cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing

ijon
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at toy haulers. One that I found is the Fury 2910 made by Forest River.I ride a Spyder. My son wants me to get a fifth wheel. I want to store the toy hauler in my pole barn and the fifth wheels are to tall to fit in. I know there is a lot of knowledge about towing on this forum. Please tell me the pros and cons of bumper pull and fifth wheel.
15 REPLIES 15

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
If it came down to having a bumper pull that could fit underneath my barn or a fifth wheel that would be left out in the elements, I'd get a bumper pull hands down.

I've had both: three bumper pulls and two 5ers. I now have a 5er just because the only way you can get over 40' typically is with a 5er.

If you find a bumper pull you really like, get a quality WD hitch and HAVE IT SET UP PROPERLY. My last bumper pull was a 33' Work & Play with a 1500 lb. tongue weight. Once I set up the Equalizer hitch properly (not like the dealer did), it pulled as good as any 5er out there. Sway was never an issue; even on the interstates at 70 mph and large rigs passing by didn't phase it at all.

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
I have an extended cab truck with 8 foot bed. I pull a 26 bumper pull trailer, been all over north America never had an issue pulling. Got the trailer in the first place because of having snowmobiles and like the flat floor. Also the bumper pulls are generally lower to the ground so easier to get in and out.

Sprinks542
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
bvereshagen wrote:
You should consider whether or not having the box of your truck available for storage while you are on the road is a significant factor. Don't forget that with a fifth wheel younwill still have the wart in your box when the trailer is not attached.

When my hitch is out, I have a totally flat bed, just like the truck comes from the factory. Except it has a 3" diameter hole, but that is all.

Couldn't agree more. Today's hitches are outstanding. Depending on dually, if it's equipped with a puck system hitches drop right in and out.
15 Ford F-350 DRW PSD CC
17 417 Fuzion
15 Xds Turbo Maverick.
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
bvereshagen wrote:
You should consider whether or not having the box of your truck available for storage while you are on the road is a significant factor. Don't forget that with a fifth wheel younwill still have the wart in your box when the trailer is not attached.

When my hitch is out, I have a totally flat bed, just like the truck comes from the factory. Except it has a 3" diameter hole, but that is all.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm biased towards 5th wheels mainly because they tow very well. I've pulled through some pretty strong crosswinds and never felt uneasy. They are taller than a trailer, but I also like that because they feel more spacious inside.

As far as it being too tall for your pole barn, are you buying the toyhauler to store in your pole barn or to use on the road? I would buy a toyhauler based on how it's going to be to stay in, not how well it stores, unless you only plan on using it a few weekends, and maybe a couple week trips. Then I would rank storage ability pretty high.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
5th wheel. I have had a couple bumper pull haulers. Tired of tje white nuckle towing experience when loaded. Unloaded theunare fie, i have yet seen a BP TH tow properly loaded
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
5er will also have a lot more storage space than a bumper pull. Seeing you have a dually I think you should listen to your son.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ijon
Explorer
Explorer
I seen a fury 2910 in Florida. I will have about a foot in front and a foot in back of the Spyder so its probably eight foot. I tow a fourteen foot Legend trailer with the Spyder now. Will the weight and extra length make that much difference. The fury is 923 hitch weight and 7262 unloaded vehicle weight.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
bvereshagen wrote:

good advice here but once you tow a fifth wheel vs. tag you'll never want to go back. How long is your Spyder? Don't know if you're looking for a garage model or open but need to consider that too.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

bvereshagen
Explorer
Explorer

ijon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a one ton dully. I am going from a Lance truck camper no slide. We horse camped for fifteen years. But now go to Florida. For years we were fine it the truck camper. But this last year it just felt to close. No where to set and be comfortable. The main problem is the storage. The fifth wheels are to tall. I have a thirty by sixty pole barn to use for storage.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Bumper is easier to back up.
But you get used to a 5th wheel.
Pin weights on 5th wheels are a lot higher than tongue weights on bumper pull. So make sure you have enough truck to tow a 5th wheel.
5th wheel tows so much better, no sway, tracks better.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

davepasch
Explorer
Explorer
The difference is like night an day. 5th wheel only

ijon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.