cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to de-ice slide-outs

BDSUSA
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best way to de-ice slide-outs in below zero temps after freezing rain and/or snow?

We spend more time camping in freezing temps than we do in warm weather. We just upgraded our Arctic Fox travel trailer to an AF fifth wheel so we are new to the slide-out game.

I saw one tip about using the outdoor shower but I could almost guarantee that in -10 degree temps the water would freeze long before I ever get the slide-out retracted.

I have thought about using a quality windshield washer fluid that incorporates a de-icing chemical, as it is easy on paint and rubber parts. Dispersing the fluid, I would use a small hand pump pressurized sprayer like the type used on lawns and gardens.

I need a chemical or method that is not going to damage paint and seals.

Most bare-ground deicer fluids or granules have some type of chloride (salt) in them, which spells disaster for a slide-out. Aircraft de-icing fluid is cost prohibitive.
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking the tool that you would most likely have at hand would be a plastic windshield s****er. Carefully chip the ice loose.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
BDSUSA wrote:
We camp at 6,000 feet in October and November for about six weeks and it is NOT anywhere close to an improved campground, not even a USFS or BLM campground, let alone running water. We have no choice but to extend the slide-outs. The dealer, knowing our camping lifestyle, recommended that we NOT install the slide-out toppers, as the toppers would not help prevent the snow and/or ice from accumulating on the slide-out. Their recommendation was to sweep the snow off as often as possible but they had no solution for the ice. When it gets below zero, it is a whole new ball game.

Here's an idea. Get a heavy waterproof tarp and fold it so that it lays on the slide roof with a bit of upturn on the inner and outer sides and overhanging each end a bit. Either stake it down with bungees or ropes to the ground or go completely around the slide. When you get ready to go, s****e off any snow, unfasten the ties, pull the tarp off and bang it to lose the ice, fold it and stow it. If this is a regular deal for you, look at having some custom-made tarps that fit each specific slide.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BDSUSA
Explorer
Explorer
We camp at 6,000 feet in October and November for about six weeks and it is NOT anywhere close to an improved campground, not even a USFS or BLM campground, let alone running water. We have no choice but to extend the slide-outs. The dealer, knowing our camping lifestyle, recommended that we NOT install the slide-out toppers, as the toppers would not help prevent the snow and/or ice from accumulating on the slide-out. Their recommendation was to sweep the snow off as often as possible but they had no solution for the ice. When it gets below zero, it is a whole new ball game.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot imagine any reason to have the slides extended in that kind of weather.

I have to agree with D.E since it is 92 degrees and raining at 3 in the afternoon.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, sometimes I just can't be serious. Like today, it's not yet noon and I'm already dehydrated.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
*** Go To Florida, NOT North ***
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Snow on the slides happens to me every year. Most of the time it ices so sweeping is not very successful. It would depend on the temp but if you can get the park water unfrozen, I usually take the hose to the top of the slides. Its not easy and it takes a long time for the cold water to melt the ice but that has been the best solution I have found.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Actually slide toppers do help keeping ice, snow, debris...off the slide out top.

On our way to the Midwest in May of 2014 we stopped overnight in Cheyenne and woke up to a mess....snow and a lot of it.

Got up with my trusty sand rake to get the heavy wet snow off.

Was sure there would be damage to the slide toppers from all the weight but once all the snow and ice were off the slide toppers popped right back into place.

More photos.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
With the roofs being very thin on slide rooms I would think the ice/snow would melt off pretty quick but a slide topper would cause some problems for sure.
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Camp in Yuma? :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I think you answered your own question, BDSUSA, with a good idea. Prevention is the best way, like pulling the slides in before hand, but it's not always possible. With sub-zero temperatures, ice will be tough to deal with.

One year out in SD, I had seen campers' departures delayed waiting for the sun to come out and thaw things out a bit. And some were equipped with slide toppers. The toppers sagged with the accumulated rain water and froze to a block of ice overnight.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was caught in an ice storm about 200 miles from our destination a few years ago while in TX. We spent the night. In the morning everything on the north side of our trailer and truck was frozen and covered with ice. We started the truck with our remote start and let it run to thaw out the doors, then drove to Wally World. I purchase a garden tank sprayer, some windshield washer fluid and some isoprophyl alcohol. I added the alcohol to the washer fluid to increase its' melting ability. Sprayed all the rubber seals down and waited for them to loosen up enough to release from the sides so I could close them without tearing a seal. As I look back I probably should have just stayed another day and let nature warm them up for me..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Snow provides insulation, but slide out roofs are not insulated very well so it turns to ice pretty quickly. So I try to keep snow from building by simply brushing it off as needed...usually once a day when it is snowing.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We were caught in a TX icestorm two winters ago that left 2" of solid ice on everything. Shut down roads, campground, and everything for two days. Fortunately for us we didn't have slide-awnings as one camper had a mess with that. Even more fortunate for us was that we could just stay an extra couple days and the temperatures started to warm enough that escaping heat from camper started to melt enough that I could lift off large slabs of 2" thick ice. If I had to pull the slides in earlier I don't know what I would have done, but windshield washer deicer is probably my best guess.

I'd do my best to pull slides in before an icestorm in the future. Good luck!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK