cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing --- Antifreeze or blow'em out??

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Cougar 318 and in the past have always used the R/V Antifreeze in the unit. I have a compressor which can be dialed back for a reduced pressure. Do I run the risk of leaving small pockets of water in the lines or does this method do the job? I plan do drain everything before I use the air.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started
30 REPLIES 30

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I live outside Baltimore, MD about 35 miles and we get weather down in the low single numbers. I'll most likely use some of all the suggestions. Drain and Blow out the lines and use the water pump to add the antifreeze. I have the insulated under-side polar package and don't want to have to remove any of that for repairs. As for the posters in Florida -- I just might join ya.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
It gets plenty cold here in Colorado. I blow out my lines, pour some pink stuff in the toilet, sinks and shower, and call it good. Never had anything freeze or break. It's just like the sprinkler system. Once you blow out the system, there's nothing left to freeze.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I live north of Syracuse, NY. Last year we had several days well below zero. My well water line froze for the first time in 20 years. I have only used air for the past 35 years. The smell of the pink stuff bothers me. Have never had a problem getting all the water out of the lines and no freezing of the lines. As for the traps, I either blow them out with a shop vac or vacuum them out with my wet vac.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
What is this thing you call "Winter" ??
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the RV antifreeze. It takes 3 gallons but its easier for me than blowing it out and then I still have to remember to put antifreeze in the traps.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're in the south, so don't get those near-zero temps that folks up north do. My brother-in-law had a negative experience with the antifreeze (in New Mexico - used the pink stuff in his fiver one year and worked for weeks to get the taste out of the water system the next spring). As a result, we both drain all the lines at the low points (and water heater) and then blow everything out with air. Anti-freeze only goes in the P-traps in the shower and sinks. Haven't had a problem so far - and it got down into the single digits where my BIL lives a couple of years ago.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I always blow mine out just for piece of mind but I never get any more water out after doing the following.

First I bypass my water heater by closing the valve. (some may not have this feature)

Second I drain my water heater by pulling the plug and then opening the pop off valve. (in that order or you will get wet HAHA!)

Third is the most important step IMO. Go inside and open all of the sink valves hot and cold. Shower, sinks, washer(if you have them you must unhook the lines going to the washing machine) and the toilet flush valve. I just use a heavy object to hold it down.

Forth I open my outside valves (outside shower , etc.) Once all of the valves are opened then I will remove the caps from the low point drains. This will create a siphoning effect that sucks the water out of all the lines including any low spots there may be.

Like I said before, I then reinstall the low point caps and blow air through the system. I never have any water left to come out but I gives me piece of mind.

I will then pour a few ounces of RV antifreeze in each drain to force out the water in the traps. A gallon of antifreeze will last me a few years.

Again, this is just how I have done it and have never had any problems. We only get into the teens around here with the occasional single digit or sub zero day. This may not work for everyone.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
fedrocker wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
We blow ours out and add pink stuff to the drains. Of course we don't get the long hard freezes here in Alabama but we do freeze up occasionally. We also camp year round so having to clear pink stuff every month would be a pita. Happy camping

I live in GA, and you're description seems closest to mine, particularly because we plan to camp every month. Quick question: During the winter months, do you clear the lines of water with air and pour antifreeze in drains after each trip? And importantly, I assume this does not require de-winterization after, since you don't have to "clear" the pink stuff. Thanks,

Yes, after each trip blow lines and add pink stuff to traps, actually do it while at the campground. When ready to camp just hook up water and purge air from the lines. Make sure your water heater is filled with water prior to turning on electric or you'll toast the element. Done that once. Quick and easy. Enjoy your winter camping, so nice to be in the south.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My off-road POPUP is a small footprint water system and it just didn't make sense to go through a hugh winterizing method. The shower portion is part of my cassette potty install.

This is basically my small trailer water system layout..

My effort is to just drain all the fresh water at the low drain ports which will also drain down my hot water heater tank if I open the blow out pressure value and open the hot water water sink faucet. The water left in the hot water tank is just a tad left over which has plenty of room to expand and has never presented any freeze up problem associated with the water heater tank.

I can remove my cassette potty black water tank with ease and can dump it properly. I also have a small 6-gallon fresh water tank associated with the cassette potty setup which has a low point drain port.

Then I hook-up my 12VDC tankless compressor using an air adapter to the city water fill port and flush all of the water from the one or two line which drains down the sink drain. after all the water is out I then fill the sink drain p-trap with pink stuff...

We sometimes camp in our mtns during the winter months and can do this blow-out procedure in only a few minutes and then can re-fill the fresh water tank the next day when it warms up...

Having a larger trailer I would probably change my winterizing procedure somewhat but for the small POPUP footprint this works out great for me and can be done anytime the weather conditions gets down to freezing in just a few minutes of effort...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Just did pink stuff.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
It doesn't matter where you live like some like to believe unless you live where it doesn't freeze. If you live where it freezes either blow the lines and add pink to the traps or pump pink through the lines. There is no reason to blow the lines then pump pink stuff through them or pump pink stuff then blow the lines.
By pumping antifreeze through the lines it pushes most of the water out and any water that might be left will collect in the low spots along with the antifreeze and true to its name the antifreeze will prevent the small amount of water mixed in with it from freezing.
If you choose to blow the lines the air will push most of the water out and the little that's left will not be enough to freeze and break anything. The key here is to open and close the faucet a few times to let the air pressure build and force the water out, when done all that should come out of any faucet is air and a fine mist of water.
Doing both is like a guy that wears suspenders and a belt, must suck going through life not trusting one or the other to hold up your pants.

Agree:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter where you live like some like to believe unless you live where it doesn't freeze. If you live where it freezes either blow the lines and add pink to the traps or pump pink through the lines. There is no reason to blow the lines then pump pink stuff through them or pump pink stuff then blow the lines.
By pumping antifreeze through the lines it pushes most of the water out and any water that might be left will collect in the low spots along with the antifreeze and true to its name the antifreeze will prevent the small amount of water mixed in with it from freezing.
If you choose to blow the lines the air will push most of the water out and the little that's left will not be enough to freeze and break anything. The key here is to open and close the faucet a few times to let the air pressure build and force the water out, when done all that should come out of any faucet is air and a fine mist of water.
Doing both is like a guy that wears suspenders and a belt, must suck going through life not trusting one or the other to hold up your pants.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Been blowing out for years with no issues...also blow out the traps and add pink stuff to them to seal. The pink also lubes the dump valve blades. Do it all with just 1 gallon

fedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We blow ours out and add pink stuff to the drains. Of course we don't get the long hard freezes here in Alabama but we do freeze up occasionally. We also camp year round so having to clear pink stuff every month would be a pita. Happy camping

I live in GA, and you're description seems closest to mine, particularly because we plan to camp every month. Quick question: During the winter months, do you clear the lines of water with air and pour antifreeze in drains after each trip? And importantly, I assume this does not require de-winterization after, since you don't have to "clear" the pink stuff. Thanks,
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
2007 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L