cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Size, Capacity Fifth Wheel Hitch

P_Colahan
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy our first Fifth Wheel trailer. I have an F350 4x4 long bed dually. The truck has the wiring into the bed and a brake control in the cab. There are actually a large 7 pin and a round 5 pin connector in the bed. Don't know if Fifth wheels need both.
But want buy a good hitch. We are looking at something about 36 foot. I hear you want an articulating hitch but what capacity would you recommend? What advice could you share?
Any advice or help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
2003 Ford F350 DWR 4x4 7.3L
Camper TBD still shopping
1991 Bayliner 4588
2012 Endeavor 12ft RIB, Honda 4-stroke 9.9hp
15 REPLIES 15

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Anderson ultimate. Perfect if you already have a gooseneck ball. And only 35 pounds. Rated for 24k.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Third or fourth for the B&W and the Companion.
Heavy and SOLID.
At 75, I can still install and remove it by myself.
If I remember the base is 99#'s and the Companion is 79#'s.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have two electrical connections in the bed the truck has likely been used as a tow vehicle in the past. I'd think the 7-pin connector is for a FW and the 5-pin for some other application, maybe a stock trailer.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
P Colahan wrote:
Thanks guys, much appreciate the responses. It makes sense to match or slightly over the truck rating. There sure are a lot of hitches out there. Thanks for the recommendations.

Is it normal for 5th wheels to have tow electrical plugs to the tow vehicle. As I said earlier, I have one 7 and one 5 pin in the bed. Notice last night while scoping RV Trader that I could see what looked like two cords coming out by the hitch. What are they used or?

5 pin round .......has right/left--brake lights, ground, tail/marker lights and brake power wire
Typical for flat bed trailers, horse/cargo trailers etc.

7 pin blade........all of the 5 pin PLUS trailer battery charge line and backup lights

SO you would have the trailer umbilical cord ....plugs into 7 pin nd then 'other' cord/strap would be for the 'Emergency Break Away Switch' pin .....connects to tow vehicle so Pin gets pulled out of switch IF trailer becomes separated from tow vehicle. Allows FULL trailer battery voltage to trailer brakes so stop run away trailer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W, you will NEVER have a complaint.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
P Colahan wrote:
Thanks guys, much appreciate the responses. It makes sense to match or slightly over the truck rating. There sure are a lot of hitches out there. Thanks for the recommendations.

Is it normal for 5th wheels to have tow electrical plugs to the tow vehicle. As I said earlier, I have one 7 and one 5 pin in the bed. Notice last night while scoping RV Trader that I could see what looked like two cords coming out by the hitch. What are they used or?

Most all FWs will have the standard 7-pin plug, so use that one. Not sure why there's a 5-pin, but previous owner may have had a GN stock trailer that used it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
P Colahan wrote:
We are looking to buy our first Fifth Wheel trailer. I have an F350 4x4 long bed dually. The truck has the wiring into the bed and a brake control in the cab. There are actually a large 7 pin and a round 5 pin connector in the bed. Don't know if Fifth wheels need both.
But want buy a good hitch. We are looking at something about 36 foot. I hear you want an articulating hitch but what capacity would you recommend? What advice could you share?
Any advice or help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

As an avowed B&W "fanboy", I will recommend any of the appropriate B&W Companion hitches. Excellent products with an even better company to stand behind them. Their Patriot hitches fit on a set of universal rails and comes in 16k and 18k sizes. If you want to go whole hog and have a clean bed when the hitch is removed, you can install the Turnover Ball Gooseneck base with a Companion FW hitch. 20k trailer with 5k pin weight.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
5th wheel hitches ??
Conventional hitches can weigh 250-275 + lbs and can be a load to remove from the truck.

Hitches like the Pullrite Superlite ...... Anderson may weigh in the 40-60 lb range.
Check them all out and choose the type you like.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

P_Colahan
Explorer
Explorer

2003 Ford F350 DWR 4x4 7.3L
Camper TBD still shopping
1991 Bayliner 4588
2012 Endeavor 12ft RIB, Honda 4-stroke 9.9hp

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I suggest buying a hitch that fits the capacity of the truck. If the truck is rated to tow 18K, I'd get a hitch rated at least that amount. While there are many good hitches, some are more user friendly than others. I am most familiar with B&W brand, which is a popular choice, due to high quality, at a reasonable price. See them at e-trailer.com in 16K 18K 20K, at a good price.

Jerry

X2
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Do your research like on this forum and get a quality, easy to use hitch. BW is my choice but there are a few others that are very good too. I've heard good things about Anderson.

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Curt Q20 for my 16k GVW Silverback. It is a solid unit and was reasonby priced.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I suggest buying a hitch that fits the capacity of the truck. If the truck is rated to tow 18K, I'd get a hitch rated at least that amount. While there are many good hitches, some are more user friendly than others. I am most familiar with B&W brand, which is a popular choice, due to high quality, at a reasonable price. See them at e-trailer.com in 16K 18K 20K, at a good price.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever brand you buy........lots of good ones........buy one that has a higher rated capacity then the GVWR of your trailer

Trailer GVWR 14K......buy a 16K

Trailer GVWR 20K......buy a 25K

How much do you want to spend?
Pricing all over the map and all are good hitches
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31