cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilizing rocker recliners

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Thomas Paine rocker recliners on circular metal bases in our Jayco. They swivel and slide. My husband doesn't like his chair moving. I've contacted the manufacturer to see if there is any way they can be stabilized, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?
19 REPLIES 19

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine have a lever on the side that stops the rocking. I do't think it stops the swivel. I don't remember who makes them. You cam find just about anything you want at a good furniture store.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Duct tape if something moves that shouldn't.

WD-40 if something should move but doesn't.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
New chairs!

Bingo!

Many 5th wheel Interior Designers are clueless - and/or the bean counters rule!

Do a search......you will find lots of 5th wheel owners replace some or all of the "factory supplied" furniture with something else.

That includes the recliners, and various hide-a-bed type sofas.

The rocker-swivel recliners in my Jayco were one of the first things to go!

Visit a recliner showroom at a big-box store for ideas.
In the US - many find what they like at La-Z-Boy.

Note: Only replace with the type of recliner that assemble in two parts - the base (seat) and back..:W

~

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. The RV is in storage for a few weeks so I can't get pictures. But we are considering dpglifestyle's solution, or tying the various moving parts together with those white tie downs. At least we can remove them if the fix doesn't work.

dpglifestyle
Explorer
Explorer
Did that to ours. Just added 4 feet that where 3/4" longer than the height of bottom of the chair to the floor. Cut 2x2's and screwed them to the inside of chair frame. They can't be seen and are removable if we ever want to go back.
2015 Lifestyle LS36FW
2016 GMC 3500 CC Dually

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
I would be cautious about drilling holes in the metal frame. I had a set of household swivel rockers that I returned after they bent within a week. Yes my kids were spinning on them, but I would be worried about compromising the strength of the frame and making a weak spot. I would think clamps may work to lock the mechanism in place, but I agree pics would help figure that out.

D.E.Bishop wrote:
To the OP, there is probably a simple way of doing that but...

Two or three clear, well focused photographs of the swivel/rocking mechanism wold help. I would need to see the chair and mechanism (pictures) but I do not think there is a really simple way of locking and unlocking the movement of the mechanism. If your husband wants to permanently stop the rocking motion, it is probably as simple as drilling a hole in the mechanism and putting a hardened bolt in the hole.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, there is probably a simple way of doing that but...

Two or three clear, well focused photographs of the swivel/rocking mechanism wold help. I would need to see the chair and mechanism (pictures) but I do not think there is a really simple way of locking and unlocking the movement of the mechanism. If your husband wants to permanently stop the rocking motion, it is probably as simple as drilling a hole in the mechanism and putting a hardened bolt in the hole.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might be able to stop the rocking and turning, but it might be easier to just replace the chair with one he does like. That's what I would do.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarifyโ€”when my husband is sitting in the chair, he doesnโ€™t like the movement. We have no problem when the 5th wheel is travellingโ€”I have straps and floor hooks to keep the chairs from bouncing around.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Folks, the OP wants to stop the chair from rocking when it's being used (DH doesn't like movement). Not from sliding around the RV.
Actually the OP was totally unclear what she wanted, and is still unclear whether she is trying to stop the rocking or the turning, or both. She's not come back to clear things up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Drill with a good metal bit, and some bolts to go through the holes.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
New chairs!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Folks, the OP wants to stop the chair from rocking when it's being used (DH doesn't like movement). Not from sliding around the RV.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a bunch of floor anchors all over my camper. In the slides, on the window valances, even on the side of the couch so I could anchor a strap across the drawer that slides open under it.

What did I use? I used picture frame hangers and a 3/4 inch long wood screw. Those picture frame hangers are extremely strong, are small enough you never see them, especially if on a carpet or in a corner. A bungee cord hooked through one on each side of whatever you want to hold down and bingo! There ya go!

You find them where the framed picture hangers are at, not in the hardware area. Even at Lowes, look for the picture hanging stuff.