cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Legs

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw these today. They have been out for years and never seen them. I was wondering if anyone has used these and what your thoughts are about them. They say they can be used to store your trailer with the wheels off the ground.I want to use them to lift my fiver. Www.trailerlegs.com
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn
28 REPLIES 28

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Just block it up and remove the tires. Cost less than $100 and is permanent.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As already stated this is a solution looking for a problem.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is what I am talking about. Adding that 5 psi would certainly help prevent the flatspotting. Plus, flatspots can be small enough not to be noticeable. (I'm sure that a flatspot that would lightly shake the stuff in a trailer's cabinets is not enough to be noticeable from the tow vehicle.

Flat spotting is still a problem with tires under heavy rv trailers or any heavy loaded trailer that sat for a "long time" (1-2 years).

The OP would be wise have his trailers tires off the ground by blocking the trailer and removing them for "LONG TERM" storage (not just a few months in the winter).
If the trailer is stored for more years than the tires usable service time then he could sell them now ....and buy new ones later on.

Were all just guessing on time stored.

Goodyear website "storing rv tires"

Storing Your Vehicle Without Removing the Tires

*Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

*Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires.

*Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturerโ€™s inflation capacity is not exceeded.

*Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level.

*Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather.

*Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as โ€œflat-spottingโ€ from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection.

*Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service.***
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Spindeepster
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Another issue I see is that the axle manufacturers say not to place jacks on the axle tube as it may damage the axle. These lift the axle exactly where the manufacturers tell you not to lift the trailer.

Ken

NOT true. The manufacturer warns against jacking in the MIDDLE of the axle. Reading the responses to this post, seems some of you might be surprised to learn that with the exception of the tongue, the axles support the entire weight of your rig!

"I didn't plan on getting old, it just happened, and it will happen to you too, if you're lucky".
---Andy Rooney

Spindeepster
Explorer
Explorer
It would be beneficial to post actual research, not just armchair opinion on this product and its benefits/shortfalls. Hearing from someone who actually uses the product would be most helpful.

"I didn't plan on getting old, it just happened, and it will happen to you too, if you're lucky".
---Andy Rooney

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
CapriRacer wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
jjj wrote:
To raise tires of the ground for long storage times.

Why do you want to do that? Modern tires are fine sitting for long periods.

No, they aren't!

Many tires today have cap plies made of nylon. Nylon is VERY prone to flatspotting - and the longer they sit, the more likely the flatspots may be permanent.

I believe you are thinking of tires from 40-50yrs ago.

Modern tires, it's simply not a concern.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
..... Not sure this nylon wrap would cause flat spotting. ....

Yes, that is what I am referring to - and there are some circumstances where the tires will flatspot. It isn't a 100% thing.

MFL wrote:
...... My Providers never seemed to flat spot from sitting over Winter. I do add an extra 5 psi in late fall due to air loss from Winter temp extremes. I air to 70 psi, even though tire max is 65. I let back down to 65 when warm temps return.

We do know the nylon tires of yesteryear did flat spot.

Jerry

Yes, that is what I am talking about. Adding that 5 psi would certainly help prevent the flatspotting. Plus, flatspots can be small enough not to be noticeable. (I'm sure that a flatspot that would lightly shake the stuff in a trailer's cabinets is not enough to be noticeable from the tow vehicle.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
Another issue I see is that the axle manufacturers say not to place jacks on the axle tube as it may damage the axle. These lift the axle exactly where the manufacturers tell you not to lift the trailer.

Ken

EXACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:"Can you please list a couple of these tires you are referring to? Also post a couple that do not apply."

Not sure of exact tires Capri is referring to?

The newer style ST tires, such as Provider, Endurance, maybe Carlisle HDs, have a nylon wrap around the plies, adding support, and allowing higher speed ratings. Not sure this nylon wrap would cause flat spotting.

My Providers never seemed to flat spot from sitting over Winter. I do add an extra 5 psi in late fall due to air loss from Winter temp extremes. I air to 70 psi, even though tire max is 65. I let back down to 65 when warm temps return.

We do know the nylon tires of yesteryear did flat spot.

Jerry

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
According to Michelin Man. Most all tires are subject to flat spotting but it is not permanent. As the tires warm up the flat spot will go away, usually in 20 minutes again according to Michelin Man.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I looked up these "levelers".

Reminds me of the ANDERSEN levelers. I say no bueno to both.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
CapriRacer wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
jjj wrote:
To raise tires of the ground for long storage times.

Why do you want to do that? Modern tires are fine sitting for long periods.

No, they aren't!

Many tires today have cap plies made of nylon. Nylon is VERY prone to flatspotting - and the longer they sit, the more likely the flatspots may be permanent.

Can you please list a couple of these tires you are referring to? Also post a couple that do not apply.

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
jjj wrote:
I just saw these today. They have been out for years and never seen them. I was wondering if anyone has used these and what your thoughts are about them. They say they can be used to store your trailer with the wheels off the ground.I want to use them to lift my fiver. Www.trailerlegs.com

I've never used them, but that doesn't stop me from having opinions about them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

On the face of it, they seem to be a pretty good solution for folks that want to get one or more tires clear of the ground - be it for storage, maintenance or to change a flat.
My real concern would be taking the unit down off the stands. Imagine the stress on the leaf springs of the entire camper bouncing down on all four wheels at the same time.
Considering that we almost universally believe the suspension under our campers is borderline safe, and we do see breakages of hangers, shackles and springs quite often, I am loathe to use anything that I think might add unnecessary stress to that system.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW