cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weekend Warrior woes

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to make this as short as possible. Last Oct 2013 I had a neighbor that moves trailers between his daughters (General manager) RV dealerships come over to see if I was interested in looking at a toyhauler he was bringing down for the fall rv show. He informed me they had sent it up to a fairly remote branch in 2010. He offered to bring it by in a couple days for us to see, I said sure why not. I get home and see this monster of a trailer in his driveway. Its was a magnificent 2007 Weekend Warrior SLC3905, we looked, we liked...alot. Looks like its brand new, 65hrs on generator, says he'll find out bottom dollar as they really want to get it off their books. I do a little web searching and find average price, options, things like that. They had it listed for $29,900, on the high price side but we're in Canada so expect a higher price. They come back with bottom dollar of $19,900 if they don't have to set it up at the rv show. WOW we thought so off we went to look again, found a couple little things needing attention and did the deal. They said we'll have it ready in 3 days. Went and picked it up, they had gone through and found a few other things I didn't see and fixed them up. Did the pdi check list and they showed us how everything worked. Hooked up and off I went to park it for the winter which arrived a week later. Fast forward to May 2014 load up for first trip, very excited! Checked weight at scale, over the 15,000 lbs by 260lbs not bad I think can easily move that to truck. During the weekend I notice a small bulge and crack on bottom of the wall just behind the wheel well. Then I check outside under wheel well and find the plastic fender liner bulged out and filled with silicon. WTH I think and when I get home I start searching the web. Class action lawsuit, bankruptcy, sagging walls, water damage. The excitement was gone as I researched how to fix the walls, found pics and contacted SoCal rv doc for advice. Talked to dealer service manager and explained the problem, he'd never heard of it. Booked in for them to have a look next week but I'm not expecting any compensation but would be nice. I also bought a extended warranty for $3500 but checked in fine print, frame and structural exempt. Love the trailer, got a good price and will repair it immediately. I find it hard to believe the dealership that had possession of it for at least 3 yrs never noticed the problem. If they had disclosed it, I might have still bought it at that price but could have had it repaired over the long winter. What do think, should I try to pressure the dealer for some compensation or just chalk it up as another learning experience. So much for keeping it short...sorry.
10 REPLIES 10

Y-Guy
I'd be inclined to spend a few bucks for a banner, park the trailer with said banner near the entrance (on public roads) and let the buying public know that they knowingly sold you a defective RV and the GM doesn't even have the courtesy to talk with you... Just a thought.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Trailer went to dealer last week, showed the service manager my concerns and showed him the jump test. He seemed truly concerned and thought the trailer should have never been sold with the structural problem. Said GM was away but he took pictures and said he would do some research on the issue. Well went back in to see what they were willing to do to help. GM wouldn't even come out to talk to me, service manager did and was ashamed of the GM. She told him I knew what I was getting into for that low price and she didn't want to see that trailer again. Well I guess I know where I won't be recommending any I know where to go get a trailer and will be paying the $50 deductible to another dealer for any extended warranty work. Repair project begins in 3 weeks!

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to send a big thanks out to Jim at SoCal for taking the time to give me a call and explain a few tips to get me on the right track for the repairs. If I'm ever in the area lunch is on me.

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
I just can't figure this picture thing out on here.

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
Milkman670 wrote:
Talked to dealer service manager and explained the problem, he'd never heard of it. Booked in for them to have a look next week but I'm not expecting any compensation but would be nice. What do think, should I try to pressure the dealer for some compensation or just chalk it up as another learning experience. So much for keeping it short...sorry.

My opinion, do NOT have anyone that is not extremely familiar with this exact problem on the WW do any work for you on it. Check for other owner references that have had this same frame/wall upgrade done by who ever you choose to fix it.

I know its a long way to go for you, but still my choice would be South Cal RV Doctor. They have done hundreds. Jim the manager there was the manager at the WW plant for years. They have a jig for the frame just to do this fix. The amount of frame/wall upgrades they do to each unit is amazing. They did mine and it wasn't cheap, but the quality work they did was well worth it to me, and I'm a cheap mofo.
Have seen other WW done by other shops that still have the same problems a little while latter. Mine has been years now and still not a problem.

Maybe get the repair and invoice from SCal RV DR, and try to submit it to your dealer and see if they will help..$ ?

That is a very nice TH, get it fixed right and enjoy it.

jmo

Yes that would be my first choice but I just don't think I can swing the 3000 mi round trip, and then go back to get it to bring back home.
I have e-mailed Jim about the procedure but he understandably says all trailers are a little different for the fix and kinda a trade secret but suggested to contact guys on the blogs for pictures of their fixes that could help. I think I caught it early as none of the outrigggers are bent yet and everything but the wheel well is still square. I have an appointment on the 5th with the dealer so I will wait to start anything until after that meeting. In the meantime I have been measuring and planning what I need for worst case scenario. I plan on doing a axle relocate to under the spring while I have it in the air as I have no box clearance.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Milkman670 wrote:
Talked to dealer service manager and explained the problem, he'd never heard of it. Booked in for them to have a look next week but I'm not expecting any compensation but would be nice. What do think, should I try to pressure the dealer for some compensation or just chalk it up as another learning experience. So much for keeping it short...sorry.

