cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TH with garage slides

NS_Hoghead
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and i are looking for a toy hauler with slides on both sides of garage. I know we can call Spacecraft and they will build whatever we want but i don't know if i an afford a custom built trailer. Retirement is still about 5 years away. Just looking to see if anything available without exhausting savings and retirement funds. Oh we are looking for a hauler at least 40 ft. long. Smart car on the bed of a HDT is not an option, would rather haul car in garage.
16 REPLIES 16

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
But that Tesla slideout/garage is barely big enough for a motorcycle, the OP is looking for something big enough for a car.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Tesla makes a toyhauler that has 2 slides on the rear...one slide is a garage and the other slide is just a slide out that opens up a living area.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Bedlam
Floors that flip up into the slide prior to closing are very easy to do. The slide mechanism can be push/pull cables or a Schwintek mechanism on the slide walls. As long as the slide is bigger than the car, it can be"encapsulated" by the closed slides.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
It could be done by having the slideout floors go UNDER the garage floor... Yes this would present many problems requiring a totally different floor design, that would be somewhat limiting in vertical space (not usually a problem fot THers) and requiring slots in the floor for the walls to retract into. It would be expensive to do. VERY.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
But when the slides are in there isn't any room. I've never seen a toyhauler that will do what you're talking about. When the slides would be out you could then drive in, but where would the slides go when you've driven in and occupied the space the slides would normally go?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NS_Hoghead
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help folks. I still researching the web and all the toyhauler builders. We really didn't think it would be that big of a deal. just slide out both sides and drive in or out. but we'll see.

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
DanB-ON wrote:
The XLR with the rear bedroom / front living set up has one slide in the garage if I remember correctly.

It would help to know what the OP wants the slides to accomplish. More living space? A workshop? Mancave?

The one XLR floorplan with a rear slide has the "garage" doubling as the "bedroom" and the slide contains a murphy bed. For me that just wouldn't work.

A Smart Car is a little over 5' wide, not counting mirrors. So there seems to be barely enough room for one, let alone two, slides--without some kind of creative design.

MIke

DanB-ON
Explorer
Explorer
The XLR with the rear bedroom / front living set up has one slide in the garage if I remember correctly.
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 Vengeance Touring Edition 39R12

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I have a slidout in my combined living/garage area and it is a compromise in terms of living/storage space. The compromise in terms of storage is much less than what you gain in living space IMO.

I believe however the OP is asking in regards to separate garage models which I have never really seen one with a slide.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
It could be done...just not giving the idea away for free.
They will get it eventually.

Bedlam
Weekend Warrior had slides in their open floor plan toy haulers which still allowed open wheeled vehicles to fit (think roadster or sand rail). If the slide was longer than the Smart, it could work with a flip down floor.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't exist because frankly it doesn't make sense for reasons already sighted. Slideouts make sense for living areas but not storage/garage space.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Design a slide with hinged side walls.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
With the slides retracted you'd only have 3' maybe 4' inside the garage. Smart car, as small as it is, will not fit. Maybe you could stand the car on end. You might be able to fit a motorcycle in there. Cannot see how this would be doable.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian