cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires on a 5th wheel and aggravation

Schnizzy
Explorer
Explorer
This is not a request for help, rather an experience to share.
Tenth year in our 3rd 5th Wheel. We had 2 blowouts in the first due to old tires, my fault.
This 5th wheel is less than 5 years old and we had 3 blowouts, explosions on the way from Maine to Florida this year. The damage to the camper was almost $500. DOT dates are 5 years old. They have less than 5000 miles. A 4th tire blew up while attached to the back of the RV, not even on the ground.
These are China bomb tires, Castle Rock. We tried to claim a warranty but so far, we might see $210 for 2 tires. We submitted photos of DOT numbers for 3 tires. The distributor responds the tires exploded because they were overloaded. Yep, that explains why one did not leak on the back of the camper, rather it freaking exploded, as in gun shot exploded.

The point is , when you buy, demand the best tires. It is no fun crawling around under a camper when you are 74, it is 29F outside and the 18 wheelers want to give you a sway.

If a tire blows up, take lots of photos including the brand of tire, size, damage, DOT number which is only on one side, 4 numerical digits, as in 0519, 5th week year 2019.

My RV dealer in Maine reports the new RVs are arriving with good tires. Good news.

Advice to RV dealers; do not send a camper down the road with China bombs. Know your customers, they will not think highly of you if you sell RVs with junk tires.
15 REPLIES 15

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
The rule of thumb for trailer tires is no more than 5 years to replace. With the cheap ST ones that were used from 2015 to 2020 I would say 4 years. Thats when I replaced mine with a set of Maxxis tires. They are not LT but much better than the China bombs that came with the trailer. Age is a bigger factor than milage IMHO.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelle.S wrote:
The Marathons were BAD, if on a new camper you would be lucky to get it home before you had a blow-out.

My 5th Wheel had Marathon tires when I bought it. They were 6 years old when they went. But, when they went, they went... One blew, 2 were out of round, the others were fine but replaced when I replaced everything.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Ultimately that is the problem! How can a brand new camper with brand new tires possibly need all of its' tires replaced?
An experienced RV'er knows they send them out brand new from the factory with with junk tires.
A rookie RV'er finds out the hard way.
Unfortunately once upon a time we were all rookies.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Marathons were BAD, if on a new camper you would be lucky to get it home before you had a blow-out.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy it or not but I've had two tires blow out over the years that I was using as spares. They were both good looking tires. They were Good Year marathons and neither one was on the ground and neither one had any discernible flaws. They also had the right amount of air pressure. It happens. I was in the house when the 2nd one blew. I heard a big bang went out and there was pieces of my spare tire cover all over and a big hole in the tire.
Moose

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless it was massively overinflated in subfreezing temperatures and then taken immediately to 100F+ temps...not buying that an unmounted spare tire just exploded unless there was more to the story. Was it chaffing against a piece of metal or something?

What were the CAT scale numbers, inflation and actual age/miles on the ones that blew while under load?

Not saying there aren't different qualities of tires but if it sounds unbelievable, most of the time it is.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
OP wrote:
This is not a request for help, rather an experience to share.

Your story sound like many other other rv website members over the years with issues from low quality ST tires. More so some years back.
We have some very good ST tires made in China on the market now unlike 10-20 years ago when all ST tires were called may pops and all were made in the USA.

Not many 16" LT tire sizes and higher load ranges for 7k-8k axles on the market.
Goodyear G614 RST in a LT235/85-16 G at 3750 lbs.

Hercules H-901 LT 235/85-16 G @ 3750 lbs capacity.

Sailun S637 235/75-17.5" load H @ 6005 lbs.
""""""""""""245/70-17.5" load H @ 6005 lbs.These are a all position tire for commercial trucks and trailers.
They work great on RV trucks and trailers.

All above are a commercial grade all steel ply carcass.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
NMDriver2 wrote:
LT tires never ST.

You can't run LT tires on many of the newer bigger Rigs, as they just do not have the load capacity for 7K axles without even talking 8K axles, that will fit. I need 17.5" tires and don't know of any LTs in my size
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My advice would be to run the oem cheepo tires not more that a year.
Get replacements where the tire load range covers the full trailer GVWR.

+1 for GY Endurance.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
NMDriver2 wrote:
LT tires never ST.

Running Goodyear Wrangler LT tires on both my 5th wheel and Gooseneck, perfect tire for my weight. My last set on my gooseneck lasted way past date where I should have replaced them and never had a problem. I would buy LT tires if it is within the weight of the trailer - if not, go with F or G tires. Not a fan of ST tires as they are not tested and do not have the same standards as a LT tire.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GY ENDURANCE, simply try to find a NON ROAD HAZARD claim. You most likely will NOT. Stellar record since introduction in early 2017. Expensive??? Don't thin k so.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
If you =have= to use ST tires, there =are= decent ones out there. GY Endurance are some of the better ones, though more expensive. I'm not a GY fan, but that's what I ended up having to put on my KZ when I needed to replace the OEM tires. So far, I'm satisifed with them. Could have saved about $100 on a set if I could have had them in time before a trip.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
LT tires never ST.
Turret Class traveler

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I feel your pain as a 10 year RV'er you got to know you need quality tires by now. Don't count on the dealer to provide quality tires. ultimately it is your knowledge and responsibility to avoid china bombs.
If you were a newbie I'd understand but as a 10 year RV'er and someone who has played the RV blowout game you got to be savvy enough to protect/save yourself.
Preventative maintenance and keen awareness is key to successful R$V ownership if you slack in these areas it will come back to bite you.
I have been bitten by tires before. While I agree OEM tires have improved.
It still maybe necessary/wise to replace tires on a brand new RV.
The dealer will not tell you that but 10 years of experience will.
You are new to the forum and my comments may appear to be a bit course and blunt that is not my intent.
If you read these forums you will find cheap tires and blowouts is an old reoccurring issue that can be only be resolved by knowing your towing parameters and weight and by buying premium tires.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide