cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to look for - construction / materials / options

Paul39
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking to buy a new 5th wheel in the next month or two and trying to narrow down the choices. There are a million brands (many owned by a few companies). I know generally what I want. Mid size (27-34’) lighter weight (9-10k dry) decent sized shower, washer/dryer (can be combo unit as long as it’s prepped and vented), 1 bed - but with a fold down or pull out in case the grand kids come along. Good TV viewing area inside.

Not looking for top of the line $$$, but not cheap low quality either. Getting close to retirement and although we won’t be full timing by any means - we are planning to taking multiple 2-4 week trips around the country (Me, my wife, and two dogs). Are there certain features or construction methods I should be looking for? Or staying away from? Brands that are known to be better or worse.

I see a lot of terminology (laminated aluminum structure, etc) but I don’t see any good definitions, comparisons or and pros/cons that I should be looking for.

Thanks for any input
7 REPLIES 7

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Great set of videos, learned a lot about the plumbing and use of pex fittings with regular hoses, eye opening.

Thermoguy wrote:
Found this on youtube this morning. Maybe not the brands you are looking at but shows some of the poor quality decisions manufactures make when designing and building an RV. Things to stay away from or things that are good and will last a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamZIUnWNp4
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
After saying goodbye to our 5er (earlier post) I will be checking the hangers where the leaf springs are attached and checking for broken welds as well as taking a peak under the corrugated plastic to be sure any cross supports are not showing any damage. This and check every corner of every cabinet for previous water damage. As Likes to Tow mentioned these are constantly vibrating themselves every time you hit the road, look for separation where the shower mounts to the walls and where ever cabinets meet the walls, if there's any separation it could be a future problem.
That and check the sealed corners for failure but really look at the axles and leaf springs.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t buy the lightest one you find. Mine has everything you mentioned plus the arctic package, tinted dual panes, a 16” boxed frame and it is 12k unloaded and 15k gvw. I’ve off-roaded a lot and it take it like a tank. I wouldn’t want anything less but IDK what is built like it anymore..
Oh yeah, it’s 31’ 8”, it has two slides and we have very comfortably half-timed in it several winters. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I just read the post again.
Construction will vary as well, full profile, mid profile etc. The frames, while they are I bean and Tubular, I believe they are obvioulsy made to hold the home that is nbuilt on it. Just try to make sure you get a good insulated one,and again, tap the rv forums to get actual user info as well as the structural process from the manufacture. If you can and are near a manufacture, take a tour of the factory.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Well first off, welcome to the forum and there will be just as many opinions as there are units out there. But take them for what they're worth.
My suggestion is to go and look at some units, new or used doesn't matter to get some ideas of floor plans and options. Sit on the toilet, lay in the bed, watch tv, and go through all the motions that you would if you were staying in it. That will give you some basics.
Look at the GVWR sticker on the unit and make sure you can tow it at it's max determined weight capacity. Narrow it down a little before you get too involved with some extras. Take a pad of paper with you, take lots of notes and write down the do's, dont's, pro's and con's. Consider how you will cmap will be a big part as well, hook up facilities all the time, dry camp, etc. In addition, where you plan on goinng some times has limitations on size.
so in short. Go to an RV show, selling lots, etc and get some good info. Then go home and poke around on the internet and look at floor plans, weights, capacities, lenghts etc. Please for the sake of yourself, DON'T LET SOME SALES PERSON SELL YOU A BILL OF GOODS!!! ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT SAY, "OH, YOU CAN TOW THAT". Just be careful and if you know someone in your area that is willing to go wiht you and help out a bit, get the help. Reach out to those in and around, they will be happy to help!!!!! Here on this forum and other forums, manufacture specific forums too. These forums will also give you some good info. For us, we have had bumper pulls and now fifth wheel, we love it and enjoy it. On our second Grand Design forst the 303RLS, now 337RLS, but there are little things that I like that kept me wiht this brand/model. GOOD LUCK !!!!! Enjoy!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found this on youtube this morning. Maybe not the brands you are looking at but shows some of the poor quality decisions manufactures make when designing and building an RV. Things to stay away from or things that are good and will last a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gamZIUnWNp4

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased a 31 ft Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel after I retired. It has been on 5 trips now across the country into the West. It has held up pretty good overall. However there was some growing pains the first few local (200 miles or less) trips we made. I think all RV manufacturers push their models down the assembly line with no quality control other than possibly very basic checks. The dealer is responsible for plumbing leaks and other non life threatening problems. We certainly had too many of those to mention but on many of them I took care of here at home. It only went back to the dealer three times. So having said this let me suggest that you have a thorough walk thru, systems check with tanks filled and everything checked before you pay. Remember that RV dealers will get backed up with service issues and sometimes when you drop your unit off for service it is not uncommon to have it sit there for a few weeks. This cuts into your travel plans. I think sometimes a dealer will intentionally keep a unit so long that the owner is willing to take it back without total resolution of problems. This is especially true if purchasing a used one.

If you have never owned an RV you must be aware of critical maintenance issues you must perform or have performed. Sealing or re-caulking any joints or windows is a must do from time to time. RVs flex when moving and the caulk seam can open and allow moisture in which can cause de-lamination of the wall. Bearing repacking is another topic you can check on this forum and many others......very critical. Also be aware of the big problem with tires. Trailer tires are designated as ST on the sidewall and are in many cases cheap made China Bombs. They may have good tread but will blow out unexpectedly. There are many good brands but Goodyear Endurance Americn Made tires seem to be very popular and are what we have used now for a few years and many thousand miles with no issues. Tires should be replaced every 6 years even if the tread is good, manufacture date is coded on the sidewall. Tire pressure is critical and should be checked often along with the lug nuts. We lost an entire rim and tire because lug nuts got loose and I did not know it. The lugs sheared off and we lost the tire and rim on a trip. I carry a torque wrench now and check my lug nuts every few days when on a long trip. Very important!!

You can learn a lot on this forum and others about RV travel and some of the things to be aware of. Reservations are now extremely hard to get in some places especially on weekends and popular places. Sometimes you have to make reservations a year in advance!!

I believe that many brands are good with very similar manufacturing methods. Sometimes the difference in price is not always the quality of build but how well and how much it is equipped. We have owned 3 fifth wheel trailers and 4 truck campers and it is much easier to travel with a smaller unit if you can. Many state parks and such were designed in the 50's or 60's and mega RV luxury palaces 36-43 feet long have trouble using these facilities. If you have never pulled a trailer I would suggest you go to a Mall parking lot some morning a daylight and practice backing and turning. 5th wheel trailers are more stable on the highway even in high winds but backing them is very different from bumper hitch trailers. They react very slowly to steering wheel commands. It's not hard to do, just different in my opinion.

Good luck and safe travels