Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire challenge - 15"

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,

I've hit a road-block in terms of replacing my existing tires. I had a blow-out over the weekend and in search of what to buy I'm clearly on the fence. I have read all of the debates between ST and LT and am unsure. What throws a wrench into my decision is the fact that my tires are 15".

Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed without replacing rims as well? The unit has Carlisle on them now and seeing the tread separate from the tire makes me believe they are re-treads. Not ideal.
03' Lariat F350, 6.0L Short Box *SOLD*
04' Jayco Eagle 28FKS *SOLD*

08' FX4 F350 6.4L Dually Long Box, Black on Black PICTURES
07' Keystone Raptor 3712TS PICTURES
Reese 18k Signature Series Hitch
42 REPLIES 42

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I would'nt have a Bridgestone on my place. Michelins are the best bet. Get some LT tires rated E and they will last longer than you. We hear most companies are trying to phase out 15s.Seems kinda dumb to me with 3 million trailers in the US alone.I just sold 5 tires, rims rings and hub covers. You can find them on Craigslist.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Eagle Alloy Wheels work great. You can get new center caps with them. That is what I run with my 16" setup on my Warrior.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
So I have the tire size down; 225/75R15 and am looking for just a touch of advice on the wheel.

I believe you mean LT225/75R-16 E.

I have it measured out so matching hub and lugs should not be an issue. I'm a little unsure about the Center cap of all things. I know with the existing wheels the cap is more of a tube presumably to account for the hub itself. Knowing most wheels come with a flat plate to cover the hub I'm not sure if I need a specific wheel.

Most wheels I've seen have a center cut out for clearing the hub. IMO your wheel caps will work fine however your wheel makers or distributor should have all that type of info.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
I am definitely going the Bridgestone route; I am convinced. I just need to ensure that I have all of my info correct because I have to order them and have them shipped from the U.S.

So I have the tire size down; 225/75R15 and am looking for just a touch of advice on the wheel. I have it measured out so matching hub and lugs should not be an issue. I'm a little unsure about the Center cap of all things. I know with the existing wheels the cap is more of a tube presumably to account for the hub itself. Knowing most wheels come with a flat plate to cover the hub I'm not sure if I need a specific wheel.

sndman7
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion you should stop kidding your self and go with a 16" wheel and BF Goodrich Commercial TA. I went with Michelin only because they where on sale and had a rebate. If I had it to do over again I would go with the Commercial TA for sure.
2006 Titanium 36E41 MPRV
2011 F350 DRW QC King Ranch

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
gouldc wrote:
Apologies for the delay guys; here I am asking for assistance and haven't been engaged in the conversation.

Jimnlin, wow you are right, I didn't provide much for details. The tires on the unit now are 225/75/15, gross weight of the trailer is 15,500. I don't know the actual weight rating of the axles but there are 3 and one can assume they are at least 5,000.

I was out measuring this weekend and here is my dilemma; I believe the existing tires are 28.2" in diameter; finding specs on a Carlisle isn't easy. The Duravis R250 225/75/16 with a weight rating of 2,680 are 29.4". This means an additional 2" required between tires. There is currently 4". How much space is required for expansion and articulation of the suspension; would 2" be enough?

If the old tires are 28.2" and the new ones are 29.4", that would only mean the tires would be 1" closer together not 2", since you're looking at 1/2" difference in radius. That would give 3" between tires.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent, thank you.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Dexter axle says 1" minimum between the tires on a std leaf spring suspension.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies for the delay guys; here I am asking for assistance and haven't been engaged in the conversation.

Jimnlin, wow you are right, I didn't provide much for details. The tires on the unit now are 225/75/15, gross weight of the trailer is 15,500. I don't know the actual weight rating of the axles but there are 3 and one can assume they are at least 5,000.

I was out measuring this weekend and here is my dilemma; I believe the existing tires are 28.2" in diameter; finding specs on a Carlisle isn't easy. The Duravis R250 225/75/16 with a weight rating of 2,680 are 29.4". This means an additional 2" required between tires. There is currently 4". How much space is required for expansion and articulation of the suspension; would 2" be enough?

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
Was looking at fivers today, the Stealth we looked at had 15" tires, I told them no way I am going with 15" tires. Their answer was these tires (blow masters) are way better than those crapisles. I told them I went to 16" commercial truck tires on my current rig, their answer was you should not run LT tires on a trailer, the sidewalls are too stiff and you can pop the bead off the rim when backing too sharply because of the tire scrub. It took everything I had to not call the salesman an idiot. I won't be going back there for sure. If tire scrub could pull the bead off the rim, why don't those over the road flatbed trailers with the wide spaced axels do that ??
2 weeks ago, I was told I could easily pull a 12K dry triple axel rig with my 2500HD, It totally sucks trying to shop for a rig when you have to deal with idiots.
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I didn't go with 16's since the trailer is listed to be 13'5" tall with the 15's.

Fodder to ponder but the ST225/75-15 D @ 2580 lb is about 28.2" in diameter vs a LT225/75-16 E @ 2680 and 29.2 tall.

The trailer sits 1/2" higher with the 16" LT tires.

Exactly.

People can justify it how they want, 15" "anything" doesn't belong on big heavy toy haulers. It is only a matter of time until the tires will let go.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't go with 16's since the trailer is listed to be 13'5" tall with the 15's.

Fodder to ponder but the ST225/75-15 D @ 2580 lb is about 28.2" in diameter vs a LT225/75-16 E @ 2680 and 29.2 tall.

The trailer sits 1/2" higher with the 16" LT tires.

dvg84x
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '07 3814 Raptor that came with the Carlisle Bias-ply grenades. After a middle tire exploded, Keystone funded the replacements. I picked Green-Ball "D" rated radials after weighing my rig and finding 12,800# on the trailer axles ("D's" were good for 15K +). A year later, at the beginning of the season, I found the tread area on 5 of the 6 tires separating, so with adjustment, I upgraded to Green-Ball "E's" and have been ok since.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Don't listen to a salesman.
Listen to the folks that haul big trailers like yours and have lots of road miles/experience.
Go 16" LT tires and run the Bridgstone if you can't get the Ribs.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail