cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be concerned about my hitch?

pattirv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 36' fifth wheel toy hauler. I will be taking a trip soon so I have been assessing the condition of the truck and trailer. I have been given conflicting information on the hitch condition. There is a bit of surface rust on the hitch. Should I be concerned about this?

Moderator edit to fix image URLs
13 REPLIES 13

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
My 18K Reese is 12 years old ,and looks better then both that B&W ,and that Curt. The Curt is rusty ,do we know how old, what environment etc etc . Steel rusts, if exposed ,I don't care what hitch it is. Its obvious that Curt hitch has been neglected ,if taken better care of this thread would not exist. Its also obvious the OP does not know whats bad ,and whats just a bit of surface rust.

I would clean that handle up ,and see if it jut surface rust or worse. No need to condemn the brand of hitch because of neglect .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine has been setting out in the weather for 5 years now, only rust is where I have chipped off the paint.

That handle should NOT rust like that as it is supposed to slide in and out easily. Pic is one of an in-laws Curt that came with his RAM truck. He did not like it at all.

My hitch has faded for sure as it sets in the Sun 365. Missing lube plate and a few bumps have some surface rust. Notice the parts that count there is NOT a spec of rust.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
What they got is a hitch that’s sat in the weather , steel rusts, even B&W . Clean it up , and repaint .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chinese Made so that's what ya get over time. Besides they are NOT easy to unhitch when RV and Truck are on different planes.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
The hitch looks pretty beat up and sorry to say abused. When you see rust start that is when you should address it and clean it, then repaint. I have had some rust on my plate, but I wire brushed it and repainted it. Do you use a Nylon disk between the hitch and trailer. That supplies lubrication so you do not have metal to metal contact. Do not use grease. Does any area of the hitch show cracks. When you pull the handle does it open and close easily? If you have an RV repair shop near you, it might be a minimal fee to get an expert opinion.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
pattirv wrote:
I have a 36' fifth wheel toy hauler. I will be taking a trip soon so I have been assessing the condition of the truck and trailer. I have been given conflicting information on the hitch condition. There is a bit of surface rust on the hitch. Should I be concerned about this?

Here are your pictures below.
If it was my hitch I would just sand and repaint.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a new hitch!!! Why run the risk and worry about if the old hitch is going to be safe and possibly cause an accident!!!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You should remove from truck
Disassembly
Clean/Wire brush rusted areas
Repaint
and Clean/Lube all pivoting points/jaws etc

Hitch is solid just needs some loving care

Ditto on that
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pattirv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the opinions!

The conflicting opinions were not from anyone who had seen the hitch and I can't say with any certainty that they are competent RV people. Which is what prompted my post. I'll give the hitch some attention and go from there.

And I agree, better safe than sorry. A new hitch is less expensive than the problem a bad hitch can create.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Can't see anything that is bad enough to condemn hitch.
Check the bolts that attach to frame.
Wire brush and repaint with good quality paint such as Hammerite or rustoleum.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is hard to judge the integrity of a hitch, by looking at a pic. You say you are getting conflicting info. Is this from people actually inspecting the hitch? A competent person should be able to inspect, clean up, and restore your hitch to be used safely. If there is any question of it not being safe, I'd replace it. A quality standard rail hitch is not that expensive.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should remove from truck
Disassembly
Clean/Wire brush rusted areas
Repaint
and Clean/Lube all pivoting points/jaws etc

Hitch is solid just needs some loving care
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Broken images
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.