cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer under belly

heagle52
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever cut out a section of their trailer's under belly to gain access to plumbing, etc.? If so, how did you reattach it? The covering on my trailer is a sheet of flexible rubber.
2012 Ford F250 CC
2013 Sabre 32RETS
11 REPLIES 11

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Same idea as Gorilla Tape but wider. This has been recommended for the coroplast under bodies.
Flashing tape
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
A lot of people just cut 3 sides and leave the 4th side as a hinge. Swing the panel out of the way, do your repair, then use Gorilla tape to fix it back in place. FWIW, I've never heard of Gorilla tape coming lose =if= the surface is properly cleaned first.

Later: Make =sure= to leave the hinge to the front of the trailer, so if it =does= come loose, it'll just blow back up. Also, check it from time to time.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen corrugated plastic & my current one has a woven membrane, but I've never seen a rubber cover, so I can't comment on that. Black Gorrilla tape works very well on the plastic & fabric covers. I have some on that has lasted for years & still is firmly attached.

I would stay away from just about any of the grey duct tapes cause they just fall apart after a few months.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has corrugated plastic the whole length, it's attached with a metal trim that uses self tapping screws to frame.

Couple weeks ago I noticed about 5-6' had come loose and was actually riding on top of the leaf spring shackles.

I loosened the screws in the immediate area and after trying a couple of ways to support the bottom (with boxes and coolers) I found that C clamping two 2x4's across the bottom of one side, laying a small section of plywood across those and then C clamping the 2x4's to the opposite frame to compress the bottom therefore taking up the pillowing slack giving me the material to tuck back under the trim and re-tightening to secure.

Always a challenge working alone with large pieces but this worked well for me.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
remove the whole panel
do your repair
put it back in place
no more worry's
or you can cut it out and glue or screw the piece back in by glue a piece to the inside an then glue or screw your panel back on to it
them run caulking around the seam to seal it up
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
If you needed a smaller hole in between the frame rails you could take some wood and make a picture frame of sorts around the hole splitting the wood between the existing edge and the opening, use drywall screws to attach the wood to the panel then put the piece you cutout back in the opening and screw that to the wood that overhangs, then tape edges with tape. The wood will help stiffen the opening where your cutout is and also lets you get back into that area if needed.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem on out T/T a few years back, I used a strip of galvanized pipe strap, from one side to the other secured with self tapping screws, and covered the actual "cut" with Gorilla Tape. Kept a check on it from time to time to make sure it was holding. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
kerrlakeroo has suggest an excellent way to reattach an inspection panel or repair opening.

Also you can tape the piece back into place using Gorilla Tmape.

And depending on the size and location it can work well here, personally I have used gorilla tape, but tend to worry about it when it is likely to be exposed to moisture or temperature extremes. It can be used well though between solid fasteners as a means of sealing between fasteners.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo has suggest an excellent way to reattach an inspection panel or repair opening.

Also you can tape the piece back into place using Gorilla Tape.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Drill driver pushing self tapping screws with washers into the frames.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No but I could help you cut yours. I have a chainsaw.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad