cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camping outlook 2021

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
We've RV'd for over 25 years, and for the last 9 years camping for 6 months out of the year. Our plans were to finally begin full time rv'ing in 2020, but covid happened.

Now we've heard thousands of new, inexperienced RV'ers are on the road. Is it true the campgrounds are overcrowded and have changed the whole experience due to all the newbies? We also heard that many are trying to boondock, and the BLM has closed some areas due to trash, dumping tanks on the ground, etc.

What is the real situation? Same as it always was? Or a mess?
33 REPLIES 33

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen a few reports of people trashing FS camps in one case. But when I look at the location they are always near a city, Phoenix in that example.

Once again we saw no overcrowding in the heartland free states. We did end up in an overflow area in our one night in New Mexico right at Raton Pass. Very hostile park workers too. My hypothesis is that this over crowding is concentrated in:
1) States that closed State Park camping
2) Limited private park camping, I hear NM allows only 40% occupancy for example.

So those places have created their own problems. I saw one state claiming that they were closing state park camping because of limited funds. Probably caused by having no income from those campgrounds.

Here is our path so you can see where we were:
Summer 2020 trip
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Uh, kinda gone off topic here. Question was how camping may have changed due to influx of newbie RV-ers, the unemployed, and Covid.

Yes, Florida Parks like Gamble Rogers are booked solid (duh) and have been for years, others in the State in the past not so much, especially during the week.

However, back to the main question being posed: How has it changed? COE parks, NSP parks? BLM areas filled with desperadoes dumping sewage on the ground?

It seems that our plans to sell this house and go fulltime for a few years may have changed due to Covid and the lack of centralized response to control disease. I mean, why in the hell did we have a CDC filled with medical experts on the federal salary and not have let them drive the train? We figure that our situation now is relegated to staying in RV parks, crammed together, for the FHP needed to reduce exposure having to use the showers and dump station.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
FL state parks are booked up for the foreseeable future. Being an open state has impacted availability for a lot of parks

Florida State parks are almost always booked solid, especially those near a coast. Nothing new there. They haven't been ranked number one in that nation for no reason
Superbumper

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
FL state parks are booked up for the foreseeable future. Being an open state has impacted availability for a lot of parks
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Z71K9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most state parks in PA are booked full every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We've had good luck getting spots at our AZ State Parks mostly due to the lack of Canadians and to a change in policy allowing 14 days max.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coastal CA and the likes of Yosemite and Sequoia have been booked solid since the 1960s. Nothing new around here to find overcrowding and limited space.

Must say DVNP was very pleasant this past week.

justinhscott
Explorer
Explorer
Mass State Parks all seem to book up really quick. We’re the dreaded “weekend warriors” and we’ve already booked 7 weekends at various private campgrounds. I’m usually pretty happy if I only have to pay $60/night..

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's possible that the capacity restrictions were not strictly for social distancing, but to lessen the number of people visiting the area in order to reduce the possible strain on local resources such as medical facilities, or on the campgrounds themselves.

That makes no sense the number of people travelling is way down so visitor demands on local resources is reduced. There is zero logic behind all of these draconian measures. It's pure power grabbing. NM BTW has reduced private park capacity to 40% from the last thing I heard.
Superbumper

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Govt owned parks had some weird stuff because they artificially reduced capacity...most likely as political theater. So if you tried to reserve, you may have found it more difficult.

Most private parks haven't had the same issues. Even parks with pretty tight spots easily allow you to maintain 6ft separation, so no reason to reduce capacity.

It's possible that the capacity restrictions were not strictly for social distancing, but to lessen the number of people visiting the area in order to reduce the possible strain on local resources such as medical facilities, or on the campgrounds themselves.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pasusan wrote:
Here in Northwest PA we have noticed a huge difference at our state parks. All last summer the parks were full. When we went camping in the fall we had a hard time getting in even on week days.

We are thinking that a lot of the folks who are able to work remotely (and kids schooling remotely) now are doing it wherever they want - even at campgrounds. :R

Govt owned parks had some weird stuff because they artificially reduced capacity...most likely as political theater. So if you tried to reserve, you may have found it more difficult.

Most private parks haven't had the same issues. Even parks with pretty tight spots easily allow you to maintain 6ft separation, so no reason to reduce capacity.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
Here in Northwest PA we have noticed a huge difference at our state parks. All last summer the parks were full. When we went camping in the fall we had a hard time getting in even on week days.

We are thinking that a lot of the folks who are able to work remotely (and kids schooling remotely) now are doing it wherever they want - even at campgrounds. :R

I'm hoping with talk of kids going back to school that it will ease up in the fall. Of course, grade school has been in full session here with middle school, jr high, and high school only twice a week in person. That will change come March, everyone goes back full time.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some interesting posts in this thread. Myrtle Beach had tons of space in commercial parks and we have been to Piegeon Forge twice on a weeks notice. I have been up through WV, central PA, MD, VA, SC, and FL in the past year and not once failed to find a camp ground. Only one I saw close to full was Winchester, VA. Heading back down to FL in a couple of weeks. I try not to make it complicated. Did see a full rest area near West Palm Beach first FL trip but the next one was empty. We have been out a lot in the last year mostly in the SE, some restrictions but not much. I have got both my Covid shots!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics