cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why a Diesel Ranger is better than a RAM as a tow vehicle

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Going through the Australian 5th wheel forums on Face Book you do get some interesting information. Question asked was the RAM 1500 a good tow Vehicle( obviously non here would use it) for a 27ft 5ver.
This was the answer
Be very careful of the Ram by the time you add a full tank of fuel, two people and a hitch you will have around 540 kgs of down load with only 1770 kgs on the rear axle by comparison the ranger with a Lovells GVM upgrade will carry the load and GCM of 7.0 tonne
10 REPLIES 10

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Last word on this and quite comprehensive
Occasionally a question comes up about the variety of trucks for pulling a fifth wheeler
Facebook page very comprehensive explanation....

Australian Expedition Vehicle's

It was posted by Australian Expedition Vehicles back in June ....

"As an approved person engineer, AEV has been swamped with requests to provide a GVM upgrade post registration to RAM 1500 vehicles.
It is not good news.
These vehicles have a stated GVM and GCM from RAM.
GVM= 3450kg
GCM= 7237kg
FRONT axle Max load= 1770kg
REAR axle Max load=1770kg
Total = 3540kg is the maximum that can be certified on these.
Note the sales pitch has a 4500kg Max Brake Tow Capacity.
Real towing is= 7237 - 3450 = 3787 kg
At Kerb weight of these vehicles are 2605 kg. That's only measured with full tank of fuel and no driver. So with a 4000kg van with a ball weight at 10% = 400kg + driver plus full fuel, these are nearing overmass.
Another known issue is the factory rims are only rated to 885kg (1950 lb), so restricts them from reaching their full axle mass.
AEV has undertaken a full ADR 3505 for a 10% GVM upgrade to 3750kg ( which is for Vehicle Category NB1, medium goods vehicle) brake test on factory brakes and tyres. The vehicles failed the component test at full GVM for the 20 stops from 0 - 60 kmph. Brakes at 530° C.
So please do your research on these vehicles. They are not suitable for a GVM upgrade of even 10%.
Jmacx offroad solutions is working on a SSM GVM to 4200kg, but will require brake, rim and axle strengthening.
Link to brochure from RAM Australia.
https://www.ramtrucks.com.au/download-brochure/"

I guess the lesson here is to make a detailed investigation and don't take the sales pitch as gospel!

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
another troll alert from down under !!!!

No, Pretty well what you see here. As Frank said it applies to fairly small 5th wheels up to 28ft

As Frank posted a unmodified vehicle
A light vehicle wit a GVWR under 4500kg can not tow any more than manufacturers tow rating in this case 3500kg. In Australia

Have a FB link to a local 5th wheel site discussing RAM 1500's
Ram 1500 discussion in Aus 5th wheel FB site
Notice the conments about a small 5th wheeler, if using the 1500
Unlike Frank others like using Japanese Trucks, so variery spice of life here

The Very Short story (trust me),,,,,we own a gorgeous Montana High Country we’ve named Misty, that we have just purchased after selling our home.
The “traditional” Chevy, F-truck or Ram didn’t fit the brief for us as we intend to semi-retire and working as we travel so I need room And load capacity for my tools and other Stuff.
So my attention turned to Japanese trucks, which I’m Very happy to see are not uncommon around these here parts.
We look forward to sharing stories experiences with you all.

Pat and Vicki.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
another troll alert from down under !!!!
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Robert the information is rubbish. Yes the Ranger can get a GCM upgrade in som states, this how ever don’t mean you don’t have to comply with the other ratings, like GVWR, axle and tyre ratings. The Ranger is no better as a tow vehicle for anything but the lightest FW and travel trailers than the Ram 1500. Want to tow a FW get a 350.
Frank.

Exactly Frank that is what the Ranger tows lightweight FW. Ram 1500 has problems with those lightweight FW's

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
A light vehicle wit a GVWR under 4500kg can not tow any more than manufacturers tow rating in this case 3500kg. In Australia. If. No rating by manufacturer it can tow 1.5 times it’s own weight.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Robert the information is rubbish. Yes the Ranger can get a GCM upgrade in som states, this how ever don’t mean you don’t have to comply with the other ratings, like GVWR, axle and tyre ratings. The Ranger is no better as a tow vehicle for anything but the lightest FW and travel trailers than the Ram 1500. Want to tow a FW get a 350.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
MT BOB wrote:
Comparing a stock vehicle of one brand to a modified one of another brand is a bit disingenuous.

I agree. An I am an engineer at Stellantis!

If the RAM had a reasonable payload it also would have a similar GCM upgrade as none of these vehicles are stock. One reason base RAM's are not used as small 5th wheel tugs, but Rangers, Mazda and Isuzu Dmaxes are

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
MT BOB wrote:
Comparing a stock vehicle of one brand to a modified one of another brand is a bit disingenuous.

I agree. An I am an engineer at Stellantis!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
MT BOB wrote:

Not really, quite common for the Ranger to have a GCM upgrade for a 5th wheel. Same would apply to the RAM, but the small payload is what let's it down

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer