cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...

ProbablyOverloa
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been doing alot of research lately in regards to ratings of fifth wheels to accomidate my 3/4 ram. I'm pretty sure this unit would be inside the specs. I'm only going to relocate from site to site and never travel with loaded tanks or much gear. Its just me and primarily a place to stay for work.

Details:
2019 ram 2500 crew cab 4 x 4 diesel
Gvwr: 10000 lb
Gcwr: 27000 lb
Base weight: 7515 lb

Gawr front 6000 lb
Gawr rear 6040 lb

Rear axle weight is currently 3085 lb wet

The 5th wheel I'm looking at:
2019 Keystone RV Laredo 340FL
13000 lb gvwr
2220 lb pin weight

I was originally looking at larger models but with my limited payload of the diesel I had to re-evaulate, this was the smallest front living room option I found which is what I want.
34 REPLIES 34

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Your owner's manual should be able to answer your question. When I had my Chevy 2500 Duramax 4x4 I towed a 14,500 pound 5th wheel just fine.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
You will be close if you load to it's gross weight but if lightly loaded should be fine. I am in a similar position in terms of weights and ratings and will be getting a new truck next year. This one will be legal but a little more cushion where I don't have to sweat how I load will be better. Good luck!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With a FW, staying within axle rating/tire rating is most important. Your truck will work with that FW. Worst case, you may need to add a little support to rear suspension, to level the truck. Don't use the 10K GVWR, and low payload door sticker, as the determining capability of your truck. Those numbers are just due to the truck being in the class 2 rating for registration.

Jerry

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does the sticker on the door of your truck say. It should something to the effect of "maximum weight of cargo and passengers should not exceed _______ lbs".
The pin weight once the trailer is fully loaded (not the weight on the dealers lot) is part of the cargo. Pretty self explanatory.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had a 3/4t since my 97 and towing cap was only 10500. I moved 12k 5er for friends but I wouldn't have wanted to do that very often. I know the newer one are rated a lot higher. Without knowing more, I'm guessing you'll be OK. Pin weight looks good but I have no idea about your towing cap. You'll still probably be OK beings you won't be loading heavy or towing a lot. See what others say... Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!