cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When you buy a used 5th wheel private party...

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get it home, eventually plan on going this route and as I have a ram 2500 megacab plan on getting a sidewinder hitch, do you just have to get it home once and then get your new hitch, seems like they aren't universal
21 REPLIES 21

Imbriaco
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought our 1st 5th wheel, after years of campers and trailers. Iโ€™m beginning to think that picking out the trailer was easier than picking out the hitch for my truck!??
2001 F350 crew cab long bed

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
WaterJosh wrote:
Kinda looking at the anderson hitch as i didnt get the 5th wheel prep kit with the truck and honestly, I'm nervous about drilling holes in my new truck. I really appreciate all the info from everyone
I didn't have the fifth wheel prep either. Called a local dealer and asked them if they installed it - they said they sent them to a custom hitch shop in town. I called them, and they installed it.

Go to etrailer.com and purchase a B&W slider for your short bed ram. I did, didn't slide it back because thought I didn't have to, and dented my cab/put out back window while putting it into my driveway - being careful to watch the corners - only takes a second.

It's fixed like brand new now, but lesson learned.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pin on the trailer is standard and will work with any hitch made to interlock with a pin. Only concern would be the height adjustment. Just drill as needed, people do this every day. Have a pro do it if needed.

If the trailer has a gooseneck or other ball type connection you will need a different hitch. Andersen uses a ball.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lyle...just curious if that applies to the single point attached Companion, or includes rail mount Patriot, and other puck attached Companions? I know you said ANY FLAVOR, but don't see the issue with 4-point attachment.

Jerry

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda looking at the anderson hitch as i didnt get the 5th wheel prep kit with the truck and honestly, I'm nervous about drilling holes in my new truck. I really appreciate all the info from everyone

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
WaterJosh, if you are at all considering a B&W hitch of any flavor, last I knew, using a Sidewinder, or any other method to shift the pivot position of the king pin, is NOT supported by B&W, will void any warranty and they will offer little to no after-sales support. Double-check with them, to be 100% sure, but I've not seen any policy change on their part.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
WaterJosh wrote:
The concern for me, i have towed a fair amount, never a 5th wheel. I have a brand new ram 2500 megacab, would love to not wipe out the cab with the trailer if you know what i mean

Certainly a valid concern, but you have to try it out sometime. Planning, patience and being observant when you first start is the way to go. Plan your route so there aren't any tight places, don't move on off level areas without people watching the clearance and do some research with other owners of the same rig to see what hitch and results they have.

Take your time, both when hitching the first time and while getting a feel for how much range you have.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most of the later model FWs have a front cap designed for 6.5 bed towing. Yes the Ram has the shortest distance from rear axle center, to back of cab. If you install your hitch, set in rear most position, just to get it home, it should work without issue. Yes, as mentioned, caution when turning/backing SHORT, will be necessary. When you get the Sidewinder installed, it will be a non-issue, and you can put your hitch in whatever position works best.

Jerry

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Fears justified! As never having a short-bed truck, Iโ€™m in โ€œuncharted watersโ€! ( pun intended)

Best of Luck....hope everything works out well for you!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
The concern for me, i have towed a fair amount, never a 5th wheel. I have a brand new ram 2500 megacab, would love to not wipe out the cab with the trailer if you know what i mean

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
WaterJosh wrote:
No hitch in the truck yet primarily because of dealing with having just moved... but i thought devices like the sidewinder replaced the pin box on the trailer and were therefore sized to the trailer, am i mistaken?

I wasnโ€™t familiar with the โ€œsidewinderโ€...... thought it was a hitch, not a pin-box replacement. If itโ€™s a pin-box replacement... it will likely need to be trailer specific. Though you could stay with the conventional set-up ( using your hitch), then....once home get your trailer specific โ€œsidewinderโ€. Just be โ€œveryโ€ careful on tight turns!

Sorry! Iโ€™m old school.....conventional Reese Hitch in a long bed truck ( until 2 weeks ago), and the standard 5th wheel pin on trailer!

I guess that I wasnโ€™t much help!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
No hitch in the truck yet primarily because of dealing with having just moved... but i thought devices like the sidewinder replaced the pin box on the trailer and were therefore sized to the trailer, am i mistaken?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Iโ€™m being too simplistic here, but, you know what hitch youโ€™re going to use .....install the hitch and bring it home with you. You may have to make an adjustment, but thatโ€™s easily done.
Weโ€™ve been buying 5erโ€™s since โ€˜91 (a total of five now), and always brought them home ourselves. That fartherest away being approx. 1200 miles (each way). If you need time for the hitch installation.....perhaps the unit can be held for a little while.

โ€œIfโ€ itโ€™s a long way....think of it as a mini-vacation with your new (to you) 5er. Usually, Time was โ€œNOTโ€ our friend....I think we were back home (the 1200 mile trip), less than 30 hours after getting it! Thatโ€™s โ€œnotโ€ a mini-vacation! ??
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
WaterJosh wrote:
We are probably a few months out still but was just asking as a rule of thumb, no 5th wheel hitch currently in my truck even. One of the things that is nice about the house we just bought is a nice rv pad with full hookups, including 50a service
So what is stopping you from getting a hitch now?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS