cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Validation thoughts.

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
After 3 blow outs and 2 flats in 3 years, I have come to the reality that my 5th wheel provider put the wrong tires on my RV. The trailer is 9600 Dry, so we call it 10,000 Pull weight. I have load range "E". Im going to Load range "G" if I need different rims and valve stems, so be it.

My thought is with the "E" tire, Im already at max load, then add in the bouncing of the roads between Houston and the Mississippi Gulf coast, is just too much of a dynamic Load range "E" tire.

Someone say, Good Job..& Why It took you so long to join the real world. LOL

Actually I really want a thread that shows Load range "E" is not the best choice for a 10,000# 5th wheel. Or am I off base that much

Thanks in Advance for the input.

56Jeff
40 REPLIES 40

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmm, neither of those tickets make much sense. I think I'd find another set of scales to weigh on. Over 30 percent hitch weight seems extreme to me. And the upper sheet just doesn't compute at all. I can't see any way to put those two together and have it work out. Something just isn't right. I would weigh again rather that put any stock in those numbers.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
After getting the slips that day, I was a bit perplexed, but there was no markings on exactly how to park. I need to figure out how to park in them, so I can get a better weight. Good thing I'm human, and my ego don't prevent asking questions or for help.

56Jeff.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like his truck/trailer wasn't placed on the right platforms. For sure the trucks drive axle doesn't weigh 9920 lbs.
Even the bottom scale ticket shows the trailer was on the drive axle platform and trailer platform.

I have had no problems using LT tires on all my rv and non rv trailers ranging in size from 10k-22k gvwr.
Stock yards on sales days around the loading chutes are alway crowded with trucks and trailers trying to get loaded out or even leave after loading.
At times I have to spin my 36' tri axle GN stock trailer on the center axle getting out of a trap. No problems with full load and a good poly carcass or a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire. 'course all my tires on my trailers have max sidewall pressures for max performance/reliability.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jkwilson wrote:
You have almost 10,000lbs on your truck's rear axle? That is excessive if I'm reading it correctly.

Looking at scale slips I canโ€™t for the life of me figure how he got those weights!
Front 4,840#
Drive 9,920#
Trailer 4,240#
Total 19,000

Trailer
Drive 3,360# (pin?)
Trailer 7,220#

I think he needs to run the scales again correctly.
The only number on those sheets that looks correct is the 1st Steer axle!
If correctly set
On the scale should be more like
Steer 4,820#
Drive 5,600#
Trailer 8,580#

Trailer specs are
Dry 9,624#
Dry pin 1,792#
GVWR 12,192#

So the correct way to scale
1st trip truck and trailer correctly placed on the three plates.
Second trip truck only sitting on steer and drive plates.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have almost 10,000lbs on your truck's rear axle? That is excessive if I'm reading it correctly.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
As Promised, here is my update and 2 weeks of education that sunk in.

No Liquids, ready to camp

2010 F250 Diesel With 2015 Crossroads Cruiser 33 foot 305RS

Just 5th wheel standing alone on the scale, no truck.

ST tires- they need the MAX pressure if you expect them to perform. Some suggest a TPMS.
LT tires a a bit more forgiving on tire pressure, but not recomended.

Pivioting on your tires is not good for the tires, and will break the belts leading to blowouts. Should try to be rolling when backing up or making sharp turns.

Some tires get labeled China-pops, I have busted Gladiators, Carlisle, and Lions-head tires. 2 of these, I suspect were driver / owner induced.

I have gone to GY Endurance Load range E- ( 3417 at 80 psi), with a trailer # of 10,600, means I'm caring ~78% load on these tires standing still not hooked to the truck. Hooked to truck (~1700 hitch wt.) gets me to ~65% load on the tires. If my math is right.

I will up date my experience with the GY Endurance tires, if anything exciting happens.

Much appreciation to the folks who took the time to add advice, I am human, and can never know it all. Please feel free to add here of IM me if you have questions.

56Jeff

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You should have said what brand, and whether they were "E" rated ST tires or "E" rated LT tires. I would bet that you're running "E" rated 235/80-16 ST tires.

