cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's you remaining payload weights as configured?

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
I read through several pages of the Sticky at the top of the forum which was helpful.

We are looking for a new fifth wheel and a new tow vehicle. We are looking at small fifth wheels less than 30 feet. Most we find are less than 12,000 loaded. Looks like the estimated loaded pin weights range from 1650lbs to 2640lbs (assumed 22% of trailer GVWR).

Adding people, pets, fuel and junk to the truck, Iโ€™m adding about 570 pounds to the truck cargo, then about 220 pounds for the hitch, rails and adaptor.

All totaled worst case, I am looking at a total payload of 3430lbs. I have called several vehicle dealerships without success and used the โ€œBuild Your Ownโ€ sites for several vehicle manufacturers, but cannot find the actual available payload remaining after subtracting all of the package weights. Using what I have available, my old F-150 XLT 3.5L has a remaining payload capacity of 1871 pounds. My brother-in lawโ€™s new 6.7L diesel 4x4 F-250 has a remaining payload of 2671 pounds. I am trying to stay โ€œlegalโ€ in terms of payload weight, trailer weights and combined vehicle weights. Payload seems to be the biggest challenge.

I see the payload, GVWR and GCWR information in the Tow Guides, but canโ€™t figure out how to relate the builds to the Tow Guide and account for add on packages, like XLT package, hitch prep, running boards, camera packages, axle upgrades, etc. There are several options in the Tow Guides that will work for me, but canโ€™t backwards configure. Itโ€™s a lot of money to spend on each end if you canโ€™t figure out the correct configuration. Can anyone post or PM me with their builds and remaining payload for their TV?

Iโ€™m not tied to any particular truck brand, however not looking for diesel or 4x4 and prefer crew or super cab to regular cab to hold everyone and pets. Also single rear wheel and shortest wheelbase as possible.
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Scott M wrote:
I read through several pages of the Sticky at the top of the forum which was helpful.

We are looking for a new fifth wheel and a new tow vehicle. We are looking at small fifth wheels less than 30 feet. Most we find are less than 12,000 loaded. Looks like the estimated loaded pin weights range from 1650lbs to 2640lbs (assumed 22% of trailer GVWR).

Adding people, pets, fuel and junk to the truck, Iโ€™m adding about 570 pounds to the truck cargo, then about 220 pounds for the hitch, rails and adaptor.

All totaled worst case, I am looking at a total payload of 3430lbs. I have called several vehicle dealerships without success and used the โ€œBuild Your Ownโ€ sites for several vehicle manufacturers, but cannot find the actual available payload remaining after subtracting all of the package weights. Using what I have available, my old F-150 XLT 3.5L has a remaining payload capacity of 1871 pounds. My brother-in lawโ€™s new 6.7L diesel 4x4 F-250 has a remaining payload of 2671 pounds. I am trying to stay โ€œlegalโ€ in terms of payload weight, trailer weights and combined vehicle weights. Payload seems to be the biggest challenge.

I see the payload, GVWR and GCWR information in the Tow Guides, but canโ€™t figure out how to relate the builds to the Tow Guide and account for add on packages, like XLT package, hitch prep, running boards, camera packages, axle upgrades, etc. There are several options in the Tow Guides that will work for me, but canโ€™t backwards configure. Itโ€™s a lot of money to spend on each end if you canโ€™t figure out the correct configuration. Can anyone post or PM me with their builds and remaining payload for their TV?

Iโ€™m not tied to any particular truck brand, however not looking for diesel or 4x4 and prefer crew or super cab to regular cab to hold everyone and pets. Also single rear wheel and shortest wheelbase as possible.

Without reading ahead, IMO, just get a 350/3500 class truck, with SRW, and you're good up 14k GVW, especially if you're wanting to stay in the 30' range. That's a whole =lot= less "sail" to get pushed around by wind than even a 33-35', let alone a 40'. They're actually not that much more than a 250/2500 class truck and give you a =lot= more options as to size of FW you want to tow.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 160" wheelbase dually with 12K front and 21K rear rating.

Legal axle loading is 12K front and 20K rear = 32K

The truck weighs 15K so that would be...um... carry the nought ... 17000lbs payload.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For us things come in the door but none ever seem to leave.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
My 2020 Longhorn Ram 3500 w Crew Cab and long bed has a payload of 4156 lbs. My Cedar Creek weighs about 14,500 lb loaded which translates to 2900 lbs on the pin and that math works. So I have a 46 gallon aux tank that weighs 350 lbs full and a small capacity tool box.

So loaded ready to go i probably only about 3-400 lbs from max. So if you are buying a new truck at the very minimum get. 3500 payload even on a 350 or 3500 series truck w single rear wheel gets eaten up fast! And it costs so little extra to get a 3500 versus 2500 itโ€™s a no brainer.

Have you ever weighed your Truck and RV? 2,900 pin on 14,500# is exactly 20%. I am willing to bet your numbers in reality are different.

I think they would be different but I donโ€™t have the washer dryer in the front nor the Onan generator. So actually I think itโ€™s been running like 19% but I will check it again next spring before I leave. Plus my wife and I have been through a rigorous process of not having stuff on board the truck or the camper that we donโ€™t need and donโ€™t use. We have shed a lot of weight. I had stuff in there from two RVโ€™s ago.

Thanks

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
I have the Escapees Smart Weigh tickets on my truck and trailer. Fully loaded, we are 500# under the rear axle rating on the truck. All 3 axles on the trailer are under tire and axle ratings. Our pin weight is 21% of the trailer rating. The truck has an auxiliary 40-gallon fuel tank and Trailer Saver TS air ride hitch.

Do I want to need more truck? It would be nice, but the rig does a good job, and we are OK on the ratings.

Ken

That's a high pin weight percentage for a triple axle RV.

That is what it is.\\Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
I have the Escapees Smart Weigh tickets on my truck and trailer. Fully loaded, we are 500# under the rear axle rating on the truck. All 3 axles on the trailer are under tire and axle ratings. Our pin weight is 21% of the trailer rating. The truck has an auxiliary 40-gallon fuel tank and Trailer Saver TS air ride hitch.

Do I want to need more truck? It would be nice, but the rig does a good job, and we are OK on the ratings.

Ken

That's a high pin weight percentage for a triple axle RV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MikeRP wrote:
My 2020 Longhorn Ram 3500 w Crew Cab and long bed has a payload of 4156 lbs. My Cedar Creek weighs about 14,500 lb loaded which translates to 2900 lbs on the pin and that math works. So I have a 46 gallon aux tank that weighs 350 lbs full and a small capacity tool box.

So loaded ready to go i probably only about 3-400 lbs from max. So if you are buying a new truck at the very minimum get. 3500 payload even on a 350 or 3500 series truck w single rear wheel gets eaten up fast! And it costs so little extra to get a 3500 versus 2500 itโ€™s a no brainer.

Have you ever weighed your Truck and RV? 2,900 pin on 14,500# is exactly 20%. I am willing to bet your numbers in reality are different.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
350/3500 srw crew cab long beds 4wd diesel trucks with those big 4xxx lb gvwr based payloads if all placed in the bed over the trucks rear axle may overload the truck 7000 rawr. I've seen some owners of trucks this size say their truck unladin rear axle weight was in the 3400-3500 lbs range leaving 3500-3600 lbs for a max rear axle payload.

Best to weigh the rig on a scale that way actual loads on the trucks axles/tires/suspension are known. A upgraded in those components can then be addressed ...if needed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
2021 Ford Fleet covers most configured ford towing.Here.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Almost maxed with rig in signature. Truck has 5300 "cargo" but we have added front hitch, sway bar, truck camper tie downs, step bars and a 95 gallon transfer tank/tool box.

Camper pin is a little over 3k.

Considering going to a 5500 with hauler bed for the next one.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
2012 ^^^^brings up a good point! In the standard bed HD trucks, all is not equal. The GM has longest distance from rear axle center, to back of cab, then Ford, and shortest is Ram. For this reason, and buying gas, I'd suggest Ford with 7.3 and 10-speed. You can get a B&W, non-sliding hitch (3300) to fit factory puck system. Light wt, adjusts ahead/back, and very user friendly.

GM, a good second choice, similar hitch available. Ram gas is good, but may cause clearance issue, limiting hitch choices.

Jerry

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. 33ft long, GVWR is 12k. Opposing slides in the rear living area - tons of storage. I started out pulling it with a 2017 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. It did a very good job, had plenty of payload in Bighorn trim. Coils in the rear - no squatting when hooked up.

Payload varies by vehicle - you might get estimated numbers, but best to look at the load sticker in the actual vehicles driver door jamb.

So if you want the gas engine, I don't see any issues going with a 2500. But shop the 3500's at the same time - you may be surprised. Since you want the short bed, you need to be concerned with the possibility of the camper contacting the cab. So think about the Anderson hitch or a slider. Be aware that the auto sliders can't hook up at an angle.

And if you don't want 4x4, you might have to order. Good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS