cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing difference between 37 and 42ft FW

Sinton4616
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have been trailerless since Hurricane Harvey decided to destroy our TT. We're looking at FW and still discussing (READ: arguing) the floor plans.

Realizing there will be a difference between towing a 34ft TT and a FW, how much of a difference have you noticed between a 37ft and a 42ft FW? Is there much of a difference in handling? Figure GVWR of what we are looking at is between 14-15.5K.

(Not worried about weight. Truck is an F350 DRW with 5,490lbs CC according to the door jam and a 3.55 read end. I've also purchased a 20K B&W Companion hitch after reading review and listening to advice here.)
2018 F350 6.7L DRW 4WD 3.55 with 5,490lbs CC "little yellow sticker"
B&W 20K Companion Hitch
2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS
Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey: 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 3102BDS
17 REPLIES 17

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
The FW will tow easier and smoother in almost all conditions.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD is correct, I went from 38-42' overall 4-5k heavier but handles the same but not as easy to find a place to park.

"(Not worried about weight. Truck is an F350 DRW with 5,490lbs CC according to the door jam and a 3.55 read end. I've also purchased a 20K B&W Companion hitch after reading review and listening to advice here.)"

Well at least you listened to our advice about the hitch!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Not mentioned, but you'll have to remember to swing wider on turns with the 5er vs your TT or you'll be clipping curbs.
Just keep an eye on the 5'ver tires in your mirrors, you'll quickly learn the spacing.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I would agree that towing won't be any different. Parking is where you'll notice the extra length.

Agree we went from a 36 foot fifth wheel to a 42 foot.
Backing up into sites and turning corners are the only difference I experienced.

Pretty much the same here as well. However, this year we added into the mix a 8' box as previous trucks all were short boxes. Just take it slow and easy and use the GOAL (Get Out And Look) system if need be.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I would agree that towing won't be any different. Parking is where you'll notice the extra length.

Agree we went from a 36 foot fifth wheel to a 42 foot.
Backing up into sites and turning corners are the only difference I experienced.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will find that the 5er takes longer to swing backing up and then can quickly turn too much unless you reverse the steering wheel and follow the turn. Find a parking lot and practice.
Be very aware of opposite side obstacles while you are in the follow the turn phase of getting into a site as they can bite you while you are looking the other way.
Puma 30RKSS

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a 2.5 mo 6k mi trip. It was our first. What we learned was that some campsites are on the narrow side so I couldn't park the truck to the side of the camper.

So there were times that when the camper was positioned ideally for the slides to come out and so all my utilities could easily reach, that there was barely enough length left on the site to park the truck.

Of course one could always park in the parking spaces but that's not as convenient.

Also with some sites, a longer trailer will have a tough time making the turns. In Okanagan, B.C., we had a site with narrow pad AND narrow access road. My truck was barely able to make the turn without the camper swiping up against the trees.

Yes, one could always choose a longer and wider site. But this was all that was left. We had to make a route change during our trip due to unforeseen circumstances.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Bierp
Explorer
Explorer
I made a very similar jump this year with almost the same truck. My gears are 3.73 which helps a little. Using the 25k B&W.

Just did about 5k of towing and had no issues. The sway is non-existent with the 5er, though it wasn't terrible with the TT on this truck. As others have said, backing up is a whole new ballgame. I was pretty slick with the TT, but the 5er has made me look bad a few times. The pivot point is further forward and the axles are further back. That changes everything.

Enjoy your new rig!
2018 Montana 3950BR - 3rd AC, Stacked W/D, Winegard Trav'ler (DTV), 2000w inverter, EMS-HW50C
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel Dually - B&W 25k Hitch

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not mentioned, but you'll have to remember to swing wider on turns with the 5er vs your TT or you'll be clipping curbs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

okiefatman
Explorer
Explorer
Would be better if you had 4:10 gears there is a major difference between 3:55 and 4:10 gears. Allow extra time when passing, also when backing the tail end of the trailer doesn`t react as fast with the extra length.

Sinton4616
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the confirmation. Looking to pull the trigger on a 2018 Sandpiper 357DSOK. If I don't have any calls this weekend, might go make an offer. If not and the RW is gone, oh well. There will be another.

Thank you all for the responses. Just have to learn how to back it up.

Little nervous about getting a Class A non-professional license as the GVWR of both the truck and FW will be over the 26,001lb limit from Texas. But planning on three things.....practice, practice and yet even more practice.
2018 F350 6.7L DRW 4WD 3.55 with 5,490lbs CC "little yellow sticker"
B&W 20K Companion Hitch
2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS
Destroyed by Hurricane Harvey: 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 3102BDS

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
went from a 30' TT to a 40' 5ver, only difference was backing up, It's a learning curve, but once you pass it, it's a lot easier.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Not that much difference but you will need to watch that tail swing in tight spaces.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
If you have been towing a 37' TT and go to a 42' FW, the towing difference will be easier. The length will be about the same, probably less since much of the additional length will be above the truck bed. I will think it will be a much easier tow for you and your vehicle should easily handle it.

We used to tow a 35' TT and our 42' FW tows so much easier with little to no "push" when we are passed by large trucks.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW