Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering about genny

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am checking into a Raptor 332TS.

the generator Onan 5500 is under the master bed in front.

I am wondering about the noise from these gennys. I haven't gotten to go see one just yet. 'window shopping' floorplans now on the internet.

but if I got one with a genny located in the front of the 5th, would the noise of a genny be too much to handle??? I have no idea.

thanks for any help on this.
24 REPLIES 24

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
A trailer without a gen is like having a trailer with no truck????

I have used mine several times when the power went off in a storm. My neighbors were dying in 110* temps but I was cool and watching the news in the toyhauler.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

tgreening
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5500 in my Cyclone and it's pretty quiet. Just a bit of a background rumble that is not the least bit difficult to tune out. I will tell you this, if you have a bedroom A/C unit you won't hear the gen-set at all.

Dont regret buying one bit. I'm not big in the boondocking scene but do generally do one long weekend of it per season and the genny is a godsend. Keeps the wife cool and happy, which keeps me cool and happy. It runs 24/7 for the weekend and it's sound foot-print is practically non-existent after only a handful of steps from the camper.

It's WAY quieter than the harbor freight specials a lot of folks show up with. Those friggin things sound like a can full of gravel in a paint shaker. 🙂

It's also come in handy on more than one occasion when the campgrounds we were at lost power for one reason or the other. Other people were scratching their heads and wondering what to do, and all we had to do was hit the start button. Problem solved, cold beverages all around. 🙂
2008 Ford F-450 "Lil Beasty"
2011 Heartland 3950 "Big Beasty"
1970 DW Made in Japan "Big Bossy"
2005 DD Made in Ohio "Big Pain"
2007 DD Made in Ohio "Lil Pain"
2004 GR Bahzu the dog "Big Sissy"
2010 Weim Mobo the dog "Fast Spaz"

TopSlink
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you on a 95 deg day running 2 A/Cs my door warped that's why I wrote the article I now always open it

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
TopSlink wrote:
Just To make sure you understand, do not remove the jenny door itself, I ment the trl hatch to the jenny compartment. Jenny door itself has to stay closed sorry if I did not specify

I understand and thanks for clarifying. many don't leave it open tho so I can trial and error that I think.

🙂 Hearing everyone say it is relatively quiet defintely makes me feel better. I appreicate the responses. It gives me security on this issue.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Leaving the compartment door open makes no difference to the cooling of our Onan 5500 - it takes in air and discharges it out the bottom.

Opening the door just makes it louder.

troy_johnsen
Explorer
Explorer
We had an Attitude with a Generac (SP?) 4000w generator for years. When we purchased our Raptor with the Onan I was amazed how much quieter the more powerful generator was! Ours is also up front under the master bed and while we rarely need the AC we use it regularly for bedtime movies for the kids, the microwave, the coffee pot, etc. When I start it I need everybody absolutely silent or I need to open the trailer door just to hear it well enough to ensure I'm not holding the starter button too long. When running I cannot hear it over the other appliances or my kids talking. The AC itself is definitely louder than the generator. I never worry about opening the compartment door, but I guess that's personal preference.

Of course my ears have had years of abuse and are far from overly sensitive, but my wife hears everything (hahaha) and she does not complain about it at all.

Y-Guy
The Onan 5500 is pretty quiet itself, compared to a 4000 it's amazingly quiet. We had the 5500 under our sleeping area on our Raptor 3612 and under our current Winnebago, while I do hear it I don't find it annoyingly loud, if anything it's almost a relaxing rumble. I wouldn't worry about it and sounds like you won't.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

TopSlink
Explorer
Explorer
Just To make sure you understand, do not remove the jenny door itself, I ment the trl hatch to the jenny compartment. Jenny door itself has to stay closed sorry if I did not specify

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks again everyone.

I feel way more secure in buying this unit with the genny so close near the master bed.

cracking open the genny door to disperse the heat will be done. thanks for recommending that.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Have Voltage 3600, genny is under front bed. However, I hear it, but barely. VERY quiet.

TopSlink
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Raptor 3812 my 5500 is relatively quiet the ac is louder make sure you leave the hatch door to the jenny open it will help dispurse the heat better also run it under load at least once a month. I use nothing but premium non ethynol fuel all year long

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
06 Raptor with 400 hrs on genny,right under masterbedroom.Bed is on slide and I think that helps insulate noise.Only time I run genny is when I need the AC going.Have 2 units and the 5500 Onan just clicks along.I say 'clicks' along because my analog hrs counter makes more noise than my genny,I can here it roll over,above the genny.The best thing I do is run a 12v Fantastic Fan on the dresser and it drowns out everything.Nice white noise! Sleep tight...
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks 720.

I am so glad that everyone confirmed that it is an ok location without it being a buying mistake on my part. vibration. never thought of that one. at least it doesn't seem to be an issue either.

thanks for your post. it puts me more at ease with this purchase.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan 5500 runs two 15K air units along with lights, tv and occasional microwave use. I have yet to find a time where I was limited on power. As far as noise goes, my bed is right over top of the genset and I don't find it to be any louder than the A/C unit over my bed. The one thing I was worried about was vibration, but that doesn't really seem to be an issue either.

On fifth wheel trailers, there is usually some room between the genset enclosure and the floor of the trailer. There are several ways that you can insulate to help prevent heat issues as well as use sound suppression matting to help with noise and vibration. I haven't found the need to do either, but it would be easy enough to do if you wanted it to be more quiet than it already is.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog