cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgate question

Wanderer26
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 F-150 and would like to change out the tailgate for a tailgate for my fifth wheel. I hate the hassel of having to lower or raise my tailgate everytime i want to hitch or unhitch. My OEM tailgate has a backup camera under the Ford logo. Are there any fiver tailgates out there that can accomadate the camera. I have looked at amazon, etrailer and a few others but the description never says anything about the camera. I would like a lockable tailgate.
16 REPLIES 16

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
My pin clears the vee easily if I am on reasonbly level ground. But every rig will be different. Varies by how high your hitch head is, and how low your pinbox is. Two rigs with the same bed clearance, one could hit and the other clear. You still have to be careful. I bumped mine last season. Ground wasn't level.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
I actually need the V-gate, for reasons I won't repeat again.

My truck is an antique so no tailgate camera for me. But it would be extremely easy to add a camera to a quality V-gate. You could even use the Ford logo style if you wanted.

I also have a V tailgate. Looks to be the same manufacturer as this one but one, maybe two louvres shallower. I still need to be careful with it & have a couple dings in it when not enough care was given.

After awhile you learn how high you need to be if you have lowered the trailer front end after hitching. Every trailer is different. My leg switches are under the overhang driver side. I raise the trailer till my nose touches dead center of a front corner marker light above the switches. Perfect clearance on flatish ground to go over the V & touch the 5th wheel at center of plate.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Crutchfield has several cameras that might be able to be added to the fifth wheel tailgate maybe below the handle to open it and between the louvers. Here is one.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070ARC600/Axxera-ARC600.html
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Puddles wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Lockable tailgates are certainly available. You might have to go to a license plate style backup camera versus the stock Ford camera system.

X2... have not had anything blow out of the bed since I switched to a v slotted T gate.

That's funny you should say that. I have a v-tailgate, and last night I loaded up a plastic cart I had built to haul supplies from the house out to our trailer. Went to unload it this morning before work, and it was gone. Blew out somewhere along the highway. And we have lost stuff with this type of tailgate, but never have to lower it to hook up. Don't get that part.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a 5th wheel, but I do have a 2010 F150 that I'd remove the tailgate to take our golf cart when towing our previous travel trailer.

Each time I'd have to climb under the vehicle to disconnect the tailgate camera. I finally decided I didn't like being without the camera when unhitched, and the tailgate is at home.

I found the wiring diagram online for mine. Your newer truck might be the same, if not, someone has a diagram online:

I connected a cheap license plate camera to the modified stock camera connector to add a 12V plug and an RCA plug to connect. This made hitching MUCH easier, and still gave me a backup view when not towing.

I then went a step further, put a camera on the back of the travel trailer, and would connect that cable to the modified F150 camera connector. The image below is the monitor built into the rear view mirror, looking behind the travel trailer.

I mounted the trailer camera in the rear tire cover:

Rather than mount the camera to the license plate, putting it near your 3rd brake light would probably help hitching your 5ver.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Wanderer26
Explorer
Explorer
Thankyou all for the tips. I will be keeping my OEM tailgate as i use the backup camera all the time when unhooked.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
It cost me about 175 bucks to repeat the OEM back up camera in my V-Box. Little black dot below the V-Box belt line in the center. You can see the cable coming up to the V-Box. RAM tailgate lock/camera cable unplugs below tail gate and came with blank connectors to protect the pins when it is removed. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I actually need the V-gate, for reasons I won't repeat again.

My truck is an antique so no tailgate camera for me. But it would be extremely easy to add a camera to a quality V-gate. You could even use the Ford logo style if you wanted.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, it was more than just the hassle of lowering the gate to hook up or disconnect. With the gate down, I'm mere inches away from the face of the trailer and could easily hit the trailer with the tailgate if I wasn't straight on. I just got my V gate this Winter. My first load and unload to bring the trailer home from storage was great.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Lockable tailgates are certainly available. You might have to go to a license plate style backup camera versus the stock Ford camera system.

X2... have not had anything blow out of the bed since I switched to a v slotted T gate.
HTML

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both V gate and stock and yeah the V gate is a "Little" more convenient But If I had the backup Camera in my stock tailgate I would not change it IMO lowering my tailgate is no big deal
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well sometimes opinions change!
I loved the V tailgate we had on the 2001 Ram 2500, Custom Flow bought used for $100. It matched the Ram body lines, yes had to watch pin height before pulling away.
Well now have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW with BU camera and locking TG! I don't find it to be too much hassle to drop and raise TG during loading process.

Now if Custom Flow would build a V tailgate with BU cam,era and compatible power lock I might be interested.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just don't assume a V-gate will let you hook up without dropping the tailgate.

We got one because we bought a used truck with a damaged tailgate...first time we unhooked, the pin caught it and popped the tailgate off...luckily it was plastic and just flexed. This is after a long time with the standard tailgate and never having an issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too like the idea of being able to lock up my truck to protect all of my other things I bring along on my trips...

Of course you might be able to install something like this to have some safe storage areas and not use your tail gate...

Google image

I still like to have my truck tail gate lockable and closed up when not hooked up to the 5th wheel...

In my case I also use my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer a lot more than the 5th wheel. I have a rear camera in the Ford Emblem mounted on the tail gate. I certainly could not operate without the use of my rear camera - Makes hooking up to the OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer a breeze...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS