cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a mess, I broke my truck...

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
We were heading home after spending a fantastic month in Florida... About midnight we were just through Knoxville, TN... on I-75, we were running about 65 mph, pulling up a pretty good grade... I thought my transmission blew! We were stranded on the side of the road...

A call to Good Sam Roadside Assistance, we were towed to a Walmart parking lot, and told us they would send a wrecker in the morning to tow us to a repair facility. They even called Walmart and made arrangements about spending the evening there... and got permission for the 5th Wheel to stay while we had our Truck repaired... They were back in the morning and loaded it on flatbed as promised...

After they tore down the truck... actually the transmission was fine, the flywheel let loose! Being stranded for 5 or 6 days, we rented a car to get around. We found a KOA campground close to the 5th Wheel, and ask them if they knew anyone we could call to move our 5th Wheel to their campground. They had us moved in less than 2 hours, thanks to one of the employees friend who was camping there. No only did they move it for us, the good samaritan would not even take any kind of payment for moving it...

My Thanks to... Good Sam Roadside Assistance... Clinton / Knoxville North KOA... Clinton, TN Walmart... and to the good samaritan who towed my 5th Wheel...
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member
34 REPLIES 34

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVman3252 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I probably missed it but is the truck an automatic? If so it is not a flywheel that was damaged. They are called a "fex plate". Also if increasing the engines output or upgrading the trans the FlexPlate should be an upgraded model able to handle the torque. If they are installing an OE unit you may have the same issues again. I would have one overnighted from BD.

It is an automatic... it sure looks like a flywheel? but it doesn't surprise me the renamed it to justify the big dollars... LOL. I am sure they put an OEM "flex plate" back in it... Oh well if I can get another 200,000 miles, it will be time to trade. LOL. but thanks for the information.

RVman / John

Yea that's a shame since most likely they charged the same as one rated to over 1,000 TQ.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I probably missed it but is the truck an automatic? If so it is not a flywheel that was damaged. They are called a "fex plate". Also if increasing the engines output or upgrading the trans the FlexPlate should be an upgraded model able to handle the torque. If they are installing an OE unit you may have the same issues again. I would have one overnighted from BD.

It is an automatic... it sure looks like a flywheel? but it doesn't surprise me the renamed it to justify the big dollars... LOL. I am sure they put an OEM "flex plate" back in it... Oh well if I can get another 200,000 miles, it will be time to trade. LOL. but thanks for the information.

RVman / John
RVman3252

Good Sam Life Member

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Have spent several,nights at that koa very nice folks.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

WileE_Coyote
Explorer
Explorer
THAT'S AWEFUL, BUT GLAD PEOPLE STEPPED IN TO HELP.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to hear the silver lining regarding that dark cloud. It is nice to hear these good stories. Hope you will be on the road soon.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
Keep us up to date with the truck fixing .Did they have parts in stock how long will take to fix it the cost of the repair.Good luck.

No the parts were not in stock, they had to be ordered from the RAM Parts Wharehouse in Atlanta, most of them came in on Friday, and there is 1 part which will be in this morning hopefully. If that part makes it by noon today, the repair shop feels they can have it done this afternoon... My fingers are crossed and prayers are being said...

RVman / John
RVman3252

Good Sam Life Member

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:
RVman3252:

For future reference, since your a member of GS Club.

You can go on the GS web site and find a list of volunteers in every state.

Once on their site go to community then "standby Sams" .

C.B.

Thanks! I guess I knew that, but when everything is happening, my mind was in a "tizzy" and I never even thought of it... ??

As far as pulling a grade at 65 mph, it was on "cruise" and not even searching for gears... the Cummins is a pulling machine... We were running with traffic, so it wasn't like I was racing... Thanks for the thoughts.

I thank the Lord, that no one got hurt through this fiasco, and thank all of those people and buisness that have helped us through this mess...

With any luck, the truck will be repaired today at the close of business and I will be back on the road... Thanks for all of the comments

RVman / John
RVman3252

Good Sam Life Member

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Keep us up to date with the truck fixing .Did they have parts in stock how long will take to fix it the cost of the repair.Good luck.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
RVman3252:

For future reference, since your a member of GS Club.

You can go on the GS web site and find a list of volunteers in every state.

Once on their site go to community then "standby Sams" .

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Wish there were more stories with happy endings and people helping others!!!
scott

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Op mentioned 2012 truck. Dual mass flywheel? You went 200k with a DMF? Buy a lottery ticket.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you had good luck getting competent help, and no one got hurt.

But seriously.....65 mph up that I-75 grade pulling a big 5er.... that's asking for trouble.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Shattered flywheels were one of the common complaints with the 2nd gen Cummins.
Doesn't happen all that often but it does happen.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler