Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small 5th wheel bunkhouse suggestions

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime frequenter of this site and 10+ travel trailer owner, and I've reached the point in my life where I'm considering changing things up a bit.

At first I was thinking about a small Class C motorhome, but as a single Dad, I need the flexibility of having my tow vehicle serve as an around town vehicle once we set up camp, so that brings me to the 5th wheel.

I've got a 2017 F350 long bed 6.2L gas engine, and I'd like to keep the weight of the 5th wheel below 10,000lbs. Length and "upscale" amenities aren't too important to me, but I would prefer a floorplan with a queen bed in the front, and 2 full size twin bunks in the back, as I have 13 year old twin boys.

One floorplan I really like is the Rockwood 2781WS, but I'm open to comparable makes.

Any suggestions on floorplans and general thoughts on smaller 5th wheels would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
5 REPLIES 5

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
KZ has 2 BHs in their Durango Half-Ton line, both with a 10.5k GVW. One had queen bunks, the other has a bunk over a "jiffy sofa".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

eurojet
Explorer
Explorer
Primetime Crusader Lite 30bh even the 29bh would work
i bought this for the weight and the layout
kids have there own bunkroom and bathroom (toilet and sink)
and upfront is a queen and a full bathroom
its under 10000# mine was 9500# loaded

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
All I'd say is either get double over double bunks or think about a rear living setup and put the teenagers on couches or the floor. The little bunks are fine for kids but they get kind of small when you get into teen years. I'm already seeing some issues in the next few years with my kids.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg,

The floorplan that pops up w/ your link isn't the same one when you scroll thru the pics.

AC
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
keystone hideout 308bhds

At 35' it is on the smaller end of today's monster 5th wheels. It weighs in around 9000# dry which is also pretty light, comparatively. Mine runs 10.5-11K# loaded up depending on how much water is in the tanks.

I love the outdoor kitchen, the rear bunk room and the half bath up front. I was skeptical of buying an entry level Keystone but it's turned out pretty well. I'm 3+ years in and have really had nothing major go wrong.

I tow with a Ram 6.4 Hemi and it does okay. The gearing in my Ram pretty much sucks and I have to think your Ford is setup better.