cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worn/broken spring shackles-word of warning

donajohn
Explorer
Explorer
If your rig is more than a few years old, crawl underneath and inspect the shackles that attach to the ends of your leaf springs. Check all the brackets for wear. I just replaced a sheared off spring shackle, and all three others which were either cracked or worn oblong. Pretty scary to think if the cracked one had sheared off also.
My rig is a 2007 Mountaineer 5th wheel. I'll be inspecting the underside at least yearly. (Yes, I know I should have been doing this all along.)
35 REPLIES 35

chipw
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Does anyone have a truck shop estimate on the cost of having the spring shackles and wet bolts replaced? How long should it take...

Yep just had mine done at a Flying J in Utah. On my way to Sturgis. Wet bolt shackles and new 6 spring leafs to the tune of 1400.00

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Does anyone have a truck shop estimate on the cost of having the spring shackles and wet bolts replaced? How long should it take...

I just installed a wet bolt kit for a friend last week. It took anhour and a half, start to finish in his driveway.

I do it by lifting the rear of the 5th wheel with a steel cross beam on my 12 ton floor jack. Don't remove tires, just take the weight off so the bolts come out then replace everything. Takes a minimum of jiggling around to get the last bolts in. I install the pivot bolt in the center of the equalizer last.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal,
If oil has worked for you then stay with it. However, most chassis components need grease which has an extreme pressure additive and does not wash out easily. That is what I look for and brand isn't critical.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever grease happens to be in the grease gun at the time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Amzoil, grease each spring. So far so good.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
What do you guys lube your shackles with? I give mine a couple drops of Mobil-1 5w-30 before every trip while I'm lubing up the stabilizers. I don't know if it's right or wrong but I've been doing it for 25~ years.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
ACZL wrote:
joebedford wrote:
I did it on my driveway.

Just curious, no adjustment holes on spring shackles?
No adjustment on any of it. It's a bolt in replacement same size as the OEM parts.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
Cougarnewbie wrote:
Lippert has a "never fail"Polyamide bushing kit. Dexter has a wet bolt kit with brass bushings. Any thoughts on which is better. 0 maintenance sounds like a good thing.

I installed the Never Fail bushings a couple of years ago.

I have not pulled one to check, but so far, so good.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Mor-Ryde uses bronze bushings.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert has a "never fail"Polyamide bushing kit. Dexter has a wet bolt kit with brass bushings. Any thoughts on which is better. 0 maintenance sounds like a good thing.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
There's a sticky on the travel tailer forum with good pictures and instructions on replacing shackles and installing wet bolts.
HTML

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
we were alerted to that problem on the Montana Owners forum and although we could not see any wear we had them replaced with the wet bolt and heavy duty shackles on our 06 Montana 3400 at a MOC rally when it was just over one year old. the OEM shackles had already started to go oblong. We finally did away with the entire OEM suspension system and went with the Mor Ryde IS. Did the same with this 13 3402 Big Sky.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I did it on my driveway.

Just curious, no adjustment holes on spring shackles?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"