cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what type of slide is this

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to id my slide. We took our maiden voyage this weekend and the slide cut out. First the issue was the wiring separated, we fixed that. Now the gearing is off track. There are white rollers under the slide on the outside. The motor and slide mechanism are inside under the queen bed. it is 2 gear tracks with a bar that spins between them. There are no chains or pulleys. Gonna get dealer to fix but would like to know what I have in case I have to call a mobile rv tech. Sorry pics aren't better but it's what I was able to shoot today. Here are some pictures of the slide mechanism.

The first 4 are under the bed in the master.

The white cord by itself goes to nothing???? Lots of trash left from the workers who installed it.

This is underneath the outside of the slide.

This is the slide stuck halfway in.

Thanks.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014
17 REPLIES 17

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slide-out locking bars.....typically 2 are used. 1 on each side towards top.

You can make your own.......
Purchase a closet rod (wooden dowel 1" dia. or larger) and 4 rubber feet
Cut 2 bars to length so bar is tight between face of slide out and wall

Slide out will not move with bars in place.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, it appears to be a power gear slide with a center drive.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
drfife wrote:
Looks like a Barker motor.

The 1/2" hex head parallel to the motor is the manual retraction point. A 1/2" socket and ratchet wrench works best.

This did it sort of. The problem is we have more than one issue. The connectors for the wire get pushed under the slide plate when it moves causing them to separate. We lose power when this happens. We then did the manual crank but no slide movement. We were able to crank the teeth to the closed position and then manually push the slide in all but the last quarter of an inch. I'm thinking of getting a 2x4 cut into lengths the width of the slide top to hold it in place there and get it to the dealership. My question is now will that safely hold the slide in for a one hour all highway trip to the dealership? Do I need to try to bar somewhere on the bottom too? Thanks

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Tarps are cheap at Harbor Freight.

Get some pool noodles. Split them and slip over edges and corners.

Completely cover the top of the slide and he adjacent roof.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
5'er is 8' wide. Slide is out 12-16" so a 12' long tarp and as wide as needed to cover the slide. 8' would work. Since they don't make an 8x12 tarp get a 10x12 tarp and lay it over the roof and slide. Tie the ends down and under the 5'er with rope. Use something to protect the edges of the 5'er. Not really that hard to do.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider lowering the side of the trailer with the stuck slide. That way water will tend to run away from the trailer instead of into the trailer.

Is the slide racked in any way? Take a tape measure and see how far out each slide end is. It may have jumped a tooth on the track or maybe a tooth broke. No chance there's something inside the trailer keeping one side from coming in? Some RV's have nasty doors that can open and jam the slide.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Can't get it in or out. It is completely stuck. I'm aware of them not sealing, that's what I'm worried about. I've been trying to figure out how to secure a tarp over it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slide outs do NOT seal unless fully retracted or fully extended.....any place in between the top and sides of slide out are open to water intrusion.

Highly doubt dealer/factory will do repairs under warranty due to owners neglect to minimize damage even if a component failed.
So either get the slide out fully in or out..........or completely tarp it to stop water from coming in the partially opened/closed slide out.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
drfife wrote:

The 1/2" hex head parallel to the motor is the manual retraction point. A 1/2" socket and ratchet wrench works best.

Will look into this as well.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Old biscuit- Interesting. Would love to know how to do that. Will have Dh look a little more into it tomorrow if the dealership can't get a tech out. For now, I'm worried about it being half in/out with a storm coming through tonight. Hopefully we won't get any water intrusion from this. Will check carefully for that tomorrow and will expect the dealer to fix that too if it happens.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer

Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
anaro wrote:
There is no hole for doing a manual crank. Dealership said manual close is to have a couple people simply push it closed. Due to being off track/angled slightly, we can't push it any farther.

"Might need to un-pin (unbolt) one side of drive bar to re-sync drive gears/track"

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
There is no hole for doing a manual crank. Dealership said manual close is to have a couple people simply push it closed. Due to being off track/angled slightly, we can't push it any farther.