cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They don't make em like they used to.

frizfreleng
Explorer
Explorer
Returning to RVing after maybe 13 years. On this and other forums read much about Rvs being made with less quality (cheaply) than in the past. So here is my limited anecdotal evidence in support of that contention. I have a 2004 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. So after 15 years of service the the dead bolt on the door lock quit. Purchased a new one. Indistinguishable from the original. Heavy, all metal construction. When bolting the inner and outer halves together the 4 screws were about 1/4" short of mating the two halves. I had the 4 bolts from the original lock so I used them. Called the vendor to let him know. He replied, "no those are the standard length bolts that fit the thickness of today's doors". So, I concluded that today's doors are thinner hence less cost to manufacture. Unfortunately, unit sale price has not followed door cost. So, what say you Dr. Watson?
16 REPLIES 16

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Pacnrat above. My 2004 Sunnybrook has been heavily used since we purchased it new. It has never been back to the dealer or factory for anything. We have replaced several appliances and made many improvements and extensive roof maintenance but it is still going strong as our "summer place" since we no longer travel with it. I expect it will probably outlive us. :E
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
I am keeping my 2001 sunny brook (25 ft 5er) for another decade.
bought new, never been back to the dealer for any repair.
couple miner in the past couple years. (failed plastic stuff).

i have installed a "super auto vent fan".
this year all new outside led lights, plus a couple extra. the normal ones are all still working great... from the factory. (18 years and no failed bulbs).
inside one ceiling light burned out, one the holder fused and burnt a bit, and one over the vanity, the glue failed (holding the bulb to the fitting) but it still was working when i took it out. one of the "locking handles" on the reefer broke. heck i can count all the problems on just my factory installed digits.
so yes some of the older units are made far better than some - most of the new ones.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
94-D2 wrote:
I would look at the grand design lineup. They seem to be at or near the top for materials and quality and still in the realm of affordability.

I would disagree. We bought a new 2019 Grand Design Solitude this past November. It was our first trailer after owning three motorhomes. After using it for 6 months, I would say it is no better than most of the similar mass produced trailers from other manufacturers. It's OK for our intended use (parked in one spot permanently. It is clear to me that whomever designed it never spent much time living in any RV.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
94-D2 wrote:
I would look at the grand design lineup. They seem to be at or near the top for materials and quality and still in the realm of affordability.

That statement might of been true 3-4 years ago. Not today. They are no better then FR or Thor offerings.

GJGAR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will check them out.

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

GJGAR
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a 5th wheel for 10 yrs. Put about 60,000 miles on it and am thinking of upgrading to a newer model. I am not impressed with the build quality of any of these trailers. Are there some manufactures and/or models which are known for higher quality than others? I fully realize that higher quality will likely cost more but it is worth it to me to pay more, and have a better experience. I don't want to deal with problems/delays when on vacation. I do enough of that at work.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Campers have been mostly junk for a long time.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Tossing a cat into the dog pound I would mostly agree that the campers are not built as well as the old days. While the doors and walls may be thicker in past years, I would suggest that perhaps the materials became much more efficient and in any cases stronger. Metal vs wood construction, fiber glass and composite vs Masonite or corrugated aluminum skin, foam insulation vs cellulose or fiber batting. Now, quality of the installation and mfg methods, certainly craftsmanship of the past outlasts what is done today with the “run of the mill” rig.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is 11 years old. I plan to use it for another ten years and pull it with my currently 15 year old truck. Both units are nicely maintained and are young at heart. If quality continues to degrade, maybe my old gear will start to increase in value.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
My 04 Komfort was nearly flawless. The only issue I had was a recurring minor leak on the inlet line fore the toilet. The inlet tube was just a hair short and it would loosen up and drip. I semi-seriously considered building a new rig built on the heavy Zieman frame... 😉

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
They don't make em like they used to.

Having owned three truck campers and three 5th wheel trailers from the '60s up to the '97 era I'm sure glad.
Same with our LDTs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It's not only the prices of the RV it's the taxes. Growing up in KS had a 3 percent sales tax, now it's 9 percent. Personal property tax, paid each year along with tag fees have risen as well. In KS maximum devaluation occurs after 10 years, does not get any cheaper after that. By keeping my vehicles and RV'S maintained I save a lot of money on taxes and insurance.

More money for fuel and travel.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing is made today like they used to.