cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Westlake Tires ??

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a purchase of a 16k 5er that comes with Westlake G tires. Anyway me have experience with these? I’m trying to decide if I should run with them, or immediately replace with Sailuns. I’ve had Sailuns for the last few years on a 14k 5er and been very happy with them.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ron
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK
34 REPLIES 34

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on my second year with my Westlake G rated tires. I was skeptical at first but the more I read the better I feel. They aren't as popular as Sailuns but seem to be working out just fine. Mine balanced out ok, don't leak even when in storage for a couple months and have all steel construction similar to the highly touted Sailun tire. When I replace them in a couple years I'll probably go with something else, but we'll see what comes along.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't closed the deal on the new 5er yet, have the dealer replace the tires with a new set of Sailuns at no cost to you. The dealer wants to make the sale and most likely will accommodate your request.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
Some of the old timers are just stuck in a time warp:S (see above)you "China Bomb" boys go ahead and blow your money on the Goodyear G614's and most of us will take the Saliun's any day including me for 2 years of fulltiming with them with a 40ft 15.5 K 5er with ZERO problems over alot of bad roads and they are a proven winner over the years for WAY less money, newer Montana 5ers(not the High Country's) have the Saliuns G rated 14 ply's as standard tires and the newer Grand Designs Solitude uses the Westlake G's as they use to have the Westlake 10 ply E rated that were not up to the job and I have talked to a lot of these owners in my travels and have not heard a complaint about either one of these G rated 14 ply tires

Sorry, but the Sailuns are a far cry from the China bombs mentioned! I think the recommendation was for the OP to change to Sailuns from Westlakes. That would be my thought or opinion also.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
All - thanks for the feedback.

Note the original post - I was looking for *experience* with *Westlake* *G* tires. The comments leave me where I started, a little concerned based on non-G past issues but not really any directly applicable problems per se. Although this isn’t the wealth of POSITIVE experience that would eliminate my concerns, it also isn’t directly related negative experiences.

While I’d prefer Sailun Gs, I believe Westlake Gs are probably OK too just not lots of run time to compare. Still the G construction is probably the germane issue here. Given that, and that I run with TPMS, I think there are probably larger issues to worry about. Unless I get the Sailun Gs for next to nothing, I think I’ll run the Westlake Gs and be happy. In 4-5yrs I’ll have some actual experience to relate 🙂

Moderator - please close this thread as some recent posts have moved from objectively discussing to putting others down, not what I intended nor what I enjoy on this forum.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron & Pat

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
Most E tires are rated at 65 mph and 3000#'ish. MOST un-knowing users cruise along at 70-75 MPH and overload axles.. So, those tires are red-lined their entire life and eventually disintegrate.

Either way, if the USER understands the limitations of the Product and runs by those limitations they will be fine. There are SOOOO many factors involved in tire issues that nobody ever brings up other than "China bombs". Which for some reason as stated multiple times in this thread, leads people to going out and spending well earned $$$ to replace something that simply does not need replacing.

He has G rated tires that are more than capable of the job, yet many people suggest replacing them due to mfg name, based on past experience with a lower-rated tire.

That's the point.
The user understanding the limitations of the product make little difference if it is a shoddy product to begin with. Most "E" rated ST tires are rated over 3,400 lbs. Using them on an axle carrying between 2,500 and 3,000 lbs. per tire should be a nobrainer. Unfortunately that's not the issue since the tires are substandard to begin with.

I'm not sure where you get your information about "MOST un-knowing users cruise along at 70-75 MPH and overload axles". Is this first-hand knowledge gotten from checking speeds, tires, and taking polls? Or just making it up out of whole cloth to support your argument? Generally speaking, your argument tends to not be supported by facts posted on this forum, and some others.

As I mentioned way back, I've heard good things about Westlake "G" rated tires and would run them unless I had problems with them.

I guess my comments are as easy to fact check as yours in regards to the decrease in tire blowouts since 2010 but I don’t care to ask for your sources.. at any rate you can’t seem to get past my comment in regards to running any equipment at or over its limits is susceptible to blow. Case in point is my patience with you and this conversation.

If the OP had asked about G rated tires then the answers would all be different. But because certain people saw “Westlake's” the automatically associated those tires as China bombs which in my OPINION was unwarranted.

Adios amigos.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
SabreCanuck wrote:
Most E tires are rated at 65 mph and 3000#'ish. MOST un-knowing users cruise along at 70-75 MPH and overload axles.. So, those tires are red-lined their entire life and eventually disintegrate.

Either way, if the USER understands the limitations of the Product and runs by those limitations they will be fine. There are SOOOO many factors involved in tire issues that nobody ever brings up other than "China bombs". Which for some reason as stated multiple times in this thread, leads people to going out and spending well earned $$$ to replace something that simply does not need replacing.

He has G rated tires that are more than capable of the job, yet many people suggest replacing them due to mfg name, based on past experience with a lower-rated tire.

That's the point.
The user understanding the limitations of the product make little difference if it is a shoddy product to begin with. Most "E" rated ST tires are rated over 3,400 lbs. Using them on an axle carrying between 2,500 and 3,000 lbs. per tire should be a nobrainer. Unfortunately that's not the issue since the tires are substandard to begin with.

I'm not sure where you get your information about "MOST un-knowing users cruise along at 70-75 MPH and overload axles". Is this first-hand knowledge gotten from checking speeds, tires, and taking polls? Or just making it up out of whole cloth to support your argument? Generally speaking, your argument tends to not be supported by facts posted on this forum, and some others.

As I mentioned way back, I've heard good things about Westlake "G" rated tires and would run them unless I had problems with them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
I think you are on the right track in your thought process and should just keep'em....
"G" rated is the key here not the company that makes them. G rated tire is rated above/beyond normal use on a fifth wheel while E rated tires are usually maxed out for speed/Weight but folks still run'em at 75 mph. MOST of the negativity on the china bombs don't realise or mention they are replacing those oh-so crappy E rated tire with a G rated tire and blaming the company that makes them. It's like running your truck in 2nd gear, red-line RPM all day and blame the MFG when she blows?
Sorry, I don't buy into that. It's more like running your truck in 5th gear at 3,000 rpm, when it's rated at 5,000 rpm redline, and the engine blows up with no warning.

These so-called "China bombs" have rightfully earned that sobriquet. There has been a definite downward trend in the number of blow-outs and unexpected flat tires involving Chinese made tires in the last few years. The numbers were very high in the early 2010's, and now, not so much. I doubt very much that the driving habits have changed, I tend to think the improvements center around those round black donuts.

That's the point.
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
SabreCanuck wrote:
I think you are on the right track in your thought process and should just keep'em....
"G" rated is the key here not the company that makes them. G rated tire is rated above/beyond normal use on a fifth wheel while E rated tires are usually maxed out for speed/Weight but folks still run'em at 75 mph. MOST of the negativity on the china bombs don't realise or mention they are replacing those oh-so crappy E rated tire with a G rated tire and blaming the company that makes them. It's like running your truck in 2nd gear, red-line RPM all day and blame the MFG when she blows?
Sorry, I don't buy into that. It's more like running your truck in 5th gear at 3,000 rpm, when it's rated at 5,000 rpm redline, and the engine blows up with no warning.

These so-called "China bombs" have rightfully earned that sobriquet. There has been a definite downward trend in the number of blow-outs and unexpected flat tires involving Chinese made tires in the last few years. The numbers were very high in the early 2010's, and now, not so much. I doubt very much that the driving habits have changed, I tend to think the improvements center around those round black donuts.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
EXACTLY!! that is the correct response it is a NOT a Made in China problem it is that E rated 10 ply ANY brand is not the right tool for the job for heavier 5er's period... I have run made in China tires on my Dually truck and cars for Many years with zero problems
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We used them on our 2015 337RL Reflection for 3 seasons before changing to Sailun. We had no problems at all. We always checked tire pressure and we don't drive over 63mph. And we had been to Utah one year and next to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone in Wyoming. Only reason we changed was we had a lot of miles on them. We bought a new 2017 27 RL Reflection this past Dec. and when comes time to change we are going with Goodyear Endurance. I wouldn't spend the money on tires till you need them. Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of quality (and more expensive) tires made in China, besides the cheap ones people obsess about.

The last 6-8 years we have been getting some very good 16" load G ST and some LT commercial grade tire with all steel ply carcass. Nothing like the run of the mill ST E poly carcass tires. Apples vs pickles.
The 16" ST load G Westlake dealer adds say a all steel ply carcass so if thats true keep them pumped to the max and enjoy long term mileage.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks topjimmy. Yes, I am specifically interested in G experience. Experience with similar brands on E or D tires won’t necessarily translate to G tires. If you only air up your tires to 80psi or less, you don’t have G tires.

As stated, my experience with Sailun Gs is very good. I haven’t heard of any bad experiences with Westlake Gs, but am also concerned they don’t have deep track record. Appreciate the applicable feedback so far, haven’t heard of any bad experiences with Westlake Gs...but still looking...
Ron & Pat

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
Yep replace. Better to be safe than sorry with china pops. I replaced mine right after I bought our camper.
I doubt your Rockwood came with G rated 14 ply Westlakes or Sailuns and the OP was asking about those tires which alot of us folks with heavier 5ers have experience with including me and they are up to the Job Made in China or not
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner