cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water tank size.... What would you do?

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a new 2019 Avalanche 321RS last month. Finally got to take it out for the weekend this past weekend. The website,brochure RV Dealers and everything states it has a 66 gallon fresh water tank. When we ran out of water in two days I questioned that. So with two different water meters I checked the size of the tank. It's ONLY 40 gallon... Needless to say I'm not happy about this. I have contacted my dealer who contacted Keystone and was told that if you add the size of the water tank and hot water heater you have 54 gallon. I said I only have 40 gallon of usable water. I wouldn't have bought it if I had know that it would only hold 40 gallon. I said something needs to be done because I'm not happy! Just found all this out today so I'm waiting to hear back.. What would you do??? Thanks
47 REPLIES 47

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
Since there was unused space in the under frame area, I installed an additional 42g tank. A bit of work, but worth the effort.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
i had a simu;ar issure, was suposed to be a 40 gal tank but I could only get 25 in. when I found was a big sag in the vent line so when I was filling it, a water lock in the vent would stop the air release and the tank would puke making me think it was full.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

RubyMountainHig
Explorer
Explorer
I had doubts on my old TT capacity. Filled it until overflowed. Drained it into 5 gallon bucket. 16 buckets later, sure as shoot, 80 gallons!! proven method of measure ๐Ÿ™‚

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
thnx

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
how did he determine the tank was actually full. That was my question. did the water run out the over fill??

While using his meter he said he filled it till it flowed out the overflow. Thats how he came up with 40 gal.
So either his tanks not draining completely or it is in fact a 40 gal.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
how did he determine the tank was actually full. That was my question. did the water run out the over fill??

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
maddog348 wrote:
40 gallons to absolute 'running over' full OR Full when the gauge light turns green. We can actually see the water in the tank ~bi-level~ holds quite a bit after the light goes on.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

OP stated that he metered filling his system, twice, with 2 different meters; didn't just rely on the lights.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
40 gallons to absolute 'running over' full OR Full when the gauge light turns green. We can actually see the water in the tank ~bi-level~ holds quite a bit after the light goes on.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I can be forgiving of honest mistakes. However, 20% off on such an important variable is unacceptable to me. Not that it would matter if you didn't, but did you specifically discuss water capacity with the dealership?

At the very least, I would accept the dealer paying for a water bladder and any necessary pump system mods.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rwake901 wrote:
So you think 10 gallons per person per day is too much?
How long do you expect to go with the on board water system?

If you use 20 gallons per day and expect to go a week I would be looking for an RV with 140-200 gallon supply and waste tanks to match.

We have made 10 days on our rated 50 gallon tank (unverified). This is three of us using the camp facilities to shower and restroom during the day.

I don't think you are going to get very far with the manufacturer with the change of specifications. We can possibly give ideas on conservation or adding additional capacity but it will be up to you to press the issue with the dealer or RV manufacturer.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Rwake901 wrote:

So how did this go from the manufacturer misrepresentation of the size of their fresh water tank to I use too much water?? The amount of water we use is irrelevant here. This is about being lied to by the manufacturer not how much water we use.

ABSOLUTELY!!! :M

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:

So how did this go from the manufacturer misrepresentation of the size of their fresh water tank to I use too much water?? The amount of water we use is irrelevant here. This is about being lied to by the manufacturer not how much water we use.

X2.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
time2roll wrote:
bpounds wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Another 20 gals. would only extend your camping by one day...
You obviously don't boondock much.
That is the point. If 40 gallons gets the OP two days then the 60 gallon spec only goes three days.
Need more conservation.
Thank you. Good to see others have the same idea.

B.O.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
bpounds wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Another 20 gals. would only extend your camping by one day...
You obviously don't boondock much.
That is the point. If 40 gallons gets the OP two days then the 60 gallon spec only goes three days.
Need more conservation.
Thank you. Good to see others have the same idea.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS