cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

waxing

joe_puma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm picking up my first fiver, and the dealer is offering a no wax coating to protect the finish. It's $1800. Anyone ever try any of these product? Would you recommend doing it or skipping it?
21 REPLIES 21

The_Weekenders
Explorer
Explorer
Once a year with Meguires Boat and RV wax is what I use. Works great!
Every meal is a feast, everyday is a parade and every paycheck is a fortune!
Spring is coming soon as well Minnesota Twins spring training๐Ÿ˜›
Rick & Sheila's RVing Album
Rick's Facebook
2004 Ford F350 6.0PSD
2008 Keystone Montana 3585SA

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
For the folks saying it is insurance that may be BUT many manufacturers are covering the cap fade issue long after warranty is over. Good to have another option but in some cases it is duplicated coverage.

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
Things that make you hummm. I too bought into the "Protection Plan" when we bought or coach. Within 2 years the front and rear cap faded. I contacted the company and they paid the body shop of my choise over $2500 for the work to repaint the front and rear caps. Since then I have noticed there are LOTS of RVs out there that have the same issue. I believe it was a flaw in the manufacturing process that caused the cap to fade and no amount of wax would have prevented it. I have not waxed my coach in the time we have owned it. I do keep it clean and I get complements on the appearance of our coach as it still looks new. All of the graphics are in great shape with no peeling whatsoever. The protection package coverage excludes decals however, I believe the product has also helped prevent the decals from peeling. We are returning to the Dealership where we bought the RV this Spring to have another treatment applied and protect us for another 3 years. BTW, this reapplication is part of the plan we have already paid for so no out of pocket expense to us. The dealership claims "It will look like new again" when they are done with it. I hope they can get rid of my "Idaho Pin-stripping" (got to close to the trees) I have been VERY happy with the decision to invest in this protection package.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

donut_slayer
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you get some good polymer sealant, your choice, and pay the neighbor highschool kids $10 per foot to wax the camper? High school kids always looking for a buck. Just watch them and make them do it right. 33' 5th wheel would cost $330 labor. Just a thought.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Did they offer undercoating as well? SCAM, money in the pockets of the dealer! If your concerned, @200 will buy a good wash and wax that will last at least a year, divided that into $1,800 how many years is that? And do you really thank after all those years it will look as good as the $200 wash and wax? Just saying!

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
A little different perspective here from someone who "bought" the pitch, thinking I could go five years without applying wax.

A little postmortem research confirms most of what was said here. It is a polymer finish, which does last longer than wax. But it will not protect your finish for five years. It is essentially an insurance policy.

My fiver is usually parked with the front cap facing the afternoon Florida sun. After about 14 months, I noticed the paint beginning to fade. I took pictures and sent them to Caltex, who was the service/product provider. I got repair estimates ($3000 to repaint, redecal the front cap). To their credit, they sent me a check right away, even though I expected a hassle.

Since it took six weeks to repair (most of that time waiting on decals from Forest River) I asked the body shop manager for advice. His advice, wax it yourself at least once per year. I will probably put on a second coat in the fall, and then go to once per year.

Bottom line, spend $20 on Nufinish, or some similar product, about six hours of labor, and save the $1800, plus the hassle of getting it repainted.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

donut_slayer
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use this stuff called "liquid glass" and it worked great.But it was tough putting on and had to have arms like the hulk to take it off.

donut_slayer
Explorer
Explorer
I guess, but I have used mine in direct sunlight. As long as it dosent get wet It seems to stick just fine. Get mud on my truck and it (mud) rinses right off.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you have to park under cover for a day or so when applying Rejex? I bought a bottle to try till I read that. Went with Starbright.

Guess any of these sealers/polishes would be "no wax". Would think you could find an auto detailer that would do the job for less then $1800, maybe you'd have to provide the sealer/polish.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

donut_slayer
Explorer
Explorer
I use rejex on my 5th wheel. Eazy on eazy off and lasts 6 months. Def keeps the bugs from sticking to the front cap. Rejex costs under $20 and I do the bottom half and my son 6'4" does the upper. We can do the 33'5th wheel in less than a day with plenty of Gatorade breaks. Even does the glass where you don't need rain-x. Love the stuff.

SH
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO, NO, NO!!! They use a polymer coating that is the same as Rejex, Simoniz Ice or Nu Finish. It will not last 5 years..You can do your own for under $20.00. For the inside they will spray a can or 2 of Scotchguard...If they really start to push I would buy from a different dealer...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a high quality wax and apply - or pay a pro.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Pure profit for the dealer. Skip it.