cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires again.....Hartland by Discount Tire

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
Discount Tire price matched Walmart.com on the E rated Nitto tires for our dually. While talking with the manager, we got around to RV tires. He brought out one of the all steel Hartland tires they carry. Great looking, heavy tire. He tells me they are selling the heck out of them. I'm thinking I'm gonna try a set.(moving from E up to G rated tires. I checked on the availability of the Sailun tires, but they're a no go here. Very little mention of Hartland tires on the internet. I'm just not willing to pay the price for the GY G rated tires after my friend had two blow.
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK
13 REPLIES 13

Len_in_PHoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Limited trip report: I made a 300 mile round trip last weekend with the Hartland tires on my 180CK, loaded to roughly 5k pounds. The outbound trip was early in the morning and had temps in the low 90's. The return trip was Sunday afternoon when Phoenix hit 119 degrees. No issues at all with the tires...there were alligators and broken rigs all over the road on Sunday, but the Hartland tires did just fine.

1,500 mile trip coming in July. Will follow up after that one is over.
2006 Pioneer 180CK, dragged by a 1997 F250 Powersmoke

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
At Discount Tires, I was offered a Hartland "G load rating", 110 PSI tire, as replacement for a GY 614 that had a blow out. The store didn't have a GY in stock. I had the Hartland mounted on my wheel and took off thinking I really had a good deal since it was about half price of the Goodyear. Before I mounted it, the next day I checked the pressure and it was approximately zero PSI. Discount had not replaced the valve and it was loose. This was NOT the Hartland's fault. The Hartland was a ST tire, though. My rig is spec'd for LT tires. Discount located a GY LT tire across town (Corpus Christi) and I went there, exchanged the Hartland ST for a GY LT and all is good. EXCEPT the GY tear was $411.50 vice $155.84. I would like more usage data on the Hartland also.
Catfish
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

Len_in_PHoenix
Explorer
Explorer
In a few weeks/months I'll be able to report on this topic also. I put a set of Hartland radials on my "new to me" 180CK the day I bought it. I've only put about 20 miles on the trailer since they went on, but I can say that it does feel smoother than it did with the 3 year old Triangle tires that were on it.

I'll be making a 250 mile trip next week and a 1,500 mile trip next month. Follow ups will be coming....

And thanks for posting this! It reminded me to go register for the $75 rebate!
2006 Pioneer 180CK, dragged by a 1997 F250 Powersmoke

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I'm with Rusty on this...

Tires are just one of the few things I won't cheap out either... I had 2 of the G-614's blow in 1 day back in 2012.. They were 5 years old and at the end of a good run....
Interesting enough I had No damage, the tread separated and the tire was still holding air , I swapped them out to the 17.5's once I got home and never looked back.

you get what you pay for

I'm also with Rusty on this. The peace of mind the G614s give me is more than worth the price.

As I've said before, its bad enough having a blowout and tearing up your camper. But 99% of the time, its going to happen while you're on vacation. I work too hard to have my down time ruined by another TowMax scenario.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do post back about how they hold out.There's always a market for a good RV tire.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
Isn't HARTLAND discount tires house brand?
Why yes it is!
"Hartland trailer tires are sold exclusively by Discount Tire Direct. We created the brand to deliver an excellent combination of value and quality. You will find that Hartland tires are available in the most popular sizes and they have been made to stand up to heavy use. Quality materials and advanced engineering go into every Hartland tire to ensure it withstands extreme conditions and delivers long wear."

So with these tires you could be getting the deal of the century or the dog of the year. All depends on how much oversight a company like Discount tire is willing to put into the Chinese companies manufacturing procedure.
Does discount tire have feet on the ground in China making sure the correct compounds are put into the formula?
China has a rep for bad tires BUT I REPEAT BUT: the quality of a Chinese tire is directly related into the oversight the company ordering puts into the manufacturing process.
Michelin even makes tire in China (although not for U.S. market yet).
So my feeling here is the guy is touting the house brand.

It was clear to me they were the Discount Tire house brand. That's why in the subject line I put "Hartland by Discount Tire". I'm gonna be the guinea pig here.....If no one ever buys them, or reports back, we'll never know whether they are good or not. The all steel have an M speed rating (81 mph). I don't tow anywhere near that fast, but I like that better than the 65mph ST rating.

Someone mentioned they looked like the Gladiator tires. I don't know about that, but I have seen some good reports on Gladiator tires. I know all tires will fail, but with the GY failures I know about, and what my RV service man tells me about the GY failures he has seen, I'm not gonna fork out over 350 bucks a tire for them.

Like I said, I'll report back after I get them and put a couple trips on them. Waiting now on a stress crack repair.
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^^^^^Yes, the guy may indeed be touting the house brand. That in itself doesn't mean they aren't good tires. If you go to the Goodyear store guess what brand they'll be touting. Does that mean the Goodyear G614 isn't any good?

I've not heard anything good or bad about Hartland tires. Several years ago nobody had heard of Sailun tires either, but they seem to be working out very well for a lot of people. Maybe the Hartland will be the same. I might gamble if they were obviously a heavier, more solid tire than a regular ST tire.

BUT WHEN I GO to a Good year store and they tout their brand I am aware, same with Firestone and Sears. You go in expecting to be sold their brand.
When I go to an independent tire dealer and they have a house brand I feel ethically they should point out it is their house brand. Something like " I recommend our HARTLAND TIRES for your application". This puts me on notice
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looked at a couple of Hartland tires at a nearby Discount Tire a week or so ago. The tread pattern on the 235 Hartlands look very similar to a number of 235 Gladiators I've seen.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^^Yes, the guy may indeed be touting the house brand. That in itself doesn't mean they aren't good tires. If you go to the Goodyear store guess what brand they'll be touting. Does that mean the Goodyear G614 isn't any good?

I've not heard anything good or bad about Hartland tires. Several years ago nobody had heard of Sailun tires either, but they seem to be working out very well for a lot of people. Maybe the Hartland will be the same. I might gamble if they were obviously a heavier, more solid tire than a regular ST tire.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't HARTLAND discount tires house brand?
Why yes it is!
"Hartland trailer tires are sold exclusively by Discount Tire Direct. We created the brand to deliver an excellent combination of value and quality. You will find that Hartland tires are available in the most popular sizes and they have been made to stand up to heavy use. Quality materials and advanced engineering go into every Hartland tire to ensure it withstands extreme conditions and delivers long wear."

So with these tires you could be getting the deal of the century or the dog of the year. All depends on how much oversight a company like Discount tire is willing to put into the Chinese companies manufacturing procedure.
Does discount tire have feet on the ground in China making sure the correct compounds are put into the formula?
China has a rep for bad tires BUT I REPEAT BUT: the quality of a Chinese tire is directly related into the oversight the company ordering puts into the manufacturing process.
Michelin even makes tire in China (although not for U.S. market yet).
So my feeling here is the guy is touting the house brand.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
There is two reasons tire places sell tires.

One, they sell you a really good tire, knowing you will remember them, but won't be back for a while and might sell the rig.

Or two, they sell you a cheap tire, with a huge markup for them, knowing you won't be back, but they made a lot of money off you. No, wait, you might be back, getting replacements under warranty and inconvenience.

The people on here know more about what works than a salesman.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

I'm with Rusty on this...

Tires are just one of the few things I won't cheap out either... I had 2 of the G-614's blow in 1 day back in 2012.. They were 5 years old and at the end of a good run....
Interesting enough I had No damage, the tread separated and the tire was still holding air , I swapped them out to the 17.5's once I got home and never looked back.

you get what you pay for
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
When did your friend blow 2 Goodyear G614s? The very early G614s had a tread separation problem, but this was resolved with a 2007 redesign. The early G614s were OEM equipment on our 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3, and we lost 2 of them in 2007. Goodyear paid to repair the damage on our 5th wheel and replaced all 4 tires with the redesigned G614s. We ran those until 2010 with no problems whatsoever when I upgraded to 17.5" Michelin XTAs because we were taking a July trip from Houston, TX to Arizona and didn't want to take any chances.

Personally, tires, brakes and hitches are things that I won't "cheap out" on. Our current 2014.5 Mobile Suites 38RSSA came with 17.5" Goodyear G114s, and they've been trouble-free so far. It's your money and your choice, but I wouldn't put a tire that I've never heard of under my 5th wheel regardless of whether Discount Tire recommends it or not - as I recall, they used to recommend the old Carlisles as well. 😞

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600