cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on Cougar 364bhl vs Reflection 311BHS

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering making the move to a fifth wheel and were really considering the Grand Design Reflection 311BHS floorplan

but then walked through the Cougar 364BHL floorplan.
They are both priced very similar and ave the same features. We really like the bigger beds for the kids as they grow in the Cougar but for some reason, I have it in my head that Cougar is not as nice a brand as Grand Design? The only other downfall (maybe) is the height of the Cougar. Its listed a full foot taller than the Reflection at 13'5? What are your thoughts?
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs
5 REPLIES 5

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
While both floorplans as you stated are very much alike, it looks like the beds in the BH are larger in the Cougar. To me, the other big diff is that the kit/LR are opposite and FWIW, I think I'd rather have the LR on curb side. ANOTHER thing I noticed is that w/ the GD, the awnings are pretty close to each other and when extended can make for a very large "connected" shaded area. Add drop down awning screens and now a nice little private place OR prop up the screens and extend area out further if possible. We can do this w/ our BC and it's nice. Just a thought.

But opinions is what you asked for so I'd opt for the GD. In saying that tho, I like the looks of the new Cougars too. Best thing is to take the whole family to each one and see how you all fit inside (boys on bunk beds), move around, DW w/ kitchen layout etc. GD seems to have very good reviews BUT keep in mind, they use the same vendors like everyone else and have same problems as well. But, all in all, GD gets my vote.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience here with the Cougar line. We were camped next to one this summer and it looked real nice. From what I could see through the windows (not being a creeper, just standing at my campsite looking that direction), the inside appeared to be well done. The outside was a high-gloss exterior that was very attractive. I do have to question how well the exterior gloss finish will hold up and/or how much maintenance is required to keep that look.

But between the 2 models shown, I would pick the Grand Design for a few reasons. One reason is that I personally like the GD layout better than the Cougar. But the other main reason is the length and height. Our current GD rig runs about 34โ€™ in length, which is about as much as we wanted. For us, we camp at a few select locations where the longer rigs simply would not work. Naturally, the roads to such places also have height restrictions. This is not a problem that everyone has, but it does apply to us. So the Cougar model listed would be completely out the question for us.

Weโ€™ve been full timing in our GD for about the last 2 months, but have traveled extensively with it before this. Other than a few minor problems, the rig has been trouble free. Even for full time use, itโ€™s holding up well. I highly recommend the 2nd AC unit if it doesnโ€™t already come with it.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I like some of those Durango plans and the look. Just seems like due to the half ton series being lighter the carrying capacity is only 1400 to 1700 lbs. That's one of the complaints with my tt now is the low capacity. Ideally I'm looking for something with the plan I like and a load carrying capacity of 2200lbs or more.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
6.7 tow rig wrote:
We are considering making the move to a fifth wheel and were really considering the Grand Design Reflection 311BHS floorplan

but then walked through the Cougar 364BHL floorplan.
They are both priced very similar and ave the same features. We really like the bigger beds for the kids as they grow in the Cougar but for some reason, I have it in my head that Cougar is not as nice a brand as Grand Design? The only other downfall (maybe) is the height of the Cougar. Its listed a full foot taller than the Reflection at 13'5? What are your thoughts?

Check out some of the KZ Durango models, especially the Durango "Half Ton". Very similar.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a reflection 323bhs, very similar without the second bath. Love it. Customer service has been very good to us. I haven't had to fix a lot of stuff. We did have a leak in the floor of a slide last fall but GD paid some of the labor even though it was 3 years old and they sent me new decals for my nose cone.