Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
What's the Good, Bad and Ugly on these?
They don't look terribly expensive but are they worth the money or just another hole to dump money in for a marginally useful add on?

Specifically for a 5th Wheel 3 axle Toyhauler..........

Appreciate any input,
thanks
Skip
14 REPLIES 14

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the TST brand for 5 years and would never be without it. We did not have a tpms system for the 1st 10+ years and apparently we were very lucky to have not encountered a serious problem.
We like the TST because of the dual feature of pressure and temperature showing at the same time. For us that pressure reading saved us big time. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
On the temp/pressure accuracy.. I don't think it matters 78 vs 74 degrees..

but 78 vs 150 (or 148) does.. same for the pressure.. 60 vs 58? 60 vs 40!...

so my usage is warn me for bad stuff, and they work perfectly for this.
internal/external.. doesn't matter.

tell me the EXACT temp or pressure.. not the right tool for that.
might be really close, and I use the system to get my pressures in the morning..
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Old Duck wrote:
Has there every been a side by side comparison done for the different makes/models out there (I have found one) as often as TPMS comes up it might be a good sticky with a comparison would be handy for many.

No because any comparison thread will be filled with 'facts' which are really opinions.

Various people swear by different brands. It's a Coke or Pepsi debate in my opinion.

There are two different types of TPMS - internal and external. As big a debate about which is better as the arguments over the Patriots 'deflategate'.

Basics are that TPMS use batteries, which have low power and give the TPMS a limited range. Also the batteries cannot operate the TPMS at full power all the time. This means readings are not instantly updated.

Also a TPMS has a operating range. The one I use is + or - three pounds of pressure, four degrees of temperature. That is about standard for several TPMS I've researched.

Also TPMS operate in a frequency range which is becoming more crowded with other things like remote thermometers, backup-cameras, etc. TPMS reception can often be improved by taking the batteries out of outdoor thermometer unit, etc.

Many rigs require use of a booster at additional cost.

A TPMS is like any other tool. You have to learn to use it efficiently, and learn its limitations.

A TPMS monitors TIRE pressure. If the tire throws a tread, but does not deflate - a TPMS will not alert.

All the TPMS systems report tire pressure and tire temperature. They have alerts for low pressure, high pressure, high temperatures.

They do NOT replace your need to manually check tire pressures with a known good gauge before starting your towing trip, feeling the tires for bulges and out of shape sections, looking for bad tread wear patterns.

They are a supplement to good tire management.

I personally will not travel without one.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll check the thread that's already going on, I missed seeing somehow.
It's looking like a TPMS is definitely in my immediate future.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Tireminder set-up on both truck and fiverclick and wouldn't be without it!! I found that they are terrific to deal with and they pay real attention to their customers which shows in the new system they have now, they added a lot of features we have suggested also they give you free replacement batteries, a real class act!

Red Green:
There's only two things that excite
a man, expensive toys and real
expensive toys.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
As full timers we travel across country off and on about 7 months or so. When in travel mode we probably see, on average, 3 or 4 FW's or TT's on the side of the road each week. In 90% of those cases you can tell when you pass by that they have a blown tire, and many times damage is also obvious.

Even though I have had zero tire issues, I want to be able to monitor my exact tire pressure and temperature while towing. To me it was well spent money for something that could keep me from being that guy stuck on the shoulder of a busy interstate highway.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Has there every been a side by side comparison done for the different makes/models out there (I have found one) as often as TPMS comes up it might be a good sticky with a comparison would be handy for many.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Most people wait until they have blowout damage in the thousands before considering a TPMS costing several hundred. I did!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on driving habit....first do you speed, that means going over 60 mph with ST s...do you fill your tires to max cold tp and keep them there...do you protect them from uv.... what is date on tire?... do you stop regular and check tire temps with hand and laser.....along with bearings...is any one tire more than 85% of max weight? I bought one when I bought trailer and is worth it to me for not have to get on knees and check all pressures daily....plus does let you know temps and what each tire is doing....good luck...I can now say this, trail express lasted 2 yrs and 7 mo in service....age 2 yr 9 mo...2 started cracking near bead on trailer right side....they were cared for and never abused.....however who knows what the delivery man did when he pulled them 600 miles for deliver.....we all know they went over 60 then LOL...and who knows what kind of curb action they had during that time....but they had 8000 miles on them when retired and the guy at tire shop was grinning...as they all had nibs on them and they looked new...so I am sure they are winding up on a trailer somewhere....the true life and care of a tire is never truly known...unless you build it at the factory and put it on your trailer good luck

SH
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
My .02 - if you're running Chinese tires then, by all means, get the TPMS. If you're running Michelin XPS Ribs, like I am, then TPMS is not necessary.

Michelins can't have a bad valve stem or pick up a screw? A TPMS will may not be helpful in a catastrophic failure but it will pick up a slow leak which can lead to such!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My .02 - if you're running Chinese tires then, by all means, get the TPMS. If you're running Michelin XPS Ribs, like I am, then TPMS is not necessary.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of discussions about them on here. With some detractors. But far and away those who have them are very glad they do. Gives peace of mind being able to monitor your tire pressures and temps while on those long drives, not just when stopped. Can't prevent flats and/or blowouts, but can let you know of a low tire before it goes bad due to running low, or to let you know of a blowout that you may not have heard before it ruins a wheel.

BARRY2010
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't travel without mine.

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Current discussion... Thread
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507