cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire check

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 Bridgstons tires 4 years old with plenty of thread left. Now its looks like the outside edjes are worn more than they should. They call for 80 psi that is were i keep them. Should I go to 85psi to ware more of the center. They have about 40 thousand miles on them. Does anyone have an answer.
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
12 REPLIES 12

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Gray Fox wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, I am going to take the 5/W to a tire dealer near my home base to see what they have to say. I just checked tires again for cracks on the side wall and there is nothing.

Gray Fox, I appreciate your effort to be a responsible RVer by checking the condition of your tires. IMHO, the fact that you have concerns about the current conditions of your tires would be enough reason to buy new tires. Spending a few dollars for a peace of mind as you travel down the road is a good investment:)

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
if you are questionable about the quality of life left in your tires, you need to remember the quality of your life and others traveling along side of you. BUY NEW TIRES ! ! ! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

I agree. I have had several blowouts, and it is not fun.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, I am going to take the 5/W to a tire dealer near my home base to see what they have to say. I just checked tires again for cracks on the side wall and there is nothing.
Gray Fox

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Gray Fox wrote:
I have 4 Bridgstons tires 4 years old with plenty of thread left. Now its looks like the outside edjes are worn more than they should. They call for 80 psi that is were i keep them. Should I go to 85psi to ware more of the center. They have about 40 thousand miles on them. Does anyone have an answer.

If you're having wear on all 4 tires on the =outside= only, you could have excessive camber in the axles. Could be something to check, as that won't change with a new set of tires. Also, do you have to make regular, jackknife turns to get into your storage or a favorite camping spot? That could also exacerbate outside tire wear from scuffing.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what type tire they are.
I run LT tires on my trailers for 6-8 years or 50k-60k which ever comes first. Michelin for example says;
Q&A... What is the expected service life of tires?
While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.*

ST tires like Carlisle recommends 3-5 years and should be replaced after 5 years.

This doesn't mean how long you had them on a trailer but how old the DOT date number indicates which is stamped in your tires sidewall.

And never over inflate a tire above the sidewall max pressures. I've seen my 16" load E tires at 80 psi on my equipment trailers go to 94-96 psi in 100+ temps and a all day run. This is normal so don't let air out of a hot tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
The tires I am talking about are on my 5/W Tr. sorry about that.

I bought the tires 9/2012 this July will be 5yrs The mileage 30,547 I keep track of mileage every day were on the road. Should I buy new tires?
Gray Fox

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
if you are questionable about the quality of life left in your tires, you need to remember the quality of your life and others traveling along side of you. BUY NEW TIRES ! ! ! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about your 5er tires or your truck tires?

Some ST tire makers allow 10 psi over the sidewall recommendation for some of their tires. Carlisle I think is the one I most recently read on line. They claim the extra PSI allow the tires to go 10 mph over the 65 mph speed recommendation.

I keep all of my vehicle tires at 5-10 psi over the sidewall and/or door plate recommendation. I have had better tread wear doing that. I also rotate my tires at 10,000 mile oil changes and the trailers (3 of them) each year.

Changes in speed, air temp. and elevation will change the tire pressure more than the 5-10 psi so I would not worry about increasing the pressure 5 psi.

However, it is about time to change the tires if it is on your 5er. Add the 5 psi and see if the new tires wear any better.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not inflate above max sidewall pressure. At 40K miles, they have served you well. I do wonder if they are carrying a little more load than they are designed for, due to the wear you describe. Have you weighed your axles, to see if the tire max rating is a good fit? You may want to go up a load range with new tires, and then air to higher pressure.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, don't add the extra 5 psi over what is specified.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Inflate to manufacture's recommend pressure as shown on sidewall. No more or less. Four years and 40k? Buy new tires.

X1! After 4 yrs. on tires, you are just gambling and the odds are not in your favor that you won't experience tire problems/blow outs and possible expensive damage to your RV:( After 5 yrs. I buy 4 new tires regardless of what the tire conditions.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Inflate to manufacture's recommend pressure as shown on sidewall. No more or less. Four years and 40k? Buy new tires.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad