cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires; revisited; yet again

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I knew what I wanted. I really did. I am looking to replace my ST235/80/16 Goodyear Marathon tires due to age and the begining of rot. I was going to get the same tire, just move up to E rated from D. I have 3 axles and a GVW of 13K. D would probably suffice, but I like the extra insurance. I made my case on a couple of threads and got bombarded. I heard good cases for both. I talked to my tire guy and got the company line. ST for trailers; period. I read a good artcle here:

ST vs. LT Tires

And got some great info, but no definitive answers. At this point I don't think there are any. I would like to hear real world experiences; especially those who had ST tires and went to LT tires for a reason. I would also like to hear of any LT owners who went to ST and why. I'm not trying to get a flaming argument going, just a good friendly discussion. My trailer is a 2006 Jayco Talon ZX bumper pull. Thanks in advance.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71
54 REPLIES 54

dedmiston
Tires, tires, tires...

Locked, then unlocked against better judgment, then locked again.

Anybody else bored to tears by tire threads?

Locked.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
I didn't post up a post or a pix, but it happened to my buddy, as we were going to the dunes, to boondock camp.
In AZ, speed limit is 75mph. So that is what I do. It was 93F outside, we were doing 75mph, he lost 2 tires on that trip.... ST tires. I run XPS Ribs on my trailer, and I run fuel fuel, 60 gallons, and full water, 160 gallons, and a 2700lbs Sandrail, and 2 400lbs quads....... 🙂

I hear ya Linc, I do almost the same, also with Ribs(Q-100mph rated LT tire). Love those tires...

Lets be real world, don't see many, if any, big TH running down the 10 around Quartzsite going 50-55mph...

Might actually be less safe going 55mph on some/many of our countries hi speed highways than keeping up with traffic. Getting 'blown by constantly, by big rigs(and cars) passing you going 20-30 mph faster is tiring and not safe. Imo you're a road block, causing congestion and backing up traffic on many of our hi speed freeways, causing many vehicles trying to get around you as fast as they can, not good, not safe...

Not saying you got to go 70-80mph, but probably a good idea to be able to at least keep up with the big rigs that almost all go over the max limit of the ST tire...?

Guess sT guys, could crank it way up to their 62mph limit and be maxed out, running right up against the speed limit of the ST tire trying to keep up with traffic...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
Personal experience: My 3 Tow Master china bombs were deemed a failure by Greenball the MFG as "tread separation". Fact! Search my posts if needed for more info.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

mrxlh
Explorer
Explorer
Ric Flair wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
I bet if truth be known the blowouts from most trailer tires are a result of higher speeds than what the tires are rated for!!
I see guys rolling down the interstates all the time running 70 plus mph pulling trailers.

You can see the tires rating as its rolling down the interstate at 70 plus mph? Dang, you're good!

All you guys pulling heavy trailers with ST cr@p tires, listen.

You can rationalize keeping them because they are new
You can baby them.
You can check pressure every trip
You can check temp at every stop
You can keep them under 65 mph

...and you will be sorry when (not if) they explode and rip the side off your camper.

Been there, done all of the above, here to tell you.

X25 to the 99 power!!
Ryan

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up the RV; tires look great. All 6 on the rim and out the door for under a grand. I had them balanced too, even though lots if folks don't. Also had them use metal valve stems. I'm quite pleased.
Brian

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't post up a post or a pix, but it happened to my buddy, as we were going to the dunes, to boondock camp.
In AZ, speed limit is 75mph. So that is what I do. It was 93F outside, we were doing 75mph, he lost 2 tires on that trip.... ST tires. I run XPS Ribs on my trailer, and I run fuel fuel, 60 gallons, and full water, 160 gallons, and a 2700lbs Sandrail, and 2 400lbs quads....... 🙂
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
right over your head

I'm an ST hater
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Ric Flair wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:

Ran ST tires all the way around the country-over 8,000 miles NO ISSUES. NEVER RAN OVER 60mph. The above poster is right, I have seen 85% of RVers exceeding 65mph when I traveled. Excessive speed is the NUMBER ONE issue.

85% over 65 mph and that's the "number one issue" causing BlowMax failures.

Who could argue when faced with such incontrovertible facts. Guess I'll head on over to Discount Tire and have them yank my G rated LTs for ST.....

....Hey, wait a minute, what happened here? This one was on a brand new trailer, sitting on the lot at the dealership (courtesy of the Heartland Forum):

Hummmm

Yep, and I have seen pictures of plenty of ST tires that were blowouts that were obviously a "road hazard" situation but try telling that to the ST haters.

When was the last time you saw a post on any forum stating something as follows-"here is a picture of my blown ST tire. I was going 75mph on a hot day through the Southwestern desert with my tow hauler running heavy with fuel and water so I could go to the dunes and boondock and I had a blowout"!

I have NEVER SEEN ONE. Please post a link if you have.

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:

Ran ST tires all the way around the country-over 8,000 miles NO ISSUES. NEVER RAN OVER 60mph. The above poster is right, I have seen 85% of RVers exceeding 65mph when I traveled. Excessive speed is the NUMBER ONE issue.

85% over 65 mph and that's the "number one issue" causing BlowMax failures.

Who could argue when faced with such incontrovertible facts. Guess I'll head on over to Discount Tire and have them yank my G rated LTs for ST.....

....Hey, wait a minute, what happened here? This one was on a brand new trailer, sitting on the lot at the dealership (courtesy of the Heartland Forum):

Hummmm
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Ric Flair wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
I bet if truth be known the blowouts from most trailer tires are a result of higher speeds than what the tires are rated for!!
I see guys rolling down the interstates all the time running 70 plus mph pulling trailers.

You can see the tires rating as its rolling down the interstate at 70 plus mph? Dang, you're good!

You can baby them.

...and you will be sorry when (not if) they explode and rip the side off your camper.

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

You can baby them.

2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

maps
Explorer
Explorer
rcpd34 wrote:
This is the tire I went with:

BF Goodrich

Anyone run these?

I have had them on my 5er for two years and all has been well.
2003 Super Duty 6.0L, 4x4, some things added and some things missing
2005 KZ Sportsman Sportster 33P
2012 KTM 350XCF
2008 KTM 450XCR-W

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Dropped the rig off tonight; getting reshod tomorrow. These are brand new fresh mfg tires. He had some in stock but agreed to order 6 new ones for me. I will double check the date code when I pick it up to be sure.
Brian