cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sensor Cleaner

frizfreleng
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use Caravan Overnight Sensor Cleaner or a similar product? If you have do they work?
14 REPLIES 14

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My black tank goes to 3 bars on the meter after a flush of all liquid. A couple hours later it will read 1 bar. Even when the tank is empty it is possible for the sensor to simply get wet.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GEO Method: 50/50 mix of Calgon (Borax also seems to work) and original Dawn diswashing liquid. Many, many people swear by this. That, and always leaving a few gallons of water in the tank whenever possible.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What about the sensors mounted on the outside of the tanks that simply don't work well either???

What about general and incorrect statements that do not work from someone who has evidently never had "outside sensors"? What external system are you referring to?

I installed on our current trailer, and had on our previous two trailers, SeeLevel systems from Garnet Instruments. I have yet to have an issue with them not working or reading inaccurately.

EXACTLY what you provided a link to.

Grey valve is OPEN and look what the level shows, usually it's 13% when the valve is opened.

Mine have always read 0 with tanks empty / valves open.

In that case either the sending unit / strip was installed too low on the side of the tank, or the tanks hold residual fluid when the valve is open. Another thing that may cause that is the sending unit being installed too close to ferrous metal but thats hard to accomplish, especially on black and gray tanks that hang from spreaders.

The Seelevel system is problem free and close to perfect if the installation recommendations and instructions are followed. There is very little that can go wrong with it. You can't blame Seelevel for installer error.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What about the sensors mounted on the outside of the tanks that simply don't work well either???

What about general and incorrect statements that do not work from someone who has evidently never had "outside sensors"? What external system are you referring to?

I installed on our current trailer, and had on our previous two trailers, SeeLevel systems from Garnet Instruments. I have yet to have an issue with them not working or reading inaccurately.

EXACTLY what you provided a link to.

Grey valve is OPEN and look what the level shows, usually it's 13% when the valve is opened.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
We have not had any issues with our outside tank sensors.

chevman

Yea but Alpenlite/Western RV most likely did a good job of installation.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have not had any issues with our outside tank sensors.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I've tried all sorts of things including dish soap, dishwasher soap, and a whole tub of Oxy clean.
The only thing that really worked was a wand down the toilet aimed at the sensors.
Nothing worked for the grey tank.
Most of us learn to ignore the tank sensors and just go by time and use.

Done all that too. Grey works but nothing helps the black. After dumping we put a few gallons of water into it to slosh around as we go down the road.

Gave up on the sensor. It goes to no lights or one light on emptying but after one 'deposit' it reads full again. We dump every 3-6 days. Whatever is convenient. Don't pay any attention to the lights. They are fullofit.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
We use Calgon water softner right at the beginning of an outing. It does help by allowing things to slide a little better. Not perfect but with easier to rinse out in our opinion.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
Quote: โ€œMost of us learn to ignore the tank sensors and just go by time and useโ€

You nailed it on the head!

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a bottle of the Caravan but have yet to use it. I guess time will tell. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've tried all sorts of things including dish soap, dishwasher soap, and a whole tub of Oxy clean.
The only thing that really worked was a wand down the toilet aimed at the sensors.
Nothing worked for the grey tank.
Most of us learn to ignore the tank sensors and just go by time and use.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've heard dishwasher soap works.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5