If it is 9600 lbs. dry, you're probably looking at least 11,000 lbs. loaded and on the road. Even at 12,000 lbs. you should be fine with "E" rated LT tires. They are rated at 3040 lbs. at 80 psi. That gives you 12,000 lbs. carrying capacity. If you weigh 12,000 lbs., you'll be carrying around 2400 lbs. in the bed of the truck leaving less than 10,000 lbs. on the trailer axles. You should be good to go with "E" rated 235/80-16 LT tires.

IMO "G" rated tires would be overkill on your 5th wheel.

Ditto what he said!

OP: See you are a "new member".
Nothing wrong with that, however....

"Tires" have been beat to death here - and not by potholes!..:W

Some folks will just skip tire threads, so....
Suggest you try a search - both the current 12 months, and the archives (older than 12 months)- for tire threads & posts.

Start with the brand you have - then go "generic", eg: "tires", etc.

You will find *ALL* the info - experiences, data, and opinions - you could ever want (it's *ALL* been covered before)..:C

Roll on......

~

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
http://rvtravel.com/figure-st-type-tires-maximum-speed/
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
56Jeff wrote:
After 3 blow outs and 2 flats in 3 years, I have come to the reality that my 5th wheel provider put the wrong tires on my RV. The trailer is 9600 Dry, so we call it 10,000 Pull weight. I have load range "E". Im going to Load range "G" if I need different rims and valve stems, so be it.

My thought is with the "E" tire, Im already at max load, then add in the bouncing of the roads between Houston and the Mississippi Gulf coast, is just too much of a dynamic Load range "E" tire.

Someone say, Good Job..& Why It took you so long to join the real world. LOL

Actually I really want a thread that shows Load range "E" is not the best choice for a 10,000# 5th wheel. Or am I off base that much

Thanks in Advance for the input.

56Jeff

After 3 blow outs and 2 flats in 3 years, more than likely you are neglecting your tires. Under inflation and high speed create heat which will destroy even "G" rated tires. The sidewall of the tire will state the maximum cold inflation, and, maximum speed rating, and will have the manufacture week/year as age can also affect tire reliability even though the tread may look fine. I have "E" rated tires on my 14,000 lb trailer, I inflate my tires to 80 lbs and keep my speeds under 65 mph. Knock on wood, I've had only one blow-out in over 20 years of rv'ing. If you prefer to travel at higher speeds, I would go with a "LT" tire as they would have a higher speed rating.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pulling the Montana HC with 12,500GVW, right at that weight. Heavy loaded for a 2-4 week trip I run about 4500# per axle and 3,000+# pin weight. I have 5200# axles and 6 lug hubs. I went straight to Discount Tire after buying the trailer and put 230 80 16 E Maxxis on it. Ran them almost 4 years with no issues. Last spring I replaced with the new Carlisle HD, same size. One long trip and a couple short trips, no issues. You can get the Carlisle HD for about $50 through WalMart.com, delivered to your store, mounted free. I got Discount to match that price.
Get to a CAT scale when you get home and get your axles on different scale pads. You should be fine. Get a TPMS. Air to 80psi. Check often. I check temps with a infrared temp gun on the tires and drums at most fuel stops.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like the wheel let the pressure drop, the tire then overheated and gave up the ghost. My guess anyway. But it would be interesting to hear what brand it was.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
J&E wrote:
Some years ago I went to G rated tires. I bought cast aluminum wheels for the 110 PSI rated tires. Last year I had a blow out on one......

If you don't mind, what brand G-rated tire blew out, and
Was it a defect or road hazard issue?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

J_E
Explorer
Explorer
Some years ago I went to G rated tires. I bought cast aluminum wheels for the 110 PSI rated tires. Last year I had a blow out on one and when I had it replaced the tire manager told the tech to check the wheel. He found that the cast wheel had a leak in it. When I got home I bought forged aluminum wheels that have a higher weight rating and I hope these will hold up better. Good luck.
"03 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison. '03 Jayco 3610 RLTS Designer Legacy 5er, (Actually still running)MOR/ryde IS Suspension,TrailerSaver II Air Ride Hitch.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
With that many tire problems in 3 years you might want to take the rig to an axle shop and have the wheel alignment checked.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76