cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway - Limits

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me what if any size limits there are on the Skyline DRive - Blue Ridge Parkway. I do know there are several tunnels with low clearances. One is only 10.6 around Mile Marker 459 according to the truckers atlas.Not sure where MM 459 is??
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started
7 REPLIES 7

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have traveled the Skyline drive(VA) portion of the Pkwy from Front Royal to the NC line. As I suspected, the tunnels could be a real problem as well as campsite availability. Keep the info coming -- Thanks again.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
We have spent a lot of time in western NC and on the Skyline in the last 20 years, and I can assure you that working anything more than a popup over the Parkways is a PITA.

Best way is to find a nice campground just off of the parkway and then spend two or three days exploring the area with the TV. Move North or South on the regular highways to a new area and repeat.

Not only are the tunnels a problem, but the scenic overlooks are often SMALL and the weather can change in a big hurry. There is nothing like getting caught above a thunderstorm with a 35 footer.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly what John Bridge said above. We traveled it in a 34 foot fifth wheel that was 12'-8" high. Not a problem at all....AS LONG AS, you travel through the CENTER of the arch tunnels. You nee to make sure you can pass through when no traffic coming the other way, so you can straddle the center line. There is good clear sight lines to do that without any problems.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

John_Bridge
Explorer
Explorer
I went through the first tunnel with my fiver which is 13'3'' tall. I waited until I could see no one approaching from the other end and then went through about two feet over the center line.

The tunnels are of the Roman arch type. High in the middle and lower over toward the sides. It can be done. You could even post your co-pilot at the far end as a road guard. ๐Ÿ™‚

The big problem is that there is only one campground you can get a large trailer into, and it's usually packed full. ๐Ÿ™‚
Semi-"retarred" in 2006. ๐Ÿ™‚ 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blue Ridge mile markers start at ZERO in VA and ends in NC. 459 will be in NC.
Best bet is get your information from the BLUE RIDGE web sites...

We have traveled the Blue Ridge many times and have camped at their tent sites mostly and many trips with our POPUP. There is a camp ground roughly every 50 miles and only a few places to get gasoline on the Blue Ridge. The real bad areas road wise is getting on and off at the sub roads. Lots of curves and steep inclines... Traveling the Blue Ridge at dusk and early evenings is dangerous due to wildlife. Deer everywhere all along the parkway. Best bet is the major roads ON-OFF points that cross the Blue Ridge...

Its a great trip... The Blue Ridge web site will make you aware of road closures and special alerts etc..

The major storm that is coming up from Texas right now will really be one to watch for the Blue Ridge if you are planning something soon heading down it.. I'm betting alot of road closures will come from this storm...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Skyline Drive description and map

Blue Ridge Parkway Tunnels

Blue Ridge Parkway Planning and Maps
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I found my GPS to be way off regarding the bridge clearances. My Rand McNally was showing the center heights . Although that is correct, the problem was the tunnels are very narrow and the side heights were about 10' .... We decided on another route, then drove thru three tunnels without the trailer. And know we would have been in trouble had we tried to pass while towing.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch