cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyron Flat Tire Protection????

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased new fifth wheel RV. Dealer Business Manager is trying to sell the usual stuff i.e. extended service package, Tire Road Hazard protection, etc. Another item is Tyron Flat Tire Protection. This protection consists of a steel strap around the wheel inside the tire. The idea is that if a flat tire occurs the device keeps the tire from seperating from the wheel thereby avoiding damage to the wheel and the fender area by the tire. Has anyone had experience with this device? I would like to hear your feedback. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used motor home that had them. When I installed new tires, I left them off and sold them on ebay. If you do have them, I would suggest you have the proper tools to remove and install them if you have a blowout.
I saw a travel trailer yesterday that had a spare tire rack on the back. The spare tire was shredded, the only thing left was about 1/2 of the side walls.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Air Boss, I agree with the others, replace the tires with a good tire as soon as you can; put the ones that came with the FW on Craigslist and you should recover a good portion. If you have 16" rims, go with a good LT tire or, if you've got a heavy FW, with an even heavier G or H rated tire; just make sure your rims are rated for 100+ psi. Also, make sure that any tires you get, now or in the future, are fresh. There is a date code on all tires and make sure you tell the dealer that you don't want tires more than 6 months old, if that. Using Search on here is your friend, and you'll find dozens of threads about tires. If you also post more details about your FW and truck, you'll also get more info right up front.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Coach-man wrote:
rickeoni wrote:
I looked at their website, all I can say is you were sold a product that was misrepresented by the dealer. The strap is marketed as a product to prevent the tire from seperating from the rim after a blowout, not to prevent a blowout. It looks like a product designed for an off road vehicle and not an RV trailer.

X2, it did as stated, it kept the side walls firmly attached to the rim! The tread however, disintegrated and caused all the damage. Running low tire pressure on an off road trail, the Tyron product would be helpful. Kind of like an internal bead lock, not for RV's!!

I seriously doubt that you would have lost the tire off the rim; you usually only see that when you try and turn with a flat and the tire rolls off the bead. I can certainly see how it would work on low-pressure off-road tires, but not on a tire that's most likely at 65+ lbs psi and running virtually straight-line. A total b.s. money-waster for RVs, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Another new thing to get out money. I agree, just install quality tires before you leave town. In my 13 years of pulling a RV Ive only had one flat, and I was going through a town, and got warned by another driver. I've always installed either Michelin or Maxis tires. Also watch their age. Much less money then the system they are trying to sell you.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one blowout I have experienced left the two sidewalls still attached to the rim and the tread was gone. I did not have anything like the Tyron device. Have seen the same results many times as a fleet tech. Sounds like that dealer is doing a lot of upselling, which I don't like.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
rickeoni wrote:
I looked at their website, all I can say is you were sold a product that was misrepresented by the dealer. The strap is marketed as a product to prevent the tire from seperating from the rim after a blowout, not to prevent a blowout. It looks like a product designed for an off road vehicle and not an RV trailer.

X2, it did as stated, it kept the side walls firmly attached to the rim! The tread however, disintegrated and caused all the damage. Running low tire pressure on an off road trail, the Tyron product would be helpful. Kind of like an internal bead lock, not for RV's!!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run don't walk. Myself I would reconsider the whole deal if they started pushing this junk on me.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Air_Boss
Explorer
Explorer
To: azjeffh---"What brand/size tire is on your trailer?" Good question. Didn't look for the numbers except to find Load range E 10 ply. Made in China.
To: Coach-man---Thank you for your feedback and recommendation.
To: gbopp---"What are they charging you for them?" $1,295.00.
Thanks for you responses.
Merry Christmas!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of Tyron. What are they charging you for them?
If you don't have a tire pressure monitoring system, that may be a better choice. Just my opinion.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I unfortunately bought that Tyron thing when I purchased my 5th wheel! I recently had a blow out from the cheap Chinese tires that came with the RV! Not only did I have $3K in damage to the RV, but they charged me extra to replace the tires because the Tyron system was such a problem to un mount the tires! To me it was a complete waste of money, I would not recommend it to anyone!!!!

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Better to invest in quality tires than band aids. What brand/size tire is on your trailer?
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA