cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campground costs

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
In anticipation of possibly full timing in retirement I am doing some playing with budgets. Other than the RV loan (no I can't pay cash, and no my home has not been an appreciating asset so a loan is a loan), the biggest expense is where to stay. I plug in $45 a night average and it blows the budget. I don't think we are going to boon dock, nor do we need any luxury.
So tell me, where do y'all stay? I know it's less expensive by the month but I wanted to get an idea of what a month here and there is going for. How difficult has it been to grab spots on state or federal parkland where the rates are a little better? I am trying to find reasonable accommodations without roughing it or blowing the budget.
Also, what do you budget for fuel in a given month? Just a wag. Since we can't stay on the road all the time (we're not rich) we may move about twice or three times a month.
I know this is different for everyone, but I want to see if my numbers are off the mark or closer to the average.
Thanks!!
41 REPLIES 41

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the input! Anything less than full time means going with very limited travel. We want to get out and see. I'll have to rid myself of my house as it is nowhere close to paid off. I would do that anyway and move whether that is in an RV or not. I'll keep that cash for the bail out plan so we are not totally broke after "living the dream" lol. I guess some months are steak and some months are soup.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
(1) I assume you are 62 or older. If so, be sure to spring for the $10 interagency lifetime pass from your nearest National Park or COE campground. It gets you free entry to those federal facilities that charge admission, and half-price camping at most of the campgrounds. Best $10 you'll ever spend.

I stayed at a beautiful COE park near Topeka a couple years ago, with the pass, a site with electricity was $9 a night. My favorite nearby National Forest Service campground (no hookups, but a dump station and water to fill your fresh tank) is $8 a night.

(2) Some states also offer similar passes/cards for state parks. I know Virginia does, although it is nowhere near as good a deal as the federal pass.

(3) I have found myself staying in some private parks for a night or three for as little as $20 a night, hookups included. You need to do some shopping around. $45 a night is easily beaten, just not necessarily at the closest park to where you are at the moment.

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
We anticipated on going 3/4 time when I retired this past April. However, things changed and I went back to work full time in early Nov for 4 1/2 more years.

Point is, while we were planning to go 3/4 time, we decided that based on everything we've read from other full timers experiences, that based on the types of CG's we like, we needed to budget $50 a night or $1500 per month. More than likely our monthly CG budget would have been less but my philosophy has alway's been to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I figure if we can't realistically budget $1500 per month for CG fees then we either go el-cheap-o which we don't want to do anymore or we stay home. Nothing wrong with el-cheap-o...we've been doing that for decades. We just don't want to do it anymore in retirement...which has now been postponed for me until August 2019.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
By renting monthly and researching an area after spending in month in a given area looking for the least expensive acceptable RV parks in the area, we were able to keep our monthly average to less than $330 and nightly average to less than $11 for the last few years. Used to be less in past years but rates have gone up.
We used Passport America (Dues about $44 per year) while in transit.

Note that rates back east are much higher than in the west.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We have been fulltiming Since January. I budgeted $750 per month ($25/day) for campgrounds. So far, we have gone over that twice, once by $15 and once by $35.

We have paid from $0 to $48 for a night stay. We have not stayed at free locations (rest stop, walmart) more than 4 nights in a month. We have not stayed at a private campground for more than 6 days so have not gotten weekly or monthly rates.

We use Passport America if it is convenient (and it has often been very convenient) to pay 1/2 price at campgrounds. We stay often in Federal, State, and COE parks. We have also stayed at Escapee Parks - they are often a great bargain.

The two months we have gone over budget were both in Florida during the winter months. Snowbirds seem to lock up the state parks early and most private parks don't offer PA rates. But, if you are willing to move around, even within the same park, you can often put together enough time to see the area. The trick is to not be afraid of moving down the road. There is also value in looking at the reservation site every day - we got many of our sites because someone else cancelled.

We budget $1000 a month for fuel. We go over that when moving a lot. We are way under it when we don't (We were over in May when we went all the way across the country and in July when we came back east).

This coming summer, when we head to Alaska, our fuel bill should go way up. But our campground bill should go way down as will spend more time boondocking. So it all evens out. If we think we are blowing our budget, we cut back on eating out (which we do a lot) to bring the total number back in line. Keep your budget flexible and you won't have to sweat it so much.

Good luck! The first few months of full timing are the hardest. Getting used to being in an RV but not being on vacation is the largest adjustment. Once you get past that, its all easy.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double ditto on Corps of Engineers campgrounds, state parks, and some city campgrounds. Prices will vary widely based upon proximity to major metro areas with heavy tourist traffic e.g. Washington DC; New York, etc.

You can use Allstays.com to find campgrounds that are marked more within your budget
http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/

They also have a comprehensive link to all the state parks in the USA
http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/state-park-campgrounds.htm

Corps of Engineers campgrounds can range from boondocking to full hook up dependent upon where you are http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearch.do

Another option if budget is constrained is to "part-time". Just travel for part of the year as we do.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
COE parks are about $12 a night can stay for 14 days, Thousand Trails $500 for 30 nights the $3 a night after that, can stay 14 days then out for 7 days. Passport America about $15 a night, lots of restrictions. I spend $400 a month for gas MH and Toad.. hope that helps.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If you stay for the month at RV parks, you will save on the park, and also save on fuel - but that may defeat the purpose.

cruisingat60
Explorer
Explorer
Also, forgot to mention Boondockers Welcome and Harvest Hosts, two groups that charge a relatively small annual fee in exchange for giving you access to lists of private individuals and places like farms, vineyards, etc where you can park for free. Amenities may not be the same everywhere, such as electricity and water availability, and it's considered courteous to purchase something from the Harvest Hosts folks. Think of it as an RV'ers B&B for free.
Fulltiming until I have seen everything I want to see, it isn't fun anymore, or I run out of money. Let's hope it's not the last one.

Cruisingat60 blog.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Monthly rates vary between $200 and 800. Usually mine are about $200 to 400 plus electricity.
I am no longer in a sight seeing mode so I stay 1 to 3 months at a spot usually.

I drive the MH about 8,000 miles a year. Tow a car for everyday driving.

Call me if you wish. I've been full timing for 8 years.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Well, If you have a 100% disability you get 1/2 off in some State parks, Fl. is one I know of.....

COE(Corp of Engineer) campgrounds are nice to stay at, cheaper than 45 a night.....

also some cities have campgrounds(I have been to a few but wasn't pleased with upkeep).

Gas shouldn't be too bad if you are only going to move 2-3 times a month, as long as not big distances between.

Some places give a better rate for the week or the month.....

or you can hit some of the ones that advertise in the RV magazines for 3 night stays to get you in and scope out what they offer( don't have to obligate though).....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

cruisingat60
Explorer
Explorer
I'm parked for a couple of months at a campground in southern Arizona that offered a flat rate of $700 for both months ($700 total), no extra for electricity, tax included. Nice campground. When I come back next winter for 6 months the rate will be $390 a month plus electricity.

When I pull my 30' 5th wheel all day, it's $100 a day for diesel. Prices have dropped some since I was traveling somewhat continually, so I have hopes the pocketbook will squeal a little less when I'm back on the road.

Consider volunteering for national and state parks. Give them some labor, probably 32 hours a week, and get a free spot to plug in. I've touted volunteering here before because I love it but also because it's a great way to meet really nice folks and to live economically.
Fulltiming until I have seen everything I want to see, it isn't fun anymore, or I run out of money. Let's hope it's not the last one.

Cruisingat60 blog.