cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for storing 5th wheel in Phoenix area in summer

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
We started snowbirding a few years ago and are now considering leaving our Cedar Creel 5th wheel in storage near Phoenix for the summer (May - October ).

We have been storing the 5th wheel in Oregon but for a number of reasons leaving it in AZ would be a lot easier.

What steps or precautions should we take for storing in the hot desert sun for 6 months?

Appreciate any advice... thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
i might add: we use bubble wrap foil in the windows and ceiling vents as well to add to the insulation, camping or storing in extreme hot or cold temps. this also keeps the sun off the shades. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sidney wrote:
We started snowbirding a few years ago and are now considering leaving our Cedar Creel 5th wheel in storage near Phoenix for the summer (May - October ).

We have been storing the 5th wheel in Oregon but for a number of reasons leaving it in AZ would be a lot easier.

What steps or precautions should we take for storing in the hot desert sun for 6 months?

Appreciate any advice... thanks.

Speaking as a 3rd generation Arizonan, SHADE is your friend. Over the top as well as tires. If you're in a storage lot, you can use a cover as the rigs on either side will help prevent billowing, but the sun will likely eat up the cover in about 2 years, max. As far as sealing everything, dust will work it's way into =everything= but an Intel clean room around here. Do your best, but don't go overboard. Again, shade is more important as the sun will fade the interior, even through shades. I never used the water bucket trick and the only issue I had was some wall paper trim curling. Re-glued it and had no further problems. Personally, I didn't worry about the drains and never had an issue with smells.

As for batteries, I'd pull =all= the cables off; it's a whole lot easier to just have to clean the posts off than both the posts =and= the cable ends. Agree that you need to fill, even over-fill slightly, before storage.

Just my experience of 13 years' worth of storage in full sun.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We are lucky enough to have ours at home and keep a/c set on the highest and use it almost every month. The Peoria area has a couple covered or even enclosed / indoor storage areas. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Agree covered storage is the best choice.

Another thing to consider is that it WILL get very hot inside the rig. Anything made of soft plastic or otherwise potentially meltable will melt. I've had a condo or doublewide there for 15 years, and I now run my airconditioner at 90 degrees through the summer. It's worth the expense. The first year there I didn't, and returned to melted coat hangers, stuff stuck to shelves, etc.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of ours went though 5 five gallon buckets and several one gallon buckets this summer.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies... lots of good info.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have 10 Park Models, one 40 ft 5th w, 3 TT several houses that most sit in the sun here in Yuma during the summer heat. Several are under metal awnings.I put about 7 or 8 one gallon milk containers thru out each one of the above. I seal up the windows, cover the drains in all sinks, bath tubs etc. Cover top of toilets also top of toilet seats etc etc. I have been doing this way for all my rentals for 13 years. Very few problews other than dust and dirt get inside some. I also drain all the water heaters
samsontdog:o:W

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need covered storage and have all of the windows / vents closed tight as they have blowing dust at times. Also make sure your house batteries are filled to the full marks and then check them when you get back. Mine always seem to have more evaporation there and the terminals corrode more there in the heat than anyplace else.

Covered storage is hard to find at time, you may have to take it and pay for it before you need it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Find covered storage if you can. Or consider tire covers and a cover for the trailer. Iโ€™ve never done the buckets of water thing but we usually use ours every 1-2 months even in the summer.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

oldbird1965
Explorer
Explorer
If someone is around have them run the water into the traps every month. Like Buck said, lots of 5 gallon buckets of water inside and kept full.
2008 Mobil Suites 36TK3, powerstroke one ton dually.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
Wandering through dealerships midsummer in Phoenix years ago, often found buckets of water sitting inside units. "Dry heat."
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR