimes requires a minimum of 3 month subscription.

You use that phone number for/in your advertisement. (NO e-mail)

On your outgoing message (what callers hear) is a brief repeat of what you have for sale. (The one I use has a maximum outgoing message of 5 minutes - I only needed about one minute).

Advise the callers it's voice mail ONLY, leave their phone number, and you will return calls in the order they were received. Don't return obviously bogus calls!

When you call them use a "burner" cell phone, like a TracPhone flip phone. The person/s you call do *not* have your "real" phone number to bug you - unless and until the caller passes the "litmus test" as a serious buyer! (And - NO, I didn't skip to the callers that offered more than asking price)

BTW - your flip phone is handy to leave in your vehicle in case of a break-down, etc. - normally "off" (If you pay annually it's about $7 per month).

Here's two of my CL success stories:
#1. (both before Covid). 20 ft TT for sale. Listed on CL about midnight, and turned in for the night. Next day about 5PM, I checked my voice mail.

WOW !! - 95 calls ! Although some were repeat callers who didn't catch on to - the phone would not be answered. Some were what the OP called "scammers". Two even offered more than the asking price.

#1. I returned the first call (caller left his number at 2AM !!)
He was a serious buyer - was at my home (from about 50 miles away) by
9PM with "asking price" CASH in hand. Done deal - in less than 24 hours!

#2. CL again. Aluminum fishing boat. Same procedure. About ten calls. Again, first caller purchased boat the day following the listing for/with the asking price in CASH. He was closer - about 5 miles away. Done deal, the day after posting the ad.

Before listing either of the above, I thoroughly researched what was at least a "reasonable" asking price for each (via comparables, in equally nice condition) - no trades, cash only.

When the item is sold - post a NEW outgoing message to that effect.

Hope that helps - sure worked for me - and will be my "go to" plan for anything I wish to sell in the future!!....:C

~

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
The adapter will work very well, IMO a great choice, some have disagreed with the adapters ,but similar to bed rails other than it can be removed . Being born in the 40's I had no problem with the 75 lbs. FYI the slider although you don't need it will work just fine with the adapter ,no problem there .

Finding out after many trips with my fifth wheel my existing slider was not needed with both trucks I used it with . Previous truck Ford Superduty 350 short bed. My present truck 2014 Ram 3500 short bed , or as they call them now standard bed ๐Ÿ™‚ I now tow with the steel Andersen hitch ,that also attaches to my adapter on my Ram truck . My Reese 18K slider is more or less a paper weight sitting in my garage. Never have attempted to sell it, I may some day, or just give it away.

Got the adapter last week. Surprisingly, it was already assembled.
I put it in and just had to adjust thee front pieces a half turn.
Fits like a glove.
Also, the slider does work with it - not that I will need it any longer. I guess the B&W guy was just telling me what he had heard about the adapter.
Thanks again for the help.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Let me add , its a solid connection that frame, it locks to your four factory pucks, and there is no movement or slop . The only movement you will have is the same as you had connected to the bed rails with your four pins, which on mine is nothing I can detect .

Its nice to go directly to the four pucks , and if I was starting from scratch , that's what I would do , but nothing wrong with this setup other than another part to take out if a clean bed is needed. In my case ,I don't bother there is no need for a completely clean bed . IMO its great option, the adapter with already having a hitch , and considering yours is pretty new .

Cummins2014 - Thanks for your info. As a guy born in the 50s, it is hard for me to just order major items on Amazon, especially items that weigh 75# plus.
I did go to the place where I bought the hitch 3 years ago. They do not sell Reese products, but the guy there grabbed a tape measure and looked up specs on my truck and the adapter, then went to my truck and measured the puck locations.
That showed me that the adapter will work.
It should arrive tomorrow.
Once I get it and get it set up, I likely will find why the slider won't work with it. But, with my long bed, I certainly won't need the slider. Just curious.
Oh yeah, I did pull the trigger on the 2021 3500 before Christmas.
Thanks again for your input.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Market place is probably your best option

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tyler0215 wrote:
You will probably have better luck selling your hitch in 3 or 4 months.

No doubt, that is when I sold mine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think hitchtrader.com is still viable.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This ^^^^^.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine