cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sliding storage tray failure

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to let some of you that use the Lippert sliding storage trays that I had mine fail and slid right out of the storage area and into the street while making a right hand turn. Created an awful mess right in the middle of the intersection. The latches on the baggage door were no match for the tray when the latch failed.

The failure was caused by the slow bending of the tray rails over time. once the angle of the rails bend so far, the Teflon block that locks the rail in place will chip and allow the rail to glide over the top of the block and right out the storage door.

I bought my RV slightly used and my rails have always been angled and thought they were designed that way. I guess all the jarring going down the road bent the rails even more until the locking blocks could no longer hold the tray in place.

2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4
4 REPLIES 4

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The nylon will wear over time. I reversed mine on out last MS. I did also used vice grips on each end of the slide when on the move.

The newer MS's use the MORryde tray. It's a much better design!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Bad design. We drilled a locking pin into ours.

You're right. Bad design. I bent my rails back flat so they lock well now, but I suspect the problem will return. I'll be putting pins in mine as well for additional insurance.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Bad design. We drilled a locking pin into ours.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks browser! Those bent rails look a lot like mine, I'll need to do a closer inspection to make sure I don't leave the same mess on the street 🙂
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK