cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tripod stabilizer

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who use tripod stabilizers, do you find it makes the inside feel less "shaky" when multiple people are in the camper?

Background on this, 2 weeks ago we were boondocking and had some friends staying on the bunks in the garage area of our 5th wheel toyhauler. When they moved around it shook the trailer pretty well up front where we were in the bedroom. It was 2 people, and neither is a heavy person, and it was just normal walking around, getting in/out of bed etc. We were parked in a dirt field, and have electronic leveling system, no other stabilizers.

I was thinking maybe a tripod might help things be a bit more stable so movements in the back don't rattle around the front so much. But... maybe not. Thoughts?
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
23 REPLIES 23

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
JT Strongarms for me.
magic43

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We had a tripod and it worked so-so. Better than not having anything. what really helped the most is the JT Strongarms I installed. Since I installed them I ditched the tripod stand.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I used the aluminum telescoping legs from a 5K capacity OSHA deadman tripod and built a head that fits snuggly around the king pin. I put most of the front weight of the trailer on the tripod and not so much weight on the front legs. My rear stabilizers are very sturdy and the combination of everything makes my trailer rock solid. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
As I have said before because we sit for 6 months each winter we have the JT's and before installing them we had scrissor jacks installed just in front of the front tires. Plus the wind is not an issue for us.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well spend your money wisely, tripods cost $125 to $150, and donโ€™t work very well!
You can get JT Strongarms for about $225, well worth the extra $100!
PPL Morton Homes JT Strongarms
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Jump on the bandwagon, buy one, use one and sell one.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We use a combination of Andersen Jack Blocks, Steadyfast Stabilizers, and a BAL kingpin tripod stabilizer. The trailer is now vastly more stabile.

The Jack Blocks allow us to level without extending the jack arms as much. This decreases the lever arm effect so there is less arm to deflect.

The Steadyfast is noticeable more so in the main room. While the rest of the trailer is much more stabile, I could still feel the rocking and rolling in the master bedroom.

The BAL kingpin tripod stabilizer has made a HUGE difference In stabilizing the master bedroom.
I suspect it is because of how much the master overhangs. The tripod stabilizer adds the sorely needed support.

We have triplet 8 yr old boys that run and jump. It no longer feels like weโ€™re inside an old airplane in heavy turbulence.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a rubber bushed pin box such as a Mor-Ryde, a tripod isn't much help, a non-bushed pin box works well, at least that has been my experience.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Had one, still have it. It's a memento and has been in the shed for more than a decade. I installed the steadyfast system and they work very well on my 35 ft 5er.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We used one for 10years. Definitely helped. We had a 31 ft. cameo with the Big Foo I had t hyd. Stabilizers. Stabilizer helped. It only had 4 legs. Now we have a Beacon from Van Leigh. It has 6 legs. We donโ€™t need the stabilizer any more
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! I'll look into those StrongArms, they look interesting. Of course the better option is the more expensive one ๐Ÿ™‚

And yes, our rear stabilizer is just past the rear tires. The trailer still extends pretty far beyond there so it does make sense why it would move like it did when there's people back there. We don't often have people staying with us so that's good at least.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The pin stabilizer will only stabilize side to side motion at the trailers front and does nothing for the rear.

Since '03 I've used a aluminum bipod pin stabilizer that stops side to side movement up there. For the rear I use BAL telescoping stabilizer which stops all movement back there.

I use adjustable chocks between the tires that eliminate fore and aft movement.

Or JTs or other brands types work just as good.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
Only ones that like em havent used a good chassis stabilizer like Steadyfast or JT Strongarm

This is the way to go! We have the JT's and they are great.

PPL MH JT Strongarms

JT Strongarms Amazon
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
When I use my tri-pod, I drop the front of the trailer down and load the tri-pod. It makes a different when moving around in front, a little when moving around in the rear of the trailer. If I adjust my Strongarms per the instructions and use my tripod, my trailer is very stable.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo