cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide design by Grand Design

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We recently purchased a 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS.
There are 4 slides and there are 4 named slots for slide switches. But there are only 2 slide switches. Grand Design controls 3 slides with one switch and the bedroom slide with the remaining switch. To make matters worse, the sequence for the slides to open/close is terrible. The curb side slide (which blocks entry to the entire living/kitchen area) is the last to go out.

Edit: Apparently this is a normal design for hydraulic slides. It would be nice if Grand Design would make some modification to make the curb side slide go out first, then in last.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
68 REPLIES 68

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Hopefully this can be corrected by swapping some wires. I understand that the slides must operate together due to the hydraulics, but the curbside slide that is blocks access should move first not last!
That current arrangement would be a deal breaker for me.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
bcbouy wrote:
i have to ask.you didn't notice this when you did the walkthrough? i spent well over an hour doing my walkthrough and went over everything as well as firing up the heaters and running the fridge on all settings, running the slides and awnings,leak tests on the water and propane systems, the whole nine yards.

We had been in the unit twice - the second time a little more thoroughly. We agreed to purchase. Two weeks later after the dealer said everything was ready, we signed all the papers, then got the walk thru. That is when I first noticed just 2 slide switches. Since it was a new 5th, I assumed the dealer went thru all systems before delivery.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i have to ask.you didn't notice this when you did the walkthrough? i spent well over an hour doing my walkthrough and went over everything as well as firing up the heaters and running the fridge on all settings,running the slides and awnings,leak tests on the water and propane systems,the whole nine yards.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
This design(usually Hydraulic slides, never seen any other) has been around for years. All 3 slides are incorporated into the same hydraulic lines and the system extends and puts more pressure to the next slide after the 1st slide has almost reached full extension. I guess I don't really see the problem. It should take less than 2 minutes to get all slides out. The BIG problem is when you just want that one slide for the kitchen to be the only one going out, without the others. Is this system Hydraulic? Doug

I believe it is, Doug. You are correct about the time frame when you are opening all slides.
We moved a couple days ago and after pulling out onto a street, I discovered that I left my phone on a charger at the rear of the 5th. We pulled over and I had to move the 2 street slides out before the slide blocking the entire rear area could be moved out. That slide should be the first out since it is curb side AND blocks access to the entire rear of the 5th.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
What creates the sequence? Can the sequence be changed?

I wish I knew. We've been busy getting moved in (full timing) and getting aux fuel tank, tool box, w/d, solar, Winegard Trav'ler installed. A call to Grand Design early next week is on the "to do" list. The new Norcold fridge is acting up, so it could take priority.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
This design(usually Hydraulic slides, never seen any other) has been around for years. All 3 slides are incorporated into the same hydraulic lines and the system extends and puts more pressure to the next slide after the 1st slide has almost reached full extension. I guess I don't really see the problem. It should take less than 2 minutes to get all slides out. The BIG problem is when you just want that one slide for the kitchen to be the only one going out, without the others. Is this system Hydraulic? Doug

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
I'll bite - why did you buy it?

Probably wouldn't have bought it if we had noticed the slide setup before doing the walk thru. We will be calling Grand Design to see if the slides can be individually controlled.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What creates the sequence? Can the sequence be changed?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll bite - why did you buy it?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob