cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to do with my hitch

jimcatinmi
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this is the right place for this. What does everyone else do with their hitch in the winter? Is it ok to leave it mounted in the bed? we do have a soft cover on the truck to keep the snow off but not sure what to do for the winter. We live in Michigan so we do get snow and cold. T
2021 F250 7.3 Godzilla
2015 Alpine 3010RE
Pullrite superglide 16k
23 REPLIES 23

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
You have to be careful doing this with certain hitches. On the PullRite hitches, the latch arm under the fifth wheel plate can be damaged if too much upward force is applied by the king pin. On many other hitches it's no problem.

Rob

If hanging the hitch from the king pin damages it, then that hitch should never be used for towing.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Mine hangs with a old come a long in the tractor shed from two eye bolts in the top plate, when not in use. I keep a cooker cover over it with velcro on the open end to keep mud daubers/wasps out.
If you leave it hanging from the hitch jaws be sure and pad lock it closed. One member of a brand specific forum left his hanging. Kids messing with it probably pulled on the lever, he thought, and drop on one breaking his ankle.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Jim&Sharon wrote:
Sure, you can leave it in the truck bed. Exposed to the weather, not being used, in the way of other loads.

I hang mine from the 5th wheel king pin. Put it back in the truck in the spring.

You have to be careful doing this with certain hitches. On the PullRite hitches, the latch arm under the fifth wheel plate can be damaged if too much upward force is applied by the king pin. On many other hitches it's no problem.

Rob

"Damage if there is an upward force by the king pin". Explain how that hitch can work when you hit a chuck hole or go over a rough railroad crossing!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim&Sharon wrote:
Sure, you can leave it in the truck bed. Exposed to the weather, not being used, in the way of other loads.

I hang mine from the 5th wheel king pin. Put it back in the truck in the spring.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jimcatinmi
Explorer
Explorer
Jim&Sharon wrote:

This is just my T/V have another truck if I need to haul something was just trying to figure out what others did with the hitch for the winter not looming for advice on how to haul something else.......but thanks
2021 F250 7.3 Godzilla
2015 Alpine 3010RE
Pullrite superglide 16k

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As long as you don't need the bed for other uses, certainly, you can leave it in.

An easy alternative is to pull the pins holding it down while still hooked up and then when you lift the front of the 5er, it will take the hitch with it (do make sure the latch is locked so someone doesn't come by and pull the latch having it drop on them)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer

2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays in the bed and I also have a hard top roll cover on it

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I take mine out and replace it w/ 1200# of tube sand
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"