My opinion, do NOT have anyone that is not extremely familiar with this exact problem on the WW do any work for you on it. Check for other owner references that have had this same frame/wall upgrade done by who ever you choose to fix it.

I know its a long way to go for you, but still my choice would be South Cal RV Doctor. They have done hundreds. Jim the manager there was the manager at the WW plant for years. They have a jig for the frame just to do this fix. The amount of frame/wall upgrades they do to each unit is amazing. They did mine and it wasn't cheap, but the quality work they did was well worth it to me, and I'm a cheap mofo.
Have seen other WW done by other shops that still have the same problems a little while latter. Mine has been years now and still not a problem.

Maybe get the repair and invoice from SCal RV DR, and try to submit it to your dealer and see if they will help..$ ?

That is a very nice TH, get it fixed right and enjoy it.

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

havasuduner
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing just about a month and a half ago. I didn't do any research but wanted it bad cuz it was so clean and big. Well, after that I do the research and then tackled it myself. Not sure how well the fix was, as I didn't notice how bad it was before I did the work. Still a little concerned, but still love the trailer too and can't wait to use it more. I think they are nice units. As a few people have pointed out, they ALL have their issues, the WW seems more prominent because there is probably 5 6 7 8 times more of these units on the road then any other trailer?? Get it professionally fixed and enjoy it.

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain.... Just starting to repair the leak damage on my 05 Desert Fox, was quoted $6,000 to repair at the dealer... No warranty and insurance doesn't cover it...

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
If you havent done so, check roof with fine tooth comb and seal any cracks. I feel your pain , rebuilding a fun runner right now with water damage. Sure takes the wind out of your sails but anything can be fixed. Fix it up and go enjoy it ๐Ÿ™‚
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

Macs_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Milkman670 wrote:
I will try to make this as short as possible. Last Oct 2013 I had a neighbor that moves trailers between his daughters (General manager) RV dealerships come over to see if I was interested in looking at a toyhauler he was bringing down for the fall rv show. He informed me they had sent it up to a fairly remote branch in 2010. He offered to bring it by in a couple days for us to see, I said sure why not. I get home and see this monster of a trailer in his driveway. Its was a magnificent 2007 Weekend Warrior SLC3905, we looked, we liked...alot. Looks like its brand new, 65hrs on generator, says he'll find out bottom dollar as they really want to get it off their books. I do a little web searching and find average price, options, things like that. They had it listed for $29,900, on the high price side but we're in Canada so expect a higher price. They come back with bottom dollar of $19,900 if they don't have to set it up at the rv show. WOW we thought so off we went to look again, found a couple little things needing attention and did the deal. They said we'll have it ready in 3 days. Went and picked it up, they had gone through and found a few other things I didn't see and fixed them up. Did the pdi check list and they showed us how everything worked. Hooked up and off I went to park it for the winter which arrived a week later. Fast forward to May 2014 load up for first trip, very excited! Checked weight at scale, over the 15,000 lbs by 260lbs not bad I think can easily move that to truck. During the weekend I notice a small bulge and crack on bottom of the wall just behind the wheel well. Then I check outside under wheel well and find the plastic fender liner bulged out and filled with silicon. WTH I think and when I get home I start searching the web. Class action lawsuit, bankruptcy, sagging walls, water damage. The excitement was gone as I researched how to fix the walls, found pics and contacted SoCal rv doc for advice. Talked to dealer service manager and explained the problem, he'd never heard of it. Booked in for them to have a look next week but I'm not expecting any compensation but would be nice. I also bought a extended warranty for $3500 but checked in fine print, frame and structural exempt. Love the trailer, got a good price and will repair it immediately. I find it hard to believe the dealership that had possession of it for at least 3 yrs never noticed the problem. If they had disclosed it, I might have still bought it at that price but could have had it repaired over the long winter. What do think, should I try to pressure the dealer for some compensation or just chalk it up as another learning experience. So much for keeping it short...sorry.

Not sure about the dealer and thier reputation but if they did have it for 3 years or for any time period at all they would be aware of the issue's with WW's and should of addressed it. They might just of wanted to make what they could off it as well. WW walls sagging has been an issue that has been well know by a lot of people and dealers who have had and still have them.I would maybe at least give them a shot to fix it. Print up all the issues from post on web sites includeing this one with dates on them showing how far they go back and tell them they had to of heard of the issue and see what they say at least.
2007 Weekend Warrior SL2805
20505 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.0/410 Gasser
2008 Polaris RZR 800 With +6 Long Travel
2012 Kawasaki KX 250F
1990 Kawasaki JS 550 Jet Ski