cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slides out / level

Aunt_Colleen
Explorer
Explorer
If we stop for a night at say Walmart and the parking lot appears to be level can we put out slides without unhooking and "leveling" ? We're new obviously, lol. Thanks Voltage 4150 and 450 dully
26 REPLIES 26

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the escapees Code of Conduct.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Unhooking and using slides at a Walmart is generally poor form.

OP never said they were going to unhook.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Yes, as long as you're fairly level- putting slides out is fine....
These match the "Code of Conduct" published by Escapees (which is agreed upon by quite a few RVing organizations)...
Where in the code of conduct did it say putting slides out was fine?

I keep mine in so as not to appear like I'm camping. I think it's wrong to put your slides out. It's likely to draw negative criticism and could lead to "overnighting" being banned. Your opinion may vary.

Is the Escapees code of conduct somehow a binding code of conduct or official policy where Walmart or anyone else is concerned? Are the Escapees a major stockholder or on the board of directors? Do they have a vote? I don't see where its applicable one way or the other what a few RV organizations say?

No dog in the hunt, I prefer woods to asphalt lots and do not even like asphalt or concrete pads in a campground, I would rather have dirt and leaves or grass under some 120' Oak trees given a choice. Anyway I think you'll find that over the next 5 years the overnight parking at Walmart will become more and more limited if not outright prohibited with the "Town Center" plan Walmart is implementing takes off, as they simply will not have the room for RV's and trucks. Most likely they'll put an end to it, and make it a corporate wide policy instead of dealing with the BS individually when they have leased spaces out in the middle of the campground leased to others. Time will tell.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
Yes, as long as you're fairly level- putting slides out is fine....
These match the "Code of Conduct" published by Escapees (which is agreed upon by quite a few RVing organizations)...
Where in the code of conduct did it say putting slides out was fine?

I keep mine in so as not to appear like I'm camping. I think it's wrong to put your slides out. It's likely to draw negative criticism and could lead to "overnighting" being banned. Your opinion may vary.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question was

"lot appears to be level can we put out slides without unhooking and "leveling" ?"

Answer

YES.......nuff said
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just to clear the air a bit since the thread has been hijacked a bit -
Both of them have been posting quite regularly in the past year and a half.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sorry, I can't keep my fingers silent any more! This responses on this post are the reason why I quit posting completely on these forums. No one here has truly answered the OP's question. Everyone is side tracked, bashing the OP with WalMart parking etiquite.

Did anyone even bother to read her question? It started out:

"If we stop for a night at say Walmart"...

In other words, If we stop for at night at say (for example) Walmart.... what about my slides if I'm parked on an unlevel suface. Her question has nothing to do with WalMart. But no, everyone jumps on WalMart overnight parking.

Sheesh!

I sent the OP a PM and explained the possible repercussions if extending the slide outs on an unlevel plain.

OK, so bash ME again, and again and again. I'll post again in a few months!

I am so glad you are back! I sent you a pm when you left. Thank you for giving a true answer to the post! I firmly believe that between Dutchmensport and Old Biscuit anything can be resolved or fixed.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sorry, I can't keep my fingers silent any more! This responses on this post are the reason why I quit posting completely on these forums. No one here has truly answered the OP's question. Everyone is side tracked, bashing the OP with WalMart parking etiquite.

In other words, If we stop for at night at say (for example) Walmart.... what about my slides if I'm parked on an unlevel suface. Her question has nothing to do with WalMart. But no, everyone jumps on WalMart overnight parking.

Sheesh!

I sent the OP a PM and explained the possible repercussions if extending the slide outs on an unlevel plain.

Sorry, but what you took from the OP and what I took from it are two different things.

You saw the question "Can I put my slides out if the trailer isn't level?". Wondering about if it's okay to put out the slides without leveling.

I saw the question "Can I put my slides out in a Walmart parking lot if it's level?" Wondering if it's okay to put out slides in a public parking lot like WallyWorld.

It's a bit of an ambiguous question that can be interpreted different ways, obviously.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
ependydad wrote:

I think I actually did answer that question- second response on the thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your's was the closest answer, but adding the code is what led this thread down the rabbit hole and everyone followed.

Heh, I took the first response to be falling down that rabbit hole. But I do see how mine pushed it along handily.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

I think I actually did answer that question- second response on the thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your's was the closest answer, but adding the code is what led this thread down the rabbit hole and everyone followed.

Here's a shortened version of my PM to the OP and a response for forum member MFL:

Every camper, make model, brand, style, and class is capable of deploying slides on uneven surfaces without any damage or mechanical failures. BUT every camper has it's limitations where too much of a lean, forward to back, or side to side is too much. If in a lean too much the slides can jam and attempt to extend or retract crooked. When that happens, your slide is in trouble! NOW!!! the clincher is, every camper ... EVERY camper has it's own limitations and no two campers are the same. One may be able to withstand a 4 percent incline another only .5 perfent incline.

EVEN IF parked in a WalMart on an incline, no one is going to complain if you put board or lego blocks under one side of the tires to level it out. I do this often myself, even when pulling into a Burger King restaurant paring lot and we eat in the camper because the dogs cannot go inside. In all the years we've owned RV of one sort or another, no one has ever said a word about us parking and rolling one side of the trailer tires on some lumber.

For the OP, it's always best to attempt to level as much as possible first. But only YOU know your own camper and it's limitations.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
If I was a "jack-wad", I apologize. I wasn't trying to be one, but I guess I didn't answer the original question.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sorry, I can't keep my fingers silent any more! This responses on this post are the reason why I quit posting completely on these forums. No one here has truly answered the OP's question.

Now, it does seem that our answers may differ from one another (with your mention of "possible repercussions"). But that's the beauty of forums- we can respect each other's opinions.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Dutch, GREAT reply!! Stick to the OPs actual questions and quit being so PC other folks!!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:

Sheesh!

Good to see you Dutch.
I've quit posting for the same reasons. I occasionally lurk but there's just too many jack-wads allowed to dominate the forum unchecked.

Scott