cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicle question

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to purchase a new one ton TV. I am not a brand loyalist and after evaluating Ford, GM and RAM which all have fantastic specs for 2020. However, does anyone know if either of those mfg's offer a GPS system that are tailored for trucks instead of cars for route planning that take into account height, width and weight of the truck and trailer.
14 REPLIES 14

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I have the GPS system in my truck and have updated it. I should say it is not just pricey to do, but time consuming. I probably shouldn't bother since my iPhone has a better system and I usually use it. It also comes with constant and free updates plus it talks to me through the Bluetooth system. If you have a smart phone it comes with it.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I know it's all the rage now....in-dash nav systems, but just be aware that to up date them from time to time to the latest maps may cost you. I have seen $140 for each up date.

From Edmunds .....Updates: The maps on factory systems are typically as current as the vehicle's model year. If you want to update the maps, you need to purchase a memory card or, for an older vehicle, a DVD. These can cost $75-$200.

I like Garmin's with life time map updates.

good advice

my wife's ford explorer in dash gps is no where as accurate as my trusty life time maps update garmin,,, or google maps

kodiak_308
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently been trying to get an answer for that exact question. With all of the trailer specific settings that the GM, and probably Ford or Dodge,are offering in their 2020 trucks, you would think someone would have given the navigation system more thought. From what I have learned GM is not currently going to offer a feature to their navigation system that allows for RV specific routing. Rumor has it that a solution, perhaps an Android Auto App is in the works.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
I know it's all the rage now....in-dash nav systems, but just be aware that to up date them from time to time to the latest maps may cost you. I have seen $140 for each up date.

From Edmunds .....Updates: The maps on factory systems are typically as current as the vehicle's model year. If you want to update the maps, you need to purchase a memory card or, for an older vehicle, a DVD. These can cost $75-$200.

The nav updates for my '11 Sonata and the wife's '13 Genesis Coupe run $250 EACH and are s/n specific. For that money you can buy a standalone Garmin with =lifetime= updates. No more OEM navs for me, that's for sure.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I would not say this is a non issue. It does seem crazy that the $80K truck has an exhaust brake, tow haul mode but no trucker/RV friendly GPS.
They did think of massage seats.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
I personally think this is a non issue unless you are running the back roads. I've never really ran into a issue yet doing this for 15 years.

Get what you like the best.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAM/AISIN combo, carry on!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I updated my 14 Ram for $40
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping to get an factory GPS, but it looks like they offer automobile GPS and not a truckers GPS. Maybe the truck mfg's marketing and engineering people should get together and incorporated GPS units that fit the needs of a truck which pull or carry large loads that are not fitting for some roads, over-passes, tunnels or other restrictions. Definately something they sould offer. They charge an outlandish price for something that is ineffective.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I've got factory GPS. I watch clearance signs. I had to turn around once...on Skyline Drive.
I don't want another doodad sitting on my dash with another wire to deal with.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2015 Chev came with the factory navigation system. Never again. The cost of one update will buy a stand alone with free lifetime updates.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer is "No" to your original question. If you want a GPS that is set up for towing (overhead clearance, weight, length, etc.), the Garmin RV or Dezl units are your best bet.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
neal10a wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new one ton TV. I am not a brand loyalist and after evaluating Ford, GM and RAM which all have fantastic specs for 2020. However, does anyone know if either of those mfg's offer a GPS system that are tailored for trucks instead of cars for route planning that take into account height, width and weight of the truck and trailer.

The Garmin Dezl 770 will meet all your needs and then some. i.e voice command allows you to just use your voice to make changes as you drive, the 7" screen makes it easy to read as you are driving down the road, Garmin tech support is